sounds like TD

coldwater
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

sounds like TD

Post by coldwater »

Does anyone know of tunes that emulate TD sounds (don't want to seem heretical here)
picked this clip out from Kubusschnitt playing Phoenix, anyone know if its as good as the short clip suggests?

http://www.synthmusicdirect.com/03kubpho.cfm
Last edited by coldwater on Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Its only the hairs on a gooseberry that stops it from being a grape...a penguin is just a posh bourbon.
24db

Re: sounds like TD

Post by 24db »

coldwater wrote:Does anyone know of tunes that emulate TD sounds (don't want to seem heretical here)
picked this clip out from Kubusschnitt playing Phoenix, anyone know if its as good as the short clip suggests?

might need to cut & p

the obvious one would be Can Antilla-Ave, but Node's self titled album has lots of TD references
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Free System Projekt------------Incredible 70s TD soundalikes...and complete magic :arrow:
Last edited by epsilon75 on Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
coldwater

Post by coldwater »

have not heard of those - will investigate, thanks
Its only the hairs on a gooseberry that stops it from being a grape...a penguin is just a posh bourbon.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

coldwater wrote:have not heard of those - will investigate, thanks
Try the samples here Coldwater

http://www.freesystemprojekt.nl/
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
coldwater

Post by coldwater »

epsilon75 wrote:
coldwater wrote:have not heard of those - will investigate, thanks
Try the samples here Coldwater

http://www.freesystemprojekt.nl/
will do, thanks.
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

Of course there's a certain other group fronted by Mark Shreeve who's first few releases sound like Rubycon part 3 and 4 with lovely touches of Klaus Schulze's Mirage era and a little Node thrown in for good measure.

I'm not allowed to mention their name unfortunately, as I'm probably roast meat already............
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

DSJR wrote:Of course there's a certain other group fronted by Mark Shreeve who's first few releases sound like Rubycon part 3 and 4 with lovely touches of Klaus Schulze's Mirage era and a little Node thrown in for good measure.

I'm not allowed to mention their name unfortunately, as I'm probably roast meat already............
Just as so many get flamed for loving post 1987 TD on certain forums.

The music of Mark Shreeve/Redshift makes me feel like so bad as if I'm in the depths of some monotonous HELL. You can hear it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjZiRP63rTA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjZiRP63rTA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP8OP-DwCJY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-26DujTf4c

Oh and I couldn't give a fig what certain fans of this will think of my opinion :wink:
Last edited by Desert_Voyager on Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
Desert_Voyager

Re: sounds like TD

Post by Desert_Voyager »

coldwater wrote:Does anyone know of tunes that emulate TD sounds (don't want to seem heretical here)

I think you will be impressed with Frank's version of Coldwater Canyon:

http://www.tangerinedream-music.com/for ... 43&start=0
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

You're better off going to www. redshreeve.org , click on outlets and sample some of the earlier albums from there! Later gigs done by this band have not been the same, heavier and more cloying like I find Node sometimes - more industrial sounding...

I really like "A Midnight Clear" as a complete track and the title track fom Halo is a dreamy, slightly heavier, deeply respectful nod to Xylotones, another KS track that switched lights on in my mind way back when.

I don't care either what others here think of Redshift. The CD's I can get hold of have given me very much pleasure in recent months and I just love the big fat sound that vintage Moogs give - and those beefy sequencers....................

So There! :D

P.S. D_V and I often agree to disagree on some things, but I would endorse the above version of Coldwater Canyon.

I may surprise you all with my version of Phaedra one day - it's all in my mind and all I need is Cubase or similar and I'll be away with out of tune sequences (actually, very difficult to do with software synths...), growling mellotrons and to finish, my son screeching in the playground (delayed and reverbed of course..)
24db

Post by 24db »

DSJR wrote:You're better off going to www. redshreeve.org , click on outlets and sample some of the earlier albums from there! Later gigs done by this band have not been the same, heavier and more cloying...

I really like "A Midnight Clear" as a complete track and the title track fom Halo is a dreamy, slightly heavier, deeply respectful nod to Xylotones, another KS track that switched lights on in my mind way back when.

