What do you think / wish: is this the end of TD?

multivit72
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: What do you think / wish: is this the end of TD?

Post by multivit72 »

Here is Jeromes statement from Facebook - he remains definitely out of TD:

Hey survivors wink emoticon,
sorry about my disappearance for almost a month but I went through a lot of hassle lately, which unfortunately isn't over yet. However, many circumstances beyond my control have forced me to postpone ongoing projects, so they will be behind schedule for some time. Nevertheless, I am now back in the studio working out my/our current musical plans. Well, of course I'll let you know how things are progressing. Just a few notes for now ...

Regarding my own stuff: First part of the "Orange Sized Dreams" Compilation (1990 - 1995)" on is already sold out on CD and will only be available through digital distribution (soon). I'm currently working on the the second part (period 1996 - 2000). Fourth solo album and other projects are TBA at the moment.

Regarding LOOM: We had a meeting last week and we're very optimistic to finish our second studio album in late spring / early summer 2015. We'll also try to arrange one or two live shows in Berlin (and probably some other cities) this year but most likely not before September/October 2015.

Regarding Tangerine Dream: In the past I got asked so many times if I would carry on the TD torch or if I would continue with TD when Edgar retires and so on and my answer was always: NO!
And I'll keep it that way. Therefore, I won't support (or merge with) any kind of wannabe lineups, not now nor in the future. No tributes, no reunions, no further concerts under the name "Tangerine Dream".

People who know me in person also know that "opportunism" and "chumming up" are characteristics that I deeply abominate.

Tangerine Dream was my Dad and my Dad is dead and so is Tangerine Dream. It's that simple and it was bound to happen one day.

Thanks for listening, see you soon!

Best, Jerome

Grief is in two parts. The first is loss. The second is the remaking of life
Rubyconesque

Post by Rubyconesque »

Well its apparent that the name' Tangerine Dream' won't be seen on stage - unless Edgar willed it to the band members - though I'd have thought it would pass to Jerome - who has clearly stated that TD is dead.
SO it begs the question as to what Baumann will now bring to the fore in due course!!!
Rubyconesque

Post by Rubyconesque »

As much as I admire Jerome for being his own person and making his stance clear, I can't but help feel that every father would like their work to continue -and if I started up a business, I'd like my son to carry on the business in the same name that I ran for decades....so is not Jerome letting his father down??? On the other hand, he started Loom years ago on his own and maybe taking up the TD reign WOULD be seen as opportunistic - and lets face it, there will always be the fans screaming 'not as good as under Edgar' etc - he would be forever in Edgars shadow-so it was, from his standpoint, the logical thing to do to disown any TD legacy.
Network23

Post by Network23 »

Now I'm not trying to stir the pot, but...
multivit72 wrote:Here is Jeromes statement from Facebook - he remains definitely out of TD:

{...}

People who know me in person also know that "opportunism" and "chumming up" are characteristics that I deeply abominate.
multivit72 wrote:First part of the "Orange Sized Dreams" Compilation (1990 - 1995)" on is already sold out on CD
multivit72 wrote:Regarding LOOM
Did I miss something? :?
Network23

Post by Network23 »

Rubyconesque wrote:Well its apparent that the name' Tangerine Dream' won't be seen on stage - unless Edgar willed it to the band members - though I'd have thought it would pass to Jerome - who has clearly stated that TD is dead.
SO it begs the question as to what Baumann will now bring to the fore in due course!!!
Jerome left TD and it was definitely the kind of split that involves negotiating things a certain way to ensure things are taken care of and credit is given "where credit is due" and all that nonsense. I never expected the torch to be passed to Jerome. His comment about tributes and reunions and, most noticeably, "wannabe lineups" makes that very apparent!
ant

Post by ant »

:( Jerome left TD sometime ago and it was clear that he no longer wanted to be part of the band. There were rumours going round that he fell out with his father and that he and Thorsten didn't get on either. Personally, I felt that Jerome had gone as far as he could with TD and I was getting a bit tired with his 'sound' in the band. It has been announced there will be a tribute concert and if he doesn't want to play a part in that then I feel that is sad. If he had been my dad then I would without a doubt want to pay tribute to him. We are all different I suppose but I still find it odd. Anyway, we will see what happens without him. :)
Biggus Dickus
Dangerine Dream

Post by Dangerine Dream »

First of all of course I respect Jeromes decision. But I think, and I deeply hope he is not the person who will make decisions about the Future of TD. I think what he want say to us is, that he in personal never will part of TD in the future. Sorry, but my opinion is Mr. “Q” is more TD than Jerome ever will be. The mainly musical spirit of Edgar lives on in the body and the brain of Thorsten Quäschning.

