Metaphor

billythefish
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by billythefish »

I've listened a few times already and am very excited for the future - I cannot wait for Madcap.

I think there is an interesting progression through Metaphor, starting with a piece that is reminiscent of the Pink Years (there is some distorted guitar way back in the mix that reminds me of an Ohr release). This track also has a bass sound that reminds me a little of Johannes Schmoelling's Wuivend Reit.

The third track is the strongest for me, although I don't like the Dante-esque sequence at the beginning. What I really like is the production and the up-beat and deeply bassy rhythms that are so very distinctively TD.

The final track is my second favourite and a HUGE relief. I was terrified that 'male vocals' could be another Shy People affair with some egotistical rock-head blaring away, and instead we have an atmospheric, melancholic ballad the meanders away: not in a noodling way, but in a very relaxing progressive way. His voice reminds me of Iarla O'Lionard from Afro Celt Sound System.

It's almost as though this EP has been released to summarise a story of TD so far and to prepare us for the future delights of Madcap and beyond.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
24db

Post by 24db »

billythefish wrote:I've listened a few times already and am very excited for the future - I cannot wait for Madcap.

I think there is an interesting progression through Metaphor, starting with a piece that is reminiscent of the Pink Years (there is some distorted guitar way back in the mix that reminds me of an Ohr release). This track also has a bass sound that reminds me a little of Johannes Schmoelling's Wuivend Reit.

The third track is the strongest for me, although I don't like the Dante-esque sequence at the beginning. What I really like is the production and the up-beat and deeply bassy rhythms that are so very distinctively TD.

The final track is my second favourite and a HUGE relief. I was terrified that 'male vocals' could be another Shy People affair with some egotistical rock-head blaring away, and instead we have an atmospheric, melancholic ballad the meanders away: not in a noodling way, but in a very relaxing progressive way. His voice reminds me of Iarla O'Lionard from Afro Celt Sound System.

It's almost as though this EP has been released to summarise a story of TD so far and to prepare us for the future delights of Madcap and beyond.
Have you checked out the Madcap interview yet mate? it has 4? tracks from the album
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:
billythefish wrote:I've listened a few times already and am very excited for the future - I cannot wait for Madcap.

Have you checked out the Madcap interview yet mate? it has 4? tracks from the album

And they are very good to :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

24db wrote:

Not yet - is that somewhere here? Or the elusive Voiceprint CD that appears now to be download only :wink:
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
24db

Post by 24db »

billythefish wrote:
24db wrote:

Not yet - is that somewhere here? Or the elusive Voiceprint CD that appears now to be download only :wink:
Yeah, that's what I meant, somebody posted a link to download it regardless of whether you had iTunes
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

Just got my copy this morning, along with TD Plays TD.

I really like the production of these new releases - lots of "space" and "perspective", which helps to show what CD can really do [in my opinion of course :) ]. The music shows new life as well - hopefully, there can be a move back to "atmosphere" as well as the more purcussive outings...

I wasn't sure what a Jerome free TD would be like. Now it looks like we've got TWO artists to look out for, 'cos I can't wait for Jerome's new CD either....
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

DSJR wrote:I really like the production of these new releases - lots of "space" and "perspective", which helps to show what CD can really do [in my opinion of course :) ].
That's something that's sadly missing from a lot of CD releases these days. It's as if most bands feel the need to cram every available second with music across all frequencies. They don't seem to realise that the occasional gap of quiet can be just as much a part of the music.
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

I really enjoyed Metaphor today.... great atmosphere, depth and sequences and the singing has a haunting and timeless quality.... just right for TD. 8)
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

Chris Monk wrote:
DSJR wrote:I really like the production of these new releases - lots of "space" and "perspective", which helps to show what CD can really do [in my opinion of course :) ].
That's something that's sadly missing from a lot of CD releases these days. It's as if most bands feel the need to cram every available second with music across all frequencies. They don't seem to realise that the occasional gap of quiet can be just as much a part of the music.
Most modern dross being released is for the I-Pod generation I feel... What these people don't seem to realise is that with a bit of perspective and lightness of touch, even lower data rates don't have to sound total s**t!

I'm glad I bought Metaphor and very much look forward to the imminent three new releases (EF has a new one too I understand)...

P.S. I rather liked the singing too, which was a huge surprise for me. maybe a good male voice suits the band's style more than a female one...
Miles

Metaphor

Post by Miles »

these vocals are great, they really suit the Track
and probably it is the ppm leadsinger Chris Hausl singing on the forthcoming album.
I´m really excited to hear more from him.
Pertou

Re: Metaphor

Post by Pertou »

Miles wrote:these vocals are great, they really suit the Track
and probably it is the ppm leadsinger Chris Hausl singing on the forthcoming album.
I´m really excited to hear more from him.
I wonder why he isn't credited, damn I really thought it was Thorsten, due to the cover info on Metaphor ("Performed by Edgar Froese & Thorsten Quaeschning")
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Would be interesting to know who is actually singing on this track :?
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

Desert_Voyager wrote:I really enjoyed Metaphor today.... great atmosphere, depth and sequences and the singing has a haunting and timeless quality.... just right for TD. 8)
The future is good, the future is Ora(tangerine)nge ;)
Tangram

Post by Tangram »

I got Metaphor today. After first listening, I thought "what was that load of **** ?".

So I decided I had to listen to it again. Same opinion. I though it was garbage and if that is the direction TD are thinking of going in, I don't want any part of that. I am past the stage where I feel that if it is by TD, then it must be good and I must like it. Metaphor is simply not the sort of music I enjoy listening to, it was bland, tuneless and thoughtless. It did nothing for me.

I don't apologise for being honest and I'm sure there are many that don't agree with my opinion, that is fine, it won't make either of us right or wrong, I just didn't like it.
If I do not agree with what you have to say, I will still defend to the death your right to say it. (Voltaire, almost)
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

Tangram wrote:I got Metaphor today. After first listening, I thought "what was that load of **** ?".

So I decided I had to listen to it again. Same opinion. I though it was garbage and if that is the direction TD are thinking of going in, I don't want any part of that. I am past the stage where I feel that if it is by TD, then it must be good and I must like it. Metaphor is simply not the sort of music I enjoy listening to, it was bland, tuneless and thoughtless. It did nothing for me.

I don't apologise for being honest and I'm sure there are many that don't agree with my opinion, that is fine, it won't make either of us right or wrong, I just didn't like it.
I also make no apologies for being genuine. I think Metaphor is wonderful music. Thankyou for reminding me that there is no universal right or wrong in music. Metaphor is right for me.