I don't care either what others here think of Redshift. The CD's I could get hold of have given me much pleasure in recent months and I just love the big fat sound that vintage Moogs can give - and those beefy sequencers....................

Good on ya, enjoy whatever you want mate. Me? can't stand Redshift and IMHO I do wish people wouldn't keep saying it's Rubycon part 109 etc etc ;) I think it harms Redshift in that they have to move out of TD's shadow (and it's not me making that connection...it's their fans), and produce their own individual sound or character. But I do respect people who like their stuff, and some of the reasons why people enjoy follow them. It's only music!.
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

24db wrote:
DSJR wrote:You're better off going to www. redshreeve.org , click on outlets and sample some of the earlier albums from there! Later gigs done by this band have not been the same, heavier and more cloying...

I don't care either what others here think of Redshift. The CD's I could get hold of have given me much pleasure in recent months and I just love the big fat sound that vintage Moogs can give - and those beefy sequencers....................

Good on ya, enjoy whatever you want mate. Me? can't stand Redshift and IMHO I do wish people wouldn't keep saying it's Rubycon part 109 etc etc ;) I think it harms Redshift in that they have to move out of TD's shadow (and it's not me making that connection...it's their fans), and produce their own individual sound or character. But I do respect people who like their stuff, and some of the reasons why people enjoy follow them. It's only music!.
The whole reason I dipped further in was BECAUSE of the Rubycon references.... The first two CD's definitely (to me) had distinct similarities and why not, as Rubycon defines that period like no other IMO... (It's also one of my all time favourites too...)

To be fair, I think they've moved away with recent releases, going more down Node's route, not a direction I'm as comfortable with. I'd rather have some more delicate sounds myself...

Talking of which, what about Ashra fellas? New Age Of Earth and especially, Blackouts, are superb, but not necessarily what the original query was about.....
24db

Post by 24db »

DSJR wrote:
24db wrote:

The whole reason I dipped further in was BECAUSE of the Rubycon references.... The first two CD's definitely (to me) had distinct similarities and why not, as Rubycon defines that period like no other IMO... (It's also one of my all time favourites too...)

To be fair, I think they've moved away with recent releases, going more down Node's route, not a direction I'm as comfortable with. I'd rather have some more delicate sounds myself...

Talking of which, what about Ashra fellas? New Age Of Earth and especially, Blackouts, are superb, but not necessarily what the original query was about.....
No, no I agree if you think that, then that's great and as you said it's a great way to get into a group, 'if' they already sound like a group or album you like. That's a great way of introducing yourself to new music (it's how sites like Last.FM work afterall). Node? yeah I liked them from day one (perhaps not their live stuff) but the studio CD and single is excellent, for me they have the right attitude...there's TD references and they're proud of it, and strangely enough out of that comes something new, rather than denying any TD influence and spending the rest of their lives getting compared with them (like some groups).

Ashra? Blackouts?...excellent album, although I wouldn't say it was anything like TD, Ashra went into a rather throwaway style after that album, but I still followed them up until quite recently.
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

You could do a lot worse than visit the groove.nl site or the excellent SMD one and sound sample some of their huge catalogue.

I suppose I could summarise by saying that (CF era) TD have been a huge INFLUENCE on more recent EM acts (especially Redshift :lol: ), but most of these new artists have put much of their own stamp on things. For example, I love sequencers (my wife thinks they have a water torture effect to her) and very much like the samples I've heard from Gert Emmens for example (although he uses a percussive "thump" to emphasise the rhythm). You can hear the influence, but it's not slavishly copied.

P.S. I'm now of the age that when I hear "Shine" from Take That (an excellent easy listening pop tune), all I hear is Mr Bluesky from ELO which itself was a parody of A Day In The Life and Maxwell's Silver Hammer by the fabs. Led Zep in the early days cribbed mercilessly from the fifties blues scene, even re-recording some tracks with changes (Lemon Song/Killin' Floor) and TD themselves took Pink Floyd as a huge influence in their earliest days...

LONG LIVE MUSIC!
24db

Post by 24db »

lol thank god I'm not like that ;)

Global Communcation 76 14>TD-Risky Business>Steve Reich-Music for 18 musicians