I hope that there are no inheritance disputes concerning the rights to the songs of Edgar. This could be a big problem. So maybe only one person (????) could prevent future concerts and so on. What a shame would that be? And I do not hope that Jerome has meant this in his post. Interesting is, that he first talks about his own Projects and his new CD, and then later he speaks about his dead father. I hope the reason lies in the difficulty current situation and nothing else.

Excuse me but this is my opinion, and I have to say it in clear words.

R.I.P. Edgar
projekt-elektronik

Post by projekt-elektronik »

I think this is a very wise decision. Of course, every father would love to see his son following him in his footsteps but you mustn't expect your offspring to be exactly like you.

Apart from that, Jerome would have to bear quite a burden -- I am sure that I wouldn't want to do that. I'd rather try to find my own burden and be satisfied with it.
"Den Brüdern trau ich nicht. Den Brüdern trau ich nicht! Kommt alles vom Tonband." (Edgar Froese -- Signale aus der Schwäbischen Straße)
Network23

Post by Network23 »

ant wrote::( Jerome left TD sometime ago and it was clear that he no longer wanted to be part of the band. There were rumours going round that he fell out with his father and that he and Thorsten didn't get on either.
Well, when you post an exhaustive list of your writing credits on your website and you negotiate to have compilation albums consist entirely of music you wrote/co-wrote, the writing is on the wall.
ant wrote:Personally, I felt that Jerome had gone as far as he could with TD and I was getting a bit tired with his 'sound' in the band.
I agree. after 15 years, his approach to things had run its course, I honestly think he's better in Loom, because he primarily (mostly) plays guitar.
TDludo

Post by TDludo »

I think Jerome's decision makes perfect sense. That's my very personal opinion.

Edgar founded Tangerine Dream and he was the real "center" of the band from beginning to end : TD was HIS Dream.
Without Edgar, it's just too simple to say "the spirit of the Dream can still go on, so TD can go on". This has nothing to do with Thorsten's or Ulrich's great talents...
A new cosmic address for the Master Dreamer...
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote: ...
He probably does not know Jerome personally, but what he is saying is quite true.

Jerome comes from a time when most things are easier to obtain, music can be worked on using a laptop whilst travelling on a train, boat or plane.
Collaborations of ideas can be worked on by artists on different continents whilst never actually meeting.

Different times indeed.
And that was the point.

I simply can not see anything called Tangerine Dream not even considering having Jerome in it, anyway! Mom, would probably say ... only if he can help clean it up or do this and that or what not ... but I think that both she and Jerome, know that dad's story is over ... and only what the others do with it, will make the difference or add/subtract to the legacy. How much of that music will become "TD" and how much of that music will become "Edgar" is about the only thing that will be hard to decide!
Last edited by Hipgnosis on Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Network23 wrote: ...Jerome left TD and it was definitely the kind of split that involves negotiating things a certain way to ensure things are taken care of and credit is given "where credit is due" and all that nonsense. I never expected the torch to be passed to Jerome. His comment about tributes and reunions and, most noticeably, "wannabe lineups" makes that very apparent!
I simply do not think that he wants to be known as Edgar Jr.

And I agree!

We had the same issue on our house ... in every house and every country there is a GOD, and the children are not to mess with the GOD ... they are to support it and go to war for it.

That has nothing to do with right or wrong ... just that anyone in Jerome's shoes trying to make his own living as his own person and artist, is a total hassle, and already we don't want him to be himself and go his own way?

he has earned the right to do his own thing ... let him do so!
Donofrio_TD

Post by Donofrio_TD »

multivit72 wrote:Regarding Tangerine Dream: In the past I got asked so many times if I would carry on the TD torch or if I would continue with TD when Edgar retires and so on and my answer was always: NO!
And I'll keep it that way. Therefore, I won't support (or merge with) any kind of wannabe lineups, not now nor in the future. No tributes, no reunions, no further concerts under the name "Tangerine Dream".

Tangerine Dream was my Dad and my Dad is dead and so is Tangerine Dream. It's that simple and it was bound to happen one day.

Thanks for listening, see you soon!

Best, Jerome
Wow! This guy seems so rancorous, doesn't he? Especially when he talks about "wannabe lineups". Then doesn't that automatically made him a wannabe when he was with his dad and with Paul Haslinger and with Iris, Linda, Throrsten, etc.? Even when I'm the first one to say that TD must not continue if Edgar is not there anymore, Jerome Froese's opinion on TD is the last opinion in the world I would ever care for, snce he is not TD and hasn't been part of it for a long time (what is it, more than ten years now?). He's not the boss and he doesn't have the last word on anything regarding this band. And just because he says TD is dead because his dad is, doesn't mean that's the truth. The problem is we're giving him an importance he clearly doesn't deserve, at least when it comes to these matters. Loom and his solo work are his business and that's it. TD is not. He should've used the words "for me" at least: As in "Tangerine Dream is dead... FOR ME" and "There'll be no tributes, no concerts, no reunions... FOR ME" or "with me."
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

Hipgnosis wrote:
I simply can not see anything called Tangerine Dream not even considering having Jerome in it, anyway! Mom, would probably say ... only if he can help clean it up or do this and that or what not ... but I think that both she and Jerome, know that dad's story is over ... and only what the others do with it, will make the difference or add/subtract to the legacy. How much of that music will become "TD" and how much of that music will become "Edgar" is about the only thing that will be hard to decide!
Just for clarity, Jerome's mother has been deceased for some time now. Monique was his mother, not Bianca.

Edited to correct mis-attribution of quotation.
Last edited by Sfearical Sequence on Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rigel

Post by rigel »

I'm following this (inevitable) discussion with interest and think numerous good points are being made. But a lot of is speculation, of course, and there will always be some people who would wish TD to carry on as an ongoing creative band, even without Edgar.

I am very much in agreement with what Jerome wrote on Facebook and actually I think he should have a major say, as Edgar's son, and as someone who was in the band for a very long time. I admit to a certain bias here as I have connected with Jerome's solo work and the Loom project (new compositions, plus the often interesting reworkings of old TD material) more than TDs recent output.

I agree that whatever happens Jerome is best continuing with his solo work and Loom etc as this is where he appears to have flourished as a musician and increasingly found his own voice.

With the exception of unreleased archival material, and any newer stuff Edgar was working on before he died, I think TD should come to an end. It is not TD without him, and the surviving current members can still make music under different names, solo or even forming a new band under a new name. New music made in the spirit of TD and influenced by Edgar will surely be made by various artists in the future, indeed that is in part what Loom is. But just not under the TD name.

On the subject of a tribute concert, it is a sweet idea but...this is just a feeling of mine really...should such a thing really be the footnote to the long history of TD? Yes, I know in a way Loom are kind of that, but a tribute concert doesn't seem to "be" TD to me. There's something a bit trite about that - maybe I'm not putting it too well but such a concert just wouldn't seem appropriate to my mind and not what TD was about.

Finally (before I shut up :wink: ), the only thing that puts a real spanner in the works (in my mind) is Peter Baumann's comments that he had worked on something with Edgar and there will be a continuation of sorts. Will this be under the TD name? If it's music that has already been composed then I would say go ahead. And although it was a long time ago, Peter Baumann was an important figure in TD's history and in his case, at least, I think it would be disrespectful to refer to him as a "wannabe" in any new TD line up, should such a thing occur. But then now of course I'm contradicting myself :? I wonder exactly what Peter Baumann was talking about, and what Jerome thinks of it? Those seem important questions right now.