Optical Race

alipaul
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by alipaul »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: GOD I'M FEELING OLD
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
DaveAS

Post by DaveAS »

Chris Monk wrote:Just listened to Optical Race from start to finish and it sounds great. Even Marakesh sounded pretty cool.... beginning to regret giving it a dissing. Should have listened to the album before commenting. Ghazal (Love Song), what a great way to finish an album.

was this the album TD were criticised for using Atari rather than PC?

-If so; the critics were muppets.
Several folks on Tadream managed to talk absolute b*****ks and suggest that the Atari computers were responsible for the actual instrument sounds. I always got a good laugh out of this - that anybody could think a group was using the Atari's own sound chip as a synth really beggars belief.

Back in the late 80s there really wasn't anything to touch the Atari+Cubase combination for MIDI sequencing. PCs certainly weren't a viable alternative until much much later.

As for OR: my first TD album and always one I have fond memories of. I love the way Marakesh effortlessly switches gears between its slow intro/outros and the more pacey middle section.

Whilst the whole album is very light on bass, in other respects the production is absolutely top notch with the clearest sound stage of any TD album and full use of dynamic range without the heavy compression you hear on more recent releases. Its a shame, then, that many people will only hear this album in its current, "Melrose Years" form with seemingly-random extra percussion and a sound muddied by the rather ham-fisted application of effects across the whole mix.

Cheers,
Dave
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

Looks like I`m in the minority on this one then :o
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

DaveAS wrote:Several folks on Tadream managed to talk absolute b*****ks and suggest that the Atari computers were responsible for the actual instrument sounds. I always got a good laugh out of this - that anybody could think a group was using the Atari's own sound chip as a synth really beggars belief.
ROFL. I'm a complete EM novice, despite being a fan of TD for over 30 years, and even I know that one. Got to be honest I couldn't care what it's been produced with, it's still cracking music.
MrCox

Post by MrCox »

"Optical Race" is my favourite Melrose Years album by far. I'm just listening to it right now.

After I bought this CD I was a bit disappointed, but maybe this feeling arose because it was so different from TD's music of the early 80's. The pieces seemed to be too simple and somehow lighter in tone than expected
But over the years I appreciated this music more and more. "Marakesh", "Mothers Of Rain", "Sun Gate" and "Ghazal" are extraordinary compositions. I even like the title track; it's a bit corny perhaps, but I consider this a "fun composition" and you can dance to it if you like. :wink: TD music doesn't have to be serious all the time, does it?
Even some pieces I hated after the first listens grew on me: Especially "Atlas Eyes" is such a grower, nowadays I can't get enough of it. The only tunes I don't like that much are "Twin Soul Tribe" and "Turning Off The Wheel".

I also don't mind the somehow clinical digital production. The sound is so sharp and focussed that I don't have any problems with this CD. It's a great album.
timer

Post by timer »

Can't say Im too keen on this CD as a whole !.
SydneyFC

Post by SydneyFC »

Just downloaded this from eastgate...although am I right in assuming that it is quite a different version from the original? I really like this record and I'm really interested in exploring this period so I am going to get Lily on the Beach. I already have Melrose.
"Sydney till I Die"
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

I really cherish Optical Race, its dated for sure...but hmmm....sungate :D
...The wise.....are silent.....
hansx

Post by hansx »

This isn't a bad album at all. I like it. Remember that, when I bought it after the release, I have played it for days. I couldn't get enough of it.
For me it is one of the last albums with a lot of rhythm and sequance. Somthing I still miss in the cd of the last years. The songs are live still outstanding and usually a topic in the concert.
Beaubourg

Post by Beaubourg »

SydneyFC wrote:Just downloaded this from eastgate...although am I right in assuming that it is quite a different version from the original? I really like this record and I'm really interested in exploring this period so I am going to get Lily on the Beach. I already have Melrose.
Yes - the version of Optical Race avail on the download store is a slightly (insert term here) version from that of the original Private release from '88 (with additional "added on" layers of guitars and bongos).

The same goes for both the Melrose and Lily sets at the store as well (ie. the entire Melrose Years package).
SydneyFC

Post by SydneyFC »

hansx wrote:This isn't a bad album at all. I like it. Remember that, when I bought it after the release, I have played it for days. I couldn't get enough of it.
For me it is one of the last albums with a lot of rhythm and sequance. Somthing I still miss in the cd of the last years. The songs are live still outstanding and usually a topic in the concert.
Must admit I am having the same experience at the moment. I have played it a couple of times already and I am looking forward to playing it heaps more. Thoroughly enjoyable.
"Sydney till I Die"
HYPERBOREA

Post by HYPERBOREA »

Not one of their best efforts in my unimportant opinion !

In fact I only have it on cassette and used to listen to it in the car quite a bit way back when !

Edgar obviously likes Mothers of Rain and Midnight trail as they've been played live alot in recent years
24db

Post by 24db »

I've always liked OR, bar the title track.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:14 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've always liked it, bar the title track which was cheesy in 1989 and hasn't improved since.

:)
SydneyFC

Post by SydneyFC »

bigmoog wrote:I really cherish Optical Race, its dated for sure...but hmmm....sungate :D
Sungate is a truely great track. It does stand out head and shoulders above the other tracks on this record. The record as a whole however is still very good in IMO.
"Sydney till I Die"