Metaphor

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by 24db »

Laserdiscdream wrote:Good Review for Metaphor I’ll Look Forward to Hearing Then Soon.

ピーターAKAレーザーディスク夢

http://aki.endless-run.org/index.php
cheers
epsilon75

Re: Metaphor

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:01. METAPHOR FIRST REALITY . Fades in with a looped pad (for some weird reason I kept thinking of Atem or Alpha centauri, there must be something about the timbre perhaps?), drums and synth stings are quickly augmented, as is a bass synth which plays a simple repeated line. A piano meanders with lots of reverb and then a reversed piano sample is layered with it with a distorted panned note (which is a bit like a guitar). It's hard to say what this track reminds me of, perhaps Pete Namlook jamming with Vangelis (If I had to guess I'd say there's definitely a Thorsten influence to this piece). The track has a 'something is gonna happen' feeling, but it doesn't, everything actually sounds quite improvised and the sound palatte is (generally) new to TD...it ends with bubbling and reversed sounds...leading into.

02. METAPHOR SECOND REALITY ...Starts with an ethnic "Aaaah" wordless vocal sample a bit like FSOL (over a lazy bass line), but this is soon added to with another voice, (but this has more of an electronic synth character), A metalic panned rhythmic sequence starts, with an almost 'vocal character' to the filter for a few bars and then a fast piano arpeggio/sequencer line is layered over the top with a very digital melody (from Edgar?). Then a huge layered pad takes over which plays a new melody....think of film about the Pharaos or Ancient Eygpt and you'd get the rough idea (the actual sound is a layer of strings, flute and perhaps another synth). The new melody drops away and we're back to the ethic voices over a plodding bass line, and tubular bell hits. . Suzanne Ciani jams with Edgar during Dalinetopia?. Perhaps not, but it's interesting nevertheless. Ends with a long ominious sustained note...which fades into

03. METAPHOR THIRD REALITY ...a bubbling 'Edgar' type sequence runs, as piano phrases and guitar like synths play, then a strong melody takes over: piano, a buzzy and breathy synth, whilst the tune changes key. A good solid track. Finishes with some weird reversed and echoing plucked sounds. Probably my favourite, because of it's strong melody and it's quite up tempo. ....leading into...

04. METAPHOR EARTHLING'S REALITY....an Edgar track I guess, the sequencing is very like him. 'Shock horror' this track has male vocals, I can't comment on the lyrics but it isn't too bad. Later in the track some distant guitar is added (although it could be a fuzzed synth, it's hard to say and it's fairly far back in the mix). Not bad I guess, if you like vocals.

Overall I liked Metaphor, it's not the best thing TD have ever released (that's Ricochet obviously ;)), but it's certainly worth getting hold of for the first 3 tracks alone. 'If' TD are just Thorsten and Edgar, then the group are in safe hands and we're in for an interesting time

After listening to Metaphor i cant really fault your review AK...........all i can add is i like it and the guy who sings on the last track would not have been out of place on a Dante style album.............One things for sure here,there is no JF contributuion to be heard me thinks :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
tuftuf

Post by tuftuf »

24db wrote:01. METAPHOR FIRST REALITY . Fades in with a looped pad (for some weird reason I kept thinking of Atem or Alpha centauri, there must be something about the timbre perhaps?), drums and synth stings are quickly augmented, as is a bass synth which plays a simple repeated line. A piano meanders with lots of reverb and then a reversed piano sample is layered with it with a distorted panned note (which is a bit like a guitar). It's hard to say what this track reminds me of, perhaps Pete Namlook jamming with Vangelis (If I had to guess I'd say there's definitely a Thorsten influence to this piece). The track has a 'something is gonna happen' feeling, but it doesn't, everything actually sounds quite improvised and the sound palatte is (generally) new to TD...it ends with bubbling and reversed sounds...leading into.

02. METAPHOR SECOND REALITY ...Starts with an ethnic "Aaaah" wordless vocal sample a bit like FSOL (over a lazy bass line), but this is soon added to with another voice, (but this has more of an electronic synth character), A metalic panned rhythmic sequence starts, with an almost 'vocal character' to the filter for a few bars and then a fast piano arpeggio/sequencer line is layered over the top with a very digital melody (from Edgar?). Then a huge layered pad takes over which plays a new melody....think of film about the Pharaos or Ancient Eygpt and you'd get the rough idea (the actual sound is a layer of strings, flute and perhaps another synth). The new melody drops away and we're back to the ethic voices over a plodding bass line, and tubular bell hits. . Suzanne Ciani jams with Edgar during Dalinetopia?. Perhaps not, but it's interesting nevertheless. Ends with a long ominious sustained note...which fades into

03. METAPHOR THIRD REALITY ...a bubbling 'Edgar' type sequence runs, as piano phrases and guitar like synths play, then a strong melody takes over: piano, a buzzy and breathy synth, whilst the tune changes key. A good solid track. Finishes with some weird reversed and echoing plucked sounds. Probably my favourite, because of it's strong melody and it's quite up tempo. ....leading into...

