Your favourite band before discovering Tangerine Dream.

Pertou
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Your favourite band before discovering Tangerine Dream.

Post by Pertou »

I have always had a favourite band. Now, it's TD off course, but before that it was more rock-oriented

As a kid I was allowed to play my mother's records (which explain why they look like they do now). I mainly listened to a group called Gasolin', because I understood what they sang (at least I thought I did).

My father is responsible for me liking The Who. He did a massive work for me to like them.

As an early teenager, it was suddenly very cool to like The Doors. I found there was/is a lot of great music there, and kept on going much longer than my class mates. It was when I started collecting albums.
Jim Morrison's charisma was attractive, and I was looking for dangerous bands.

Discovering Black Sabbath in my late teens, was just what I needed. I was a frustrated young man, and the heaviness was so appealing to me.

Then a came period with everything getting heavier and heavier, and I stopped with Opeth, which become another favourite band, they haven't lost much interest.
They are skilled musicians, and that was more important than the heaviness.
With a turntable for my 18th birthday, I could finally buy a lot of cheap albums, and I went for high quality musicianship, and Mike Oldfield and Genesis were rivalling for my attention.
I liked the journeys in music, and after reading through my rock encyclopedias, I decided on giving Tangerine Dream a chance, and bought Rubycon.
The rest as we say...is history.

TD has really changed my life. There's always new stuff to keep me hanging, and I will forever. I'm sure you have a similar background.
Froesesque

Post by Froesesque »

When I was a kiddlywink I was heavily into Queen, a band that like TD must be a band applauded for their diversity, especially if you listen to their albums all the way through.

Then around '87 and 88' time I started listening to the few albums of Jean Michel Jarre and Vangelis that Dad had, caused a spark in my head. I brought Equinoxe in '89 and stopped listening to chart music.

I was urged by a friend of my brothers to try TD in around '89 or '90. Brought 'The Collection' and hated it's guts, but in '90 brought 'Optical Race', loved that. Got 'Force Majeure' the next year from libary. Never looked back!

< Harry the Hedgehog not like TD, except for Linda. Harry loves 'The Spice Girls'. Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!. Each to his own!
You were only supposed to blow the bladdy doors off!!!!
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

My tastes evolved very quickly in the late sixties. I loved the Shadows early on, The Beatles, Buddy Holly, Walter/Wendy Carlos and then I hit thirteen and my world exploded open. I missed the late sixties "Hippy" bands (I should have had an older brother to educate me musically).

A casual question about the Top Of The Pops theme music of the time "led" me to Led Zeppelin, then on to Pink Floyd, ELP, TONTO's Expanding Headband etc.

.....and then I heard Phaedra...................................................
Hyperboreauk

Post by Hyperboreauk »

I was a massive fan of Queen & ELO in the 70's before EM took over in 1980.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

Prior to my discovery of TD in 1974, I probably listened to Mott The Hoople, more than any other band.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

Hyperboreauk wrote:I was a massive fan of Queen & ELO in the 70's before EM took over in 1980.

I liked early ELO, but their best albums are Face The Music and A New World Record IMO. They started losing the plot for me during Out Of The Blue, which still has some great tracks on it. The only Queen song I like is Seven Seas Of Rhye.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

The very first record I bought at the age of 9 was Monster Mash by Bobby (Boris) Pickett and the Crypt Kickers. Strangely I found out today he died last month at the age of 69. In 1975 my dad bought a music centre (remember those) First LP was an early Abba one then ELO's A new world Record. IN 1977 I listened to a wee transistor radio in bed and was mesmerized by John Peel's show. He was almost exclucively playing punk and the one band which jumped out at me was The Stranglers. They were my first love till I discovered Rush and their magnum opus 2112. Rush were my fave for about 10 years and then slowly but surely TD edged them slightly off my radar. I used to say I liked the music of Klaus Schulze a bit more than TD but nowadays they are about even stevens.

