New Gigs in 2016

PurpleTwilight
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: New Gigs in 2016

Post by PurpleTwilight »

Network23 wrote:Not sure if it was Edgar, but I don't see who else could have said it.
I did a quick search, and it turns out it was from an interview from 2014:

It was a compromise, because the idea was orginally, maybe to form a band, between my son, Thorsten and myself. It didn't work at all, because Thorsten and Jerome were like... [clenches fists together]. (http://www.voices-in-the-net.de/jeanne_darc.htm)
Network23 wrote:But apart from Edgar's fantastic guitar solo in "Hamlet" (which is d e l e t e d ! from the Orange Sized Dreams version)
Well, to be fair, that track is apparently derived from the demo that preceded Edgar's guitar contribution. What mystifies me and other reviewers is why an Edgar composition has popped up on the otherwise Jerome-centric Orange Sized Dreams. Unless I've overlooked something, all of Jerome's retrospective compilations save Dream Mixes V consisted solely of his own TD compositions. (I'm assuming Edgar produced the Touareg remix of "Mombasa" himself, as it doesn't sound Jerome-esque and Jerome tends to keep his hands off his dad's material.) At least one reviewer speculated that "Cymbeline" (aka "Hamlet") originated from Jerome rather than Edgar, and while the evidence is tempting, I don't consider it conclusive. Perhaps Edgar wrote the basic track and Jerome took some liberties by releasing this "redux."
Network23 wrote:the proceedings resembled a band with an identity crisis.
That's definitely a fair assessment of the 220 Volt tour. I myself love all of TD's work during the 90s, but I can totally understand why the music shocked and/or alienated many traditional fans. I read somewhere that Edgar spoke favorably about Eddie Van Halen's guitar work in the late 80s or early 90s. If this is true, it provides some context for why he allowed Jerome and Zlatko to get away with such a heavy rock sound during that period.
Network23 wrote:We didn't know it then, but Jerome had been assigned an extremely significant level of control, and I think many will agree that it resulted in the single worst "era" of the band. It got to the point I could barely listen to TD with Jerome. His techno/EDM leanings were stifling (yet mysteriously nonexistent in the context of Loom). The Dream Mixes albums are almost nearly complete throwaways for me.
Again, this is where our tastes differ. I will say, however, that while I generally prefer Jerome's compositions over Edgar's on Rockoon through Goblin's Club, I still like most of Edgar's tracks very much. In fact, I suspect that Edgar's output would have been far better had he not been burdened with remixing TD's extensive back catalog at the time. Maybe even Beyond The Storm would have turned out different, but who can really say?
Jon

Post by Jon »

PurpleTwilight wrote: I don't know all the intricacies of Jerome and Edgar's working relationship from 1990 to 2006, but it's apparent that they didn't really compose music as a team for the most part.
I don't think Edgar wrote anything together with TQ or Schnauss either though. Looks like all of them wrote by themselves.
PurpleTwilight

Post by PurpleTwilight »

Jon wrote:I don't think Edgar wrote anything together with TQ or Schnauss either though. Looks like all of them wrote by themselves.
I haven't gotten Mala Kunia yet, but my understanding is that Edgar and Ulrich collaborated on several tracks. Do correct me if I'm wrong. While you're right about Thorsten writing on his own, he's almost worlds apart from Jerome in terms of autonomy within the band. Again, I refer to the concert setlists to make this point. After Jerome left, Edgar got to fill the concerts with his latest compositions. Unlike Jerome, Thorsten only had one or two of his own tracks appear on any given evening's setlist. Whether or not this was mandated by Edgar, I don't know, but it certainly made Thorsten appear more deferential than Jerome ever was. So, as much as I consider Jerome one of my biggest electronic heroes, I can't help but feel that Thorsten is more deserving of respect insofar as he is picking up where Edgar left off. Jerome, on the other hand, has always given off the air of entitlement (which particularly stings now that he's apparently opposed to what Thorsten and company are doing.
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

Jon wrote:
PurpleTwilight wrote: I don't know all the intricacies of Jerome and Edgar's working relationship from 1990 to 2006, but it's apparent that they didn't really compose music as a team for the most part.
I don't think Edgar wrote anything together with TQ or Schnauss either though. Looks like all of them wrote by themselves.
Not true.