04. METAPHOR EARTHLING'S REALITY....an Edgar track I guess, the sequencing is very like him. 'Shock horror' this track has male vocals, I can't comment on the lyrics but it isn't too bad. Later in the track some distant guitar is added (although it could be a fuzzed synth, it's hard to say and it's fairly far back in the mix). Not bad I guess, if you like vocals.

Overall I liked Metaphor, it's not the best thing TD have ever released (that's Ricochet obviously ;)), but it's certainly worth getting hold of for the first 3 tracks alone. 'If' TD are just Thorsten and Edgar, then the group are in safe hands and we're in for an interesting time
First time out of the parcel, so very first impression after reading the comments allready given, must agree with what is mentioned above, and am very pleased with what I hear, if in fact this is what we may expect in the future I will be very happy to see (hear) what is to come .
music is part of my life, without music life would be senseless
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

The last part is beautiful. Very emotional and mellow. :D
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

This is interesting.
My immediate reaction when I heard the vocals on the last bit was "This means trouble", and here we are... and everyone seems to be happy! :? Perhaps the Dante project has made TD fans more vocal-friendly... Hm...

Not complaining, though. :D
Beautiful music!
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:

After listening to Metaphor i cant really fault your review AK...........all i can add is i like it and the guy who sings on the last track would not have been out of place on a Dante style album.............One things for sure here,there is no JF contributuion to be heard me thinks :arrow:
Jerome in his own words has no talent for vocal music, therefore I think this (together with the success of Neptunes) means he's probably left TD, unless Edgar leaves things fluid for a while
24db

Post by 24db »

tuftuf wrote:

First time out of the parcel, so very first impression after reading the comments allready given, must agree with what is mentioned above, and am very pleased with what I hear, if in fact this is what we may expect in the future I will be very happy to see (hear) what is to come .
Good to see I wasn't too far out
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

:arrow: :D

having been away on our christ mass hols to germany and austria...the trip was slightly marred by the fact that I hadnt received my eastgate package....the anticipation was killing me..

and now I have it.

metaphor.

its all I hoped and more, the music is pure tangerinedream, cinematic, fluid, special and familiar.....best listened to loud or in 'phones....all the tracks are quite er....complete and beautiful, track 4's vocals, they work they really do...Im happy...the first three tracks are definite TD firing on all cylinders, worth repeated listening....as a limited cd...it should be a full release as its that good. immense and almost perfect....what a way to end 2006.......metaphor's music can be summed up in two words:

tangerine dream

thoughts on td play td and dem DVDs.....soon, once i have played metaphor, again.

bm
...The wise.....are silent.....
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote::arrow: :D

having been away on our christ mass hols to germany and austria...the trip was slightly marred by the fact that I hadnt received my eastgate package....the anticipation was killing me..

and now I have it.

metaphor.

its all I hoped and more, the music is pure tangerinedream, cinematic, fluid, special and familiar.....best listened to loud or in 'phones....all the tracks are quite er....complete and beautiful, track 4's vocals, they work they really do...Im happy...the first three tracks are definite TD firing on all cylinders, worth repeated listening....as a limited cd...it should be a full release as its that good. immense and almost perfect....what a way to end 2006.......metaphor's music can be summed up in two words:

tangerine dream

thoughts on td play td and dem DVDs.....soon, once i have played metaphor, again.

bm
I especially like part 3, it seems to meld the best parts of Edgar and Thorsten....love it!
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Given Metaphor a few spins now and rate it very highly. The first three tracks are stunning, some great new sounds and ideas. Add this to the track that's at the start of the Tempodrom DVD and it shows that TD are in good shape. Not so keen on the fourth track but one out of four ain't a bad strike rate and then again I didn't use to like Cyclone.......
Rico

Post by Rico »

expect Metaphor to be a modern endorsement. parts of your appreciation, 24db, ensure me of that style being prominent. :)
JD

Post by JD »

Yeah I like this one too ! I'm not 100% sure about the vocal track, not because its vocals, but because it sounds like it was written by a non native speaker, there are accents on the wrong part of words that sound awkward, but this has always been the case with TD songs IMO.
"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them". - George Bush
Laserdiscdream

Post by Laserdiscdream »

Looking Forward too This Single & Few Weeks.

ピーターAKAレーザーディスク夢
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.angela-aki.com

http://aki.endless-run.org/index.php

!!In the Next 11 Hours it Time to say Good Bye too TD Forum I’ll Be Join of Angela Aki Music!!
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

You can read my review of Metaphor at this link:
http://td.pertou.dk/eng-0009.htm
battema

Post by battema »

JD wrote:Yeah I like this one too ! I'm not 100% sure about the vocal track, not because its vocals, but because it sounds like it was written by a non native speaker, there are accents on the wrong part of words that sound awkward, but this has always been the case with TD songs IMO.
This is the same person who sang on "Metropolis Poetry" from Picture Palace Music. That song was freaking fantastic IMHO...with his particular vocal tone it was almost like TD crossed with Brendan Perry-led Dead Can Dance.

I know the mp3 of that song isn't on the PPM site anymore...but it may be in the MySpace player. Well worth hunting down.