I Wish I Knew How This Works...

TheMan
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

I Wish I Knew How This Works...

Post by TheMan »

Since I travel to China so much, I have always had an affection for the title of TD's album, Great Wall of China. I know this is supposedly a soundtrack album, but I can find no evidence that this film exists for public consumption. It must be some Chinese person's home movie.

Anyhoo, Ever since I got this album, many many years ago, I just didnt like it. I tried, more than ANY other TD album, I tried to like it. Dozens and dozens of times, and the a dozen more times. Just couldnt get into it. The album had no hook to it. Nothing that could just yank me into whatever story it told.

Now, for whatever insane reason, I LOVE THIS ALBUM TO DEATH!!! How can this be? I wish I knew. I wish I knew what magic EF works that just makes great art. It's up to me to see it. Up to me, to find it.

I think the instrumentation used on Great Wall of China is just wonderful. Listening ever so carefully, I hear beautiful sounds, just ever so slightly behind the main melody and rhythms. It is SOOO subtle. Perhaps it is this subtlety that is what I find so fascinating now. And how I missed it for oh so long.

Anyway, its like having a brand new TD album.

Question: Has any of Great Wall of China ever been played live? Mien Tan? Anything?
j_pertou

Re: I Wish I Knew How This Works...

Post by j_pertou »

TheMan wrote:Question: Has any of Great Wall of China ever been played live?
"No More Candles Burning" was performed in Frankfurt 2007.
redziller

Post by redziller »

I had a not dissimilar experience with White Eagle - wasn't happy with the drum machines and what seemed quite a poppy album. It was a matter of faith in TD that there was something more to it that kept me listening.

Perhaps it's having that faith justified despite initial misgivings that strengthens one's respect after the initial disappointment.

Or is it like the moment when a woman you've known for a while and paid little attention to suddenly has a certain something? Getting carried away there :oops:
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
71 dB

Post by 71 dB »

The quality of music is one thing, how we perceive it is another. We like what we hear when we are "tuned" to the music. Most people are very simple, even stupid. They think the music is simply bad if they don't like it here and now. Quality music tends to suffer from this stupidity while calculated commercial music benefits from it.

How much I like a piece of music is a function of time. I remember one time when I started to listen to an album by the superb Danish soft rock band Kashmir and I didn't like the music at all. I simply wasn't in the mood for that kind of music. I have learned that when you explore new bands and music, it's important to analyse the potential of the music rather than how much you like it the first time you here it. When I am about to find a new favorite group, I go like "Wow, this sounds like I am going to love it sooner or later!" King Crimson's music seems to work this way very clearly. I think every KC album I have bought don't appeal to me that strongly the first time but the second listening makes me love the music.

TD doesn't make bad music, only between good and excellent (according to what I have heard). If a certain TD album doesn't sound good, just try it at a later time.
redziller

Post by redziller »

I think you'll find ~50% of people have above average intelligence :wink:
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

71 dB

Post by 71 dB »

redziller wrote:I think you'll find ~50% of people have above average intelligence :wink:
Yes, by definition but commercial media does the "dumping down" trick to clever people too. It's more about having an open mind rather than having Einstein's IQ.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

redziller wrote:I had a not dissimilar experience with White Eagle - wasn't happy with the drum machines and what seemed quite a poppy album. It was a matter of faith in TD that there was something more to it that kept me listening.
That's a common experience for me. I've got quite a few examples; Cyclone, Ziet, Hyperborea, Inferno, EF's Pinnacles and more recently Chandra, to name just a few. I've learnt, over the years, to hold off on making snap decisions. Sometimes it down to a change in mood, something TD can't predict when they release an album.
redziller

Post by redziller »

71 dB wrote:
redziller wrote:I think you'll find ~50% of people have above average intelligence :wink:
Yes, by definition but commercial media does the "dumping down" trick to clever people too. It's more about having an open mind rather than having Einstein's IQ.
OK - I was being flipant. But then I considered the average probably changes over time so... 50% now compared to 50% before pop was the dreary commercial paste it is now? Hard to compare. But perhaps we'd agree that despite more a greater spectrum of music being so much more easily available than say even 10 years ago, people tend to stick to what's familiar - maybe in 10 more years 90% people (in the west) will listen to 10% of all music kept on a dozen global playlists - :shock:
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

redziller

Post by redziller »

Chris Monk wrote:
redziller wrote:I had a not dissimilar experience with White Eagle - wasn't happy with the drum machines and what seemed quite a poppy album. It was a matter of faith in TD that there was something more to it that kept me listening.
That's a common experience for me. I've got quite a few examples; Cyclone, Ziet, Hyperborea, Inferno, EF's Pinnacles and more recently Chandra, to name just a few. I've learnt, over the years, to hold off on making snap decisions. Sometimes it down to a change in mood, something TD can't predict when they release an album.
Indeed, and it's a great part of the attraction for me, knowing you may not get it straight off the bat.
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

Okefenokee

Post by Okefenokee »

I sold GWOC together with some other TD albums from the 90s (Quinoia, Transsiberia, Ambient Monkeys, What A Blast). It was a time when I really got bored with TD and I wanted to reduce my CD collection. I don't know what I would think today, when I would listen to these albums again.
Generally, I don't sell any albums. I discovered many good albums in my collection that I didn't really like when I bought them.
TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Okefenokee wrote:I sold GWOC together with some other TD albums from the 90s (Quinoia, Transsiberia, Ambient Monkeys, What A Blast). It was a time when I really got bored with TD and I wanted to reduce my CD collection. I don't know what I would think today, when I would listen to these albums again.
Generally, I don't sell any albums. I discovered many good albums in my collection that I didn't really like when I bought them.
What a Blast is a FANTASTIC album! My #1 album to hike through foreign cities with!
Mars

Tangerman tries to explain TD.....

Post by Mars »

It`s only The Magic of TD that occurs here :-) I guess we all have had similaire experiences. Either BANG! I loved that song....or it`s sneaking upon you and grab your soul eventually. It`s the "unexplainable" thing about TD...and the reason why I (and all of you,I guess), love this band.
When somebody ask me: Why do you love TD?
What??? I can`t really describe it, because it has something to do with my soul. I can hear a TD song together with someone, and then I say listen now....And the person says: "Nothing special there?"
But that`s exactly what it is! Special! And they don`t really listen at all!
Then I must describe, that there is actually 3 melodies you are listening to. The background-the in between and the top layer, and then it all blends in like a composition. It`s hard to explain TD songs to people that don`t really listen, and missing out on all the true beauty! ;-)
Tropylium

Post by Tropylium »

The only TD album I remember actually "clicking" to any extent is Phaedra (back when I was first getting into TD). All others made their case more or less clear from the get-go.

It's possible for my opinion on an album to fluctuate up or down over time, but if the first half a dozen tries won't do anything special, it's clear the album won't turn into a special fave. It might turn into a likeable album, maybe with a handful of choice tracks, but I'd rather have something that I can like even without familiarity/nostalgy/analysis/whatever. BTW, don't think that this means I prefer my music disposable. The best music out there can be appreciated both immediately, as well as on a deeper level after becoming familiar with it.

I suppose my point is, if a comparision is made between music that needs to be worn in, and music that gets worn out, the former will be just a waste of time for the first plays; but the latter can be put aside as soon as it starts getting old.