From Franz Kafka The Castle
EF & TQ - The Apparently Lunatic Hierarchy

From Booster 7
EF & US - Heart Throb

From Mala Kunia
EF & US - Shadow & Sun
EF & US - Madagasmala
Network23

Post by Network23 »

PurpleTwilight wrote: I read somewhere that Edgar spoke favorably about Eddie Van Halen's guitar work in the late 80s or early 90s. If this is true, it provides some context for why he allowed Jerome and Zlatko to get away with such a heavy rock sound during that period.
Jerome knew Zlatko from his school days in Switzerland.

I read the interview in Keyboard where Edgar praised EVH. He was the only guitarist who really impressed him in a long time. I preferred Edgar's guitar playing to anything recorded/written by Jerome or Zlatko. "Sun Gate" is all the proof one needs, but luckily for us there are many more examples.
PurpleTwilight

Post by PurpleTwilight »

Three years ago, I commented on Zlatko's Facebook page that he should plan a reunion with Edgar, and he said it'd be "kinda cool." Unfortunately, Zlatko was busy touring at the time, and I guess Edgar already had a competent guitarist in Bernhard. I hope Jerome and Zlatko collaborate sometime in the future.
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,
Network23 wrote:the proceedings resembled a band with an identity crisis.
PurpleTwilight wrote: That's definitely a fair assessment of the 220 Volt tour. I myself love all of TD's work during the 90s, but I can totally understand why the music shocked and/or alienated many traditional fans. I read somewhere that Edgar spoke favorably about Eddie Van Halen's guitar work in the late 80s or early 90s. If this is true, it provides some context for why he allowed Jerome and Zlatko to get away with such a heavy rock sound during that period. [/quote="PurpleTwilight"]
Network23 wrote:We didn't know it then, but Jerome had been assigned an extremely significant level of control, and I think many will agree that it resulted in the single worst "era" of the band. It got to the point I could barely listen to TD with Jerome. His techno/EDM leanings were stifling (yet mysteriously nonexistent in the context of Loom). The Dream Mixes albums are almost nearly complete throwaways for me.
PurpleTwilight wrote:Again, this is where our tastes differ. I will say, however, that while I generally prefer Jerome's compositions over Edgar's on Rockoon through Goblin's Club, I still like most of Edgar's tracks very much. In fact, I suspect that Edgar's output would have been far better had he not been burdened with remixing TD's extensive back catalog at the time. Maybe even Beyond The Storm would have turned out different, but who can really say?
I happen to like, very much, the 220 Volt album and I do not find it so "techno/EDM" as you state. I find it an excellent concert with a lot of very fine energy ... worth of the TD tradition in every respect.
TDludo

Post by TDludo »

Hipgnosis wrote:I happen to like, very much, the 220 Volt album and I do not find it so "techno/EDM" as you state. I find it an excellent concert with a lot of very fine energy ... worth of the TD tradition in every respect.
I agree : 220 Volt IS an excellent album "full of energy" (as Linda Spa also said) ! :)
A new cosmic address for the Master Dreamer...
exit81

Post by exit81 »

As much as I like his music and totally respect his massive contribution to TD's past, I'm happy for Jerome not to be a part of TD's future. TD must continue to move forward, to develop and remain organic. I've always been mystified by other fans' wishes for past members to re-join. Doing this doesn't reignite past glories. All this can ever do is create an odd mix of present and previous styles, and unbalance the mix within the band's personnel. I'm happy for Ulrich Schauss to be a member of TD now, as I'm sure he'll bring his own qualities into the music, and hopefully blend well with Thorsten's own style. The Quantum Key EP is superb, so it looks like it is working really well so far.
fgourlot

Post by fgourlot »

TD has announced a new concert :

TANGERINE DREAM - THE QUANTUM YEARS in concert!

IN HONOUR OF EDGAR FROESE

We are happy to announce a first festival concert this year:

SCHWINGUNGEN FESTIVAL,
3rd September 2016 in Windeck (close to Cologne/Bonn).

Please get more details here:

http://www.schwingungen-festival.de/pro ... ine-dream/

Ticket link: http://www.eventim.de/Tickets.html?affi ... anguage=en

:P
François from Paris