The Virgin Defintiive editions

bigmoog
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by bigmoog »

24db wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
24db wrote: 1978? any chance you exchange Cyclone for some Punk?

post punk Andy, post punk :wink: :P :P
Nah...the shelves were still full of dusty punk back then...all in the bargain bins ;)

BM prepares to point finger :P
...The wise.....are silent.....
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:
24db wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
post punk Andy, post punk :wink: :P :P
Nah...the shelves were still full of dusty punk back then...all in the bargain bins ;)

you know I'm right
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

24db wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
24db wrote: Nah...the shelves were still full of dusty punk back then...all in the bargain bins ;)

you know I'm right

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

in fact there was no shame for me when I bought Cyclone, despite being very heavily into poonk rawk, I mean it man......... :D
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:
24db wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
you know I'm right

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

in fact there was no shame for me when I bought Cyclone, despite being very heavily into poonk rawk, I mean it man......... :D
Oh...how the rest of the punks must have laughed...hang your mo-hawk in shame man! ;)

Good on yer mate, shows you like a wide range of music...or as the other half describes it 'Pish'!
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

have I told you the story of when I was beaten up by me 'mates' when I was caught with my new copy of Tangram........effers :?
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:have I told you the story of when I was beaten up by me 'mates' when I was caught with my new copy of Tangram........effers :?
Man, I'd shake them by the safety pin at least ;) Obviously you'd never find anything Krautrock in the collection of Punk Rockers...oh the irony ;)

BTW violence isn't the answer...it's just an answer :D
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

24db wrote:
SequenceC wrote:
24db wrote: It's mental Ben, why bother going through all the effort of matching the artwork to the original LPs, pressing the discs...and then joe public have to trawl through 90,000,000 albums on Amazon to spot it, just on the oftchance?.
A dream (hypothetical) package example:

Phaedra: The Ultimate Edition

Contains the original Phaedra, plus unreleased recordings from the recording sessions at The Manor, December 1973

A thick booklet containing information on the TD before signing to Virgin, their recording of Phaedra (with interviews with Edgar, Chris and Peter), photos from the session and an analysis of the album.

That would be incredible for that gorgeous album Image

Yet, the chances of them even correcting all those typos are very slim...
I respect your point mate, but all these 'what ifs'...are so much mental ****ing in the wind. Virgin ain't interested, if it doesn't sell X amount of sales then the beast keeps sleeping.
Unfortunately you're right, highly unlikely they'll ever do that. As stated, they haven't even corrected their typos!

These albums deserve more :(
24db

Post by 24db »

I agree Ben
Marc M

Post by Marc M »

Talking about typos, you mean, for instance the writing on the side of "Exit" and "Thief" : "Tangerine Dream Live" ?! :roll:

What are the remistakes done by Simon Heyworth on Ricochet and Phaedra, in your opinion ?
I didn't actualy listened to those so much since buying the remasters....
I have listened for a few years to the versions on the "Tangents" box set before buying progressively all those remasters...
Rubycon's remaster was very good, at least.
About the inner photos, and notes, well, that's pathetic indeed, especially as they wanted to make people pay so much for them, in the beginning.

What puzzles me is that they still sell pretty much the non-remastered CD editions on Amazon, etc. nowadays ! They must have had a huge number of copies pressed in the late 80's.. or maybe the people, realizing the sound and packaging on the initial CD pressing was so terribly poor, they boycotted them... which I did, indeed, after noticing how terrible the sound of Stratosfear and Rubycon was. I much preferred my cracking LP Of Stratosfear but honestly, I think my pressing of the LP wasn't so great either... "3 AM" for instance, was a bit saturated at one point when the volume raises rapidly after the intro...
24db

Post by 24db »

Marc M wrote:Talking about typos, you mean, for instance the writing on the side of "Exit" and "Thief" : "Tangerine Dream Live" ?! :roll:

What are the remistakes done by Simon Heyworth on Ricochet and Phaedra, in your opinion ?
well, not exactly 'my' opinion, just for the record:

Phaedra: the end of the title track has the sound of children playing...this was moved by mistake to the beginning of track 2

Ricochet: The start of part 2 should be a simple clapping sound (or foot steps, depending on who's theory you listen to), this was d-e-leted completely on the remaster. IMHO it's part of the track...and therefore an error.

To be fair they're all minor errors, but something most fans would spot immediately (so from that we can guess that Virgin never ask/asked anyone to check...fans or group alike). As far as the sound quality is concerned, well that's pretty subjective, tastes and equipment differ. I'd imagine most TD fans kept their copies of the original Virgin CDs alongside their 'new' DE discs....or at least I did ;) At least they didn't **** up entire albums or press them with the sound reversed (which has happened to TD on several occasions)

The typos are half understandable, at least the 'live' bit...but getting the names of the members of the group wrong is an insult (Would they do this on a Beatles or Rolling Stones album?). I seem to remember Johannes being surprised about this with Conrad interviewed him several years back (his credit going to Peter Baumann). There are several mistakes with the track titles as well. Perhaps Virgin just made a rod for their back by labelling them as the 'Definitive Editions'. I think we've all sussed the 'remastering' gimmick for what it is, or at least realise that 99 times out of the 100 remastering might improve 2 things on a CD, but it's quite likely that 1 thing will be messed up along the way (sound, artwork, editing, compression, typos, or photos that have nothing to do with the recording that they adorn...my own pet hate!). Having said that life isn't perfect, so perhaps we shouldn't expect remasters to be either.
Last edited by 24db on Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

24db wrote: getting the names of the members of the group wrong is an insult (Would they do this on a Beatles or Rolling Stones album?). I seem to remember Johannes being surprised about this with Conrad interviewed him several years back (his credit going to Peter Baumann I seem to remember).
I think Johannes has a very strong case to sue Virgin.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Peter Beasley wrote:
24db wrote: getting the names of the members of the group wrong is an insult (Would they do this on a Beatles or Rolling Stones album?). I seem to remember Johannes being surprised about this with Conrad interviewed him several years back (his credit going to Peter Baumann I seem to remember).
I think Johannes has a very strong case to sue Virgin.
Last edited by epsilon75 on Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
24db

Post by 24db »

Error's:

Phaedra=Peter's surname, Strand is mispelt Stand, Track indexing

Rubycon=none?

Ricochet=Clapping intro missing from Part 2

Stratosfear=Peter's surname, 3AM track details

Cyclone=Klaus left off the rear cover & inner sleeve credits, Bent Cold Sidewalk mispelt

Force Majeure=none?

Tangram=Johannes replaced with Peter Baumann's on the rear cover credits, albeit mispelt (also the inner cover, but Johannes is mentioned correctly once).

Thief=two tracks are reversed, Edgar's surname mispelt, Johannes's credit given to Peter Baumann, spine says it's live

Exit=too many to list :)...Live on the spine, two spelling mistakes in the track name Pilots of the Purple Twilight (also on the disc and inner sleeve), Peter is credited instead of Johannes, the word 'viewing' is missed off Remote Viewing on the rear cover and disc. The number 23 is missing from 'Network 23' on the inner sleeve. Edgar's surname is mispelt Frose...twice. Monique's surname is mispelt once.

White Eagle=none?

Hyperborea=Sphinx Lightning mispelt on the disc
Last edited by 24db on Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

24db wrote:Error's:

Rubycon=none?

Cyclone=Klaus left off the rear cover & inner sleeve credits, Bent Cold Sidewalk mispelt

Force Majeure=none?

Tangram=Johannes replaced with Peter Baumann's on the rear cover credits, albeit mispelt (also the inner cover, but Johannes is mentioned correctly once).

Thief=two tracks are reversed, Edgar's surname mispelt, Johannes's credit given to Peter Baumann

Exit=too many to list :)

cheers,was going to ask what the errors were, I still have to get many of the older albums on CD so might look for different versions
har

Post by har »

24db wrote:Error's:

Rubycon=none?

Force Majeure=none?

Thief=two tracks are reversed, Edgar's surname mispelt, Johannes's credit given to Peter Baumann

Exit=too many to list :)
When considering all these errors, its a disgrace, especially the Tangram and Thief situation.

Would be interested in the EXIT ones, in case I have absorbed more incorrect information :wink: