SUMMER IN NAGASAKI

ant
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by ant »

:D Ok the Dante Trilogy may not be to everyone's taste but to say that Inferno and Paradiso are truly awful is only your opinion of the works rattymouse but you cannot actually say that they are. Who can? One person, like you, may think that but another may really like them. I, like a lot of people thought Purgatorio was the best but I would not say the other two were awful, I just didn't like them as much. Edgar put a hell of a lot of his blood, sweat and tears into the whole project and putting Dante's works to music is an enormous task that many a musician couldn't even try to do so I think on that basis alone Edgar should get nothing but praise for his efforts. Whether you like it all or not I think it is an amazing achievement. As a matter of fact I like Inferno more now than I did at the start and that is because listening to the music whilst watching the DVD made it much more impressive, so I hope Edgar eventually releases the other two on DVD also. HAVING SAID ALL THAT THIS IS, BY THE WAY, WELL OFF TOPIC!!! :D
Biggus Dickus
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

Listening to 11:02 & SWISIS Track 3 back to back i got the feeling that the Track 3 might have been the initial composition for 11:02 to be removed later and replaced with the current sound or am i just imagining this.
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

bigmoog wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
bigmoog wrote:the final section of track 7 is so cinematic and potent (when one knows the theme)....that BM feels that musically this series may well be Edgars real masterpiece, (that dante very nearly attained).....maybe its the subject matter, perhaps its how we approach the historic and true nature of the nagasaki and hiroshima attacks....the atomic season was horrific and oddly detached from our existence, the terrible power unleashed, the incredible total destruction...the solemn truth that mans genius yet stupidity could destroy utterly in nanoseconds an entire city and all life....

cinema has tried, words try, but really, its true: only music can invoke the true, awesome power and silence of those days in 1945 when humans unleashed the awful beast of the atomic sun

no more words, let the music speak for itself
Not sure how you can say that the Dante series nearly attained masterpiece status. Inferno and Paradiso are truly awful. Purgatorio IS a masterpiece but by itself cannot right the damage caused by the other two.

well Ratty, I did say 'nearly' which is of course not 'actually', with a bit more attention and maybe more time on the compositions of inferno and paradiso (which has some passages of brilliance), the Dante trilogy may well have attained masterpiece status......indeed I find it extremely flawed yet sincere.
Oh yes, it is very sincere. Not at all commercial due to it's crushing length. I just wish that the power of Purgatorio were found in the first and third albums. I find them virtually unlistenable. Or if I do listen to them, I am put right to sleep.
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

Off topic gents :?:
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

alipaul wrote:Off topic gents :?:
New thread appropriately started elsewhere... Ta BM!

I have yet to receive Summertime, but cannot wait for this next instalment. But what took this off topic in the first place was a question of what may be the cause of the new 'direction'...

Good question, but my guess is that part of the answer is that Edgar has moved on from the Dante project and the very personal reasons behind it.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
24db

Post by 24db »

billythefish wrote:

I have yet to receive Summertime, but cannot wait for this next instalment. But what took this off topic in the first place was a question of what may be the cause of the new 'direction'...

Good question, but my guess is that part of the answer is that Edgar has moved on from the Dante project and the very personal reasons behind it.
Make sure you review it when you've heard it mate
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

billythefish wrote:

Hmmm! Sounds like you're suggesting a certain amount of 'closure' and you may well be right. Young Edgar has certainly taken on a new lease of life and has even been caught smiling at a concert. :wink:
nightmare strand

Post by nightmare strand »

Haven't received my copy of Summer in Nagasaki as yet, but must say how reassuring it is to hear such praise for Edgar's latest composition. IMHO much of Edgar's recent work brave and varied as much of it has been, seemed a tad overshadowed by Thorsten's contributions in terms of versatility and listenability. It's tremendous that the Maestro has more tricks up his sleeve than I gave him credit for, and I'm quite happy to be choked on my own scepticism. I had certain reservations on first hearing that it was a solo effort, now I can't wait.

Does anyone else wonder if Thorsten would appreciate longer timescales to explore his compositional possibilities within TD. Edgar seems built for the task, but can we reasonably expect others to be blessed with such fertile imaginations amidst such intense work ethics. Very few could stand the pace or posess such talent.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

NS

suin has depth and menace and composed focus not heard in TD music for some considerable time, the more i listen to the 2 of 5 the more i enjoy, massively good, melodic, sequencial, evocative and sublimely beautiful electronica.....because I believe Edgar still and always knows something :

how to imagine
...The wise.....are silent.....
MrCox

Post by MrCox »

I have to agree.
On "Jeanne d'Arc" and "Madcap's Flaming Duty" I enjoyed Thorsten's compositions more than Edgar's (they're not bad either, but you know what I mean :wink: ). But on the "Atomic Seasons" Edgar's contributions are simply perfect and the fact that SuIN is almost an Edgar solo album doesn't matter; this music is simply wonderful, thought-provoking and full of emotion. :D
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

bigmoog wrote:NS

suin has depth and menace and composed focus not heard in TD music for some considerable time, the more i listen to the 2 of 5 the more i enjoy, massively good, melodic, sequencial, evocative and sublimely beautiful electronica.....because I believe Edgar still and always knows something :

how to imagine
was playing summer most of yesterday and have to say its a grand release IMHO,this will get a lot of airplay here and on the *pod :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
ant

Post by ant »

:D SIMPLY THE WORK OF A MUSICAL GENIUS. :D
Biggus Dickus
TDludo

Post by TDludo »

I agree with all your messages : SuIN is simply incredible, fantastic, and so on...

Edgar proves that music can describe anything, if you have enough talent to "translate" events, thoughts and emotions into notes. How is Edgar capable of showing us the two atomic explosions, and in two very different ways ? It's really impressive... :shock:

I think the first bomb is seen "from outside", I mean from the point of view of the entire nation, feeling the horror and absurdity of it. But the second bomb is almost seen "from inside", from the point of view of the people who saw it in the sky, then the winds arrived and destroyed everything. Maybe it's Ayumi seeing it... These tracks go really farther than music.
A new cosmic address for the Master Dreamer...
24db

Post by 24db »

Excellent disc...not flawless, but brilliant nevertheless
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

Jeez I wish my goodies would arrive. I thought It would ne a bit cheaper from CDS but after working out the cost it would've been about the same. :oops: