Metaphor

epsilon75
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by epsilon75 »

battema wrote:
JD wrote:Yeah I like this one too ! I'm not 100% sure about the vocal track, not because its vocals, but because it sounds like it was written by a non native speaker, there are accents on the wrong part of words that sound awkward, but this has always been the case with TD songs IMO.
This is the same person who sang on "Metropolis Poetry" from Picture Palace Music. That song was freaking fantastic IMHO...with his particular vocal tone it was almost like TD crossed with Brendan Perry-led Dead Can Dance.

I know the mp3 of that song isn't on the PPM site anymore...but it may be in the MySpace player. Well worth hunting down.

Its still on their Myspace page and it is indeed very good :wink: as is the Metropolis theme.............. :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

:D

I have listened repeatedly to Metaphor, and have further thoughts.

The music is 'fatter' and more satisfyingly 'tangerinedream' than many recent releases, by that I mean it sounds more layered and composed and focussed, more immediately enjoyable - ie, I liked it on first listening...its great not having to 'get into' the music as I had to do with dante....etc......best listened to loud in headphones....track 2 and 3 have solid bass.....and sheer TD ness )you know what I mean......

my only gripe is track 4's repetitiveness.....it seems to drag without a focus...but the vocals work...its mournful and interesting....near folky and progressive....(!)
...The wise.....are silent.....
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

My favourite track so far is the Third Reality. It starts with a nice fat sequencer and keeps drifting of into a more ambient sound, but every now and then the sequencer keeps dragging it back to it's EM roots, as if to say no you don't. Brilliant stuff.

This track could easily have been extended to include other styles of music. A 20 minute version would be great. :wink:
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I put this ep on repeat just the other day which is something I hardly ever do. and I must say I love it. It is the best thing TD have done in a good while. I hope they can bring a whole album out with the quality of this ep.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Chris Monk wrote:My favourite track so far is the Third Reality. It starts with a nice fat sequencer and keeps drifting of into a more ambient sound, but every now and then the sequencer keeps dragging it back to it's EM roots, as if to say no you don't. Brilliant stuff.

This track could easily have been extended to include other styles of music. A 20 minute version would be great. :wink:
I think tracks two and three are my personal favorites here...........its a very nice little ep all round with some great music t'boot......Track two sound very similar at the start to a "Leftfield" track i cant get my head around at the mo............more of the same please :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
battema

Post by battema »

epsilon75 wrote:
battema wrote:This is the same person who sang on "Metropolis Poetry" from Picture Palace Music. That song was freaking fantastic IMHO...with his particular vocal tone it was almost like TD crossed with Brendan Perry-led Dead Can Dance.

I know the mp3 of that song isn't on the PPM site anymore...but it may be in the MySpace player. Well worth hunting down.

Its still on their Myspace page and it is indeed very good :wink: as is the Metropolis theme.............. :wink:
Frankly I have yet to hear a Picture Palace piece that I *didn't* like. Even some of the more rock-oriented bits like "The End of Everything" are still excellent...and when they go for the more atmospheric stuff, it's just superb.

Suffice to say, I'm very happy to see TQ taking an active role in Tangerine Dream.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

battema wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:
battema wrote:This is the same person who sang on "Metropolis Poetry" from Picture Palace Music. That song was freaking fantastic IMHO...with his particular vocal tone it was almost like TD crossed with Brendan Perry-led Dead Can Dance.

Frankly I have yet to hear a Picture Palace piece that I *didn't* like. Even some of the more rock-oriented bits like "The End of Everything" are still excellent...and when they go for the more atmospheric stuff, it's just superb.

Suffice to say, I'm very happy to see TQ taking an active role in Tangerine Dream.
I'm in full agreement John. I'm a big fan of TQ's compositional talents.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
redziller

Post by redziller »

bigmoog wrote::D

I have listened repeatedly to Metaphor, and have further thoughts.

The music is 'fatter' and more satisfyingly 'tangerinedream' than many recent releases, by that I mean it sounds more layered and composed and focussed, more immediately enjoyable - ie, I liked it on first listening...its great not having to 'get into' the music as I had to do with dante....etc......best listened to loud in headphones....track 2 and 3 have solid bass.....and sheer TD ness )you know what I mean......

my only gripe is track 4's repetitiveness.....it seems to drag without a focus...but the vocals work...its mournful and interesting....near folky and progressive....(!)

I agree with the comment on the sound - it's as if there's some new tech or approach that's making more use of the stereo field.

Love 1, 2 & 3. 4's ~OK
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
tangmaster

Post by tangmaster »

A very well done Single with that beautiful last track with the singing. Go on TD with some new atmospheres in music.
The way a world of dreams is going on!
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote::D The music is 'fatter' and more satisfyingly 'tangerinedream' than many recent releases, by that I mean it sounds more layered and composed and focussed...
I found it more improvised and formless :) mind you, still bloody good though
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

:D

er, I think i meant improvised and formless...not composed and focussed

BM leaves forum TD for emforum.nl to discuss :arrow: :D
...The wise.....are silent.....
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote::D

er, I think i meant improvised and formless...not composed and focussed

BM leaves forum TD for emforum.nl to discuss :arrow: :D
Get that gum-shield in! :P
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

redziller wrote:I agree with the comment on the sound - it's as if there's some new tech or approach that's making more use of the stereo field.

Love 1, 2 & 3. 4's ~OK
There's a lot happening in the sub-sonics, my sub-woofer is actually getting some work to do.
redziller

Post by redziller »

Chris Monk wrote:
redziller wrote:I agree with the comment on the sound - it's as if there's some new tech or approach that's making more use of the stereo field.

Love 1, 2 & 3. 4's ~OK
There's a lot happening in the sub-sonics, my sub-woofer is actually getting some work to do.
Perhaps it's also the absence of big percussion
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
ant

Post by ant »

:) Have only played this once so far but my first reactions to it are good. Do not mind the vocals if done well and this one works quite well. Will give another review when I've listened to it a few more times. Who is the vocalist and why is he not mentioned???
Biggus Dickus