KS & TD are my two passions and there are no other bands or artists that will ever come near to them there is hardly a day passes when at least two albums by the aformentioned artists get a spin.
stevo4

Post by stevo4 »

The first music anything i owned was a Jim Croce Best of cassette tape for my 7th birthday.

I first heard of TD was opening weekend of Risky Business in Boston. I remember i had a day off from work and the poster looked interesting and went in to a matinee. (had no idea who Rebecca DeMorney was or who Tom Cruise was) It was totally by chance that i was where i was and what movie i saw (i was literally driving down a busy road and had an impulse to just see some movie and pulled into a multiplex). It must have been fate that i found myself loving that movie, not because of DeMorney's cold body or the Porsche, but 'Love on a Real Train' and other tracks that TD did. I had to see the movie again, and then went on the search for TD music. First album was 'exit' and then 4 or five that came out before and after that. But most important was searching for the Risky Business import soundtrack which was most illusive for many months here in LA.

Stevo
RemoteViewing81

Post by RemoteViewing81 »

Weather Report / Brand X / Return to Forever/ Nektar

:)
"The aim of the music [of Tangerine Dream] is to paint surreal pictures with musical instruments."

http://www.voices-in-the-net.de/voiceshm.htm
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Started off listening to Pink Floyd, then Led Zep, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple. Soon after that I got into Yes in a big way, I still remember the day that Melody Maker announced that Rick Wakeman had left Yes..... for the first time. I was so upset. :roll:

I still listen to Yes and Floyd but have no Zep or Purple in my CD collection at all. Strangely I do have some Sabbath but can't remember the last time I listened to them.
endorphin

Post by endorphin »

Before I discovered TD, I was an old school Goth and very much into the early 1980's scene (Bauhaus, Theatre of Hate, Danse Society, Xmal Deutschland, Southern Death Cult etc) but by late 80's my tastes had widened to take in more Spacey/Psychedelic stuff like Hawkwind and Ozric Tentacles as well as the Electronic Body Music scene eg Front 242, Nitzer Ebb, Cassandra Complex etc. It was from there that I was introduced to and fell in love with Tangerine Dream's music.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

endorphin wrote:Before I discovered TD, I was an old school Goth and very much into the early 1980's scene (Bauhaus, Theatre of Hate, Danse Society, Xmal Deutschland, Southern Death Cult etc) but by late 80's my tastes had widened to take in more Spacey/Psychedelic stuff like Hawkwind and Ozric Tentacles as well as the Electronic Body Music scene eg Front 242, Nitzer Ebb, Cassandra Complex etc. It was from there that I was introduced to and fell in love with Tangerine Dream's music.
Front 242 were a fine act. I listened to them a lot, along with the excellent Clan Of Xymox.
24db

Post by 24db »

that wasn't any music before TD it was just tuning up!
endorphin

Post by endorphin »

Hobo wrote:
endorphin wrote:Before I discovered TD, I was an old school Goth and very much into the early 1980's scene (Bauhaus, Theatre of Hate, Danse Society, Xmal Deutschland, Southern Death Cult etc) but by late 80's my tastes had widened to take in more Spacey/Psychedelic stuff like Hawkwind and Ozric Tentacles as well as the Electronic Body Music scene eg Front 242, Nitzer Ebb, Cassandra Complex etc. It was from there that I was introduced to and fell in love with Tangerine Dream's music.
Front 242 were a fine act. I listened to them a lot, along with the excellent Clan Of Xymox.
Unfortunately Clan Of Xymox just passed me by and I've a feeling I missed out there as a result. One band I did love from that era was a rather quirky band from Hull (I think) called Indians In Moscow who should have been huge but sadly disappeared without trace after one album. They were an indie/goth/electronic crossover band with a surreal sense of humour which is typified by their infamous track "Jack Pelter and his S.ex Change Chicken"
Last edited by endorphin on Sun May 13, 2007 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timer

Post by timer »

I was initially a huge fan of Queen, then got into Vangelis around the time of Albedo 0.39 ,around '79' i heard Sorceror and Rubycon and was totally hooked.