Steve Jolliffe on live performances

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Steve Jolliffe on live performances

Post by 24db »

What constitutes a good live performance in your opinion? What’s your approach to performing on stage?

Live performance is a tricky one for a composer, especially when most of your work is created through improvisation and careful editing. I sometimes feel it would be better to sit with the audience and enjoy listening to a polished sound system. Playing along to preprogrammed sequencers or watching people pretending to turn knobs to a backing track leaves me cold. To really capture the magic it needs to be a one off with no preconcieved crutches. I intend my next concert to be a completely live affair.

hmmm?
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

:shock:

one for the grizzlies methinks :arrow:
...The wise.....are silent.....
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote::shock:

one for the grizzlies methinks :arrow:
I think we might be making a connection that isn't there...but it makes you think
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

agreed, depends how you read it.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

You hear what you want to hear. As you say, it's a matter of interpretation.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

of course, when I read it, its just an opinion in isolation....dont want to add fuel to any fire, so I apologise for my post :oops:
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:of course, when I read it, its just an opinion in isolation....dont want to add fuel to any fire, so I apologise for my post :oops:
totally agree mate, it's amusing that anyone can put their own spin on a short paragraph...hence why i posted it.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

bigmoog wrote:of course, when I read it, its just an opinion in isolation....dont want to add fuel to any fire, so I apologise for my post :oops:
No apology required old chap. As Andy has hinted, you can put your own spin on just about anything.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
EDWEIRDO

Post by EDWEIRDO »

I saw Steve Jollife live at a UK Electronica Festival in Sheffield, in 1984 or thereabouts - he was excellent, and if memory serves me well he played some stuff from the Japanese Butterfly album . Also on the bill were Neuronium and a stupendous set by Mark Shreeve.
24db

Post by 24db »

EDWEIRDO wrote:I saw Steve Jollife live at a UK Electronica Festival in Sheffield, in 1984 or thereabouts - he was excellent, and if memory serves me well he played some stuff from the Japanese Butterfly album . Also on the bill were Neuronium and a stupendous set by Mark Shreeve.
blimey that was some time ago mate. That's when Steve was still on the Pulse label...happy days
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

bm wants to say: steve jolliffe is a genius and neuronium are excellent especially quasar and digital dream. nice EM
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:bm wants to say: steve jolliffe is a genius and neuronium are excellent especially quasar and digital dream. nice EM
I can't complain about Neuronium...I was in their fan club :)
EDWEIRDO

Post by EDWEIRDO »

24db wrote:
EDWEIRDO wrote:I saw Steve Jollife live at a UK Electronica Festival in Sheffield, in 1984 or thereabouts - he was excellent, and if memory serves me well he played some stuff from the Japanese Butterfly album . Also on the bill were Neuronium and a stupendous set by Mark Shreeve.
blimey that was some time ago mate. That's when Steve was still on the Pulse label...happy days
I was obviously just a child back then Andy :wink: Pulse: 'music for the interior life'.

I've been racking my brains trying to remember who else were there. Paul Nagle played live. Chris And Cosey has a stall :!: and I remember speaking to the lads from Altres. SJ was amazed I had travelled from Glasgow and told me he had family here.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

EDWEIRDO wrote:
24db wrote:
I was obviously just a child back then Andy :wink: Pulse: 'music for the interior life'.

I've been racking my brains trying to remember who else were there. Paul Nagle played live. Chris And Cosey has a stall :!: and I remember speaking to the lads from Altres. SJ was amazed I had travelled from Glasgow and told me he had family here.

aha, chris and cosey, CTI ....velly awesome body of work

i also like coil :arrow:
24db

Post by 24db »

EDWEIRDO wrote:
24db wrote:

Ah that makes sense...the relatives bit.

I think I threw out my copy of E&MM years ago that covered that concert (probably a good job really as I kept all the other c.rap :D), I vaguely remember that Inkey$ audio magazine covered it as well. They certainly had a nice interview with Dave Lawrence from Pulse records.