BIGMOOG reviews a LEGENDARY DAY

billythefish
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by billythefish »

I was a couple of people away from thee BM, and at first I thought he was shouting a request for some obscure track I hadn't heard of.... or was he asking for Peter someone.... but then I realised he was shouting plays fantastically - i think he finished with Bollox too, but in a strong German accent.

I also remember a lot of people around him telling him to shut up, and before it had really registered with me what had happened, he had done a runner.

Very sad, but I didn't see Edgar flinch at all.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
24db

Post by 24db »

planetdalek wrote:Glad I didn't hear it because I may have lumped him. I was in the middle in front of Chris. He definately was not <my - ming> because a few notes were a bit flat. Also, Ponchartrain was nothing like the album version.

The drums did appear to have mufflers on the top hats and cymbals though, but they may well have been A>D pickups/converters.

It was a great gig, so I don't effing care :)
Regarding the cymbals...'if' TD were using the same kit as last time, then they were Roland Virtual Cymbals and they look weird anyway.
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

planetdalek wrote:Glad I didn't hear it because I may have lumped him. I was in the middle in front of Chris. He definately was not <my - ming> because a few notes were a bit flat. Also, Ponchartrain was nothing like the album version.

The drums did appear to have mufflers on the top hats and cymbals though, but they may well have been A>D pickups/converters.

Agreed - you could also see Chris's throat moving and neck muscles straining. As a former singer myself, I find it easy to tell who is and isn't singing.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:

Regarding the cymbals...'if' TD were using the same kit as last time, then they were Roland Virtual Cymbals and they look weird anyway.
Yes they were. Have to say though that some of Iris's percusion was buried fairly deep in the mix during the first half of the show. But she was playing, it was audible and what she was playing was very good. I'd blame whoever did the FOH mix for not putting her playing higher in the mix. Bernhard's guitar playing was also live, I can't speak for TQ's guitar playing because I couldn't see it, he was hidden behind his keyboards.
24db

Post by 24db »

billythefish wrote:

Agreed - you could also see Chris's throat moving and neck muscles straining. As a former singer myself, I find it easy to tell who is and isn't singing.
So you're saying he sung it live then mate? You never know perhaps TD had a serious technical problem at the gig during the first half...who knows. All I can add is that from where I was standing it just sounded like TD played back the whole of MFD from hard-disc. Now, nobody and I mean nobody stands up for TD more than me (modest git) and some of the comments from so called fans have been knee deep in vitriol, but...I've got to say that it was strange for the drums to be non-existant in the mix, especially after hearing Iris for the last 6 years. Chris's vocals are another matter all together, by now it should be obvious that Edgar sees the composition as king and therefore wants the crowd to hear it 'exactly' how they recorded it, and if that means clicking a mouse triggering Wav files, or hand triggering real-time phrase sequencing then that's how it must be. I think I stand with a foot in both camps, or perhaps better said, I can see both points of view, the only difference is that I'm not jumping up and down shouting abuse at the group (I hated and I do mean hated the RFH gig, but did I throw my toys out of the pram or pick a fight with fans who loved it? I don't think so, I stayed to the end and applauded the group). It may be a case of the most 'vocal' critics of TD haven't been to a TD gig in a while, but if they have you have to ask where their ears have been. IMHO the war is over with this issue, TD have never played everything by hand...period (bar the late 60's or early seventies), 1980 was the cut-off and if fans think there's a difference between Chris Franke having access to every note running on a sequencer in 1982 or 1986 (but then choosing not to edit them at all...shoot me down in flames if you like, feel free to send circuit diagrams and close-ups of Chris anytime you like ;)) and a software sequencer triggering loops, phrases and midi information then I think they're looking for things that don't exist and haven't for decades. A TD gig is a total experience, fans, lights, music and Big Col giving it large at the front.

Will I go and see TD again? you bet, 26 years of enjoyment ruined by one small section of a gig....don't be silly ;)
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

Part 4

The Second Set

Almost immediately ...Chris leaves the stage..left......to applause....I still feel a bit pisssed off....but I have not much time...as Edgar turns on his chair towards us and applies a few tweaks to the keyboards......almost magically...the soundscape changes...the music fattens and widens up and becomes massively louder...dynamics improve......all guns are firing...greatness!..I have not heard this before....a hard driving sequencer pattern.....I begin to immerse again in the music......quite an aggressive track.....eighties in feel but with some seventies and modern aspects....not techno more tang-o.....its great.....everything is kicking off....TD start to rock....its getting louder....the feeling around me....fans are getting animated....punching the air...TD continue into another piece....I tell myself : aha,,,they're gonna do the eighties.....its gonna be a POLAND.....it feels like that...sort of out of in and out of control (if you know what I mean).......Linda steps up on the sax......for the first time I can actually hear a real, living breathing alive piece of music from her....top drawer stuff...I note she is reading the music off a sheet of paper to her right....but she looks confident....Iris is knocking out percussion that I can actually relate to....thorsten looks composed...the music is really taking me back.....Im deep in....deep.......then we get familiarity....I look over to see Redziller punching the air in agreement...this is what its about...a real rollercoaster ride....the bass is pumping into me....nearly as visceral as TD should be..suddenly WOW whaddafug....somethings went wrong a blast of noise...Edgar smiles and twists a few switches....looks at Iris....they share a joke.....more great percussion....Thorsten this time....another blast of the sax.......everyone near me is going potty....Im really enjoying the sounds...Im aware im not moving....just mesmerised...but I do note the filming now thats going on....which brings me back to reality...all becoming a blur for me....one piece into another...rocking....now Im watching the visuals for the first time.....the music works well with them........oops its over................the encore is due
...The wise.....are silent.....
batman

Post by batman »

Very good reviews BM :wink:
-IN THE SPACE AND STILL FARTHER-
(BUZZ LIGHTYEAR)
www.myspace.com/via2754
Raystorm

Post by Raystorm »

bigmoog wrote:
Very Sirius Bit:

As the last track of the MFD set drew to a close.....some geezer came up next to me to heckle (...and I didnt bother to look over my shoulder.....although Raystorm who was standing next to me clocked him I think.....)...and this is what he heckled (I have checked with my real lawyer and this is not libellous) :

....'plays fantastically, plays fantastically, Edgar, its plays fantastically, plays fantastically, I have paid money......' or words to that effect....I just ignored him and looked straight ahead......embarrassing for me as I like to feel immersed in the music......whether coming off a hardrive, game boy, PS3....comb and paper or paper cup and string...effer.....I wish I had said something to the heckler....something like : 'jackass, jackass, BM has paid money as well.....now FUCHE OFF and let me enjoy the gig'.....shitre I will continue later

Yep, I was there. He seemed to be some big fat german bloke, who was also a bit lubricated from the way he was acting. I was thinking 'If you don't like it fine, but don't make a prick of yourself in front of everyone'. He seemed to then run out of steam and kick off towards the back of the hall. I think it was the fact that everyone completely ignored him was the killer.
24db

Post by 24db »

Raystorm wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
Very Sirius Bit:

As the last track of the MFD set drew to a close.....some geezer came up next to me to heckle (...and I didnt bother to look over my shoulder.....although Raystorm who was standing next to me clocked him I think.....)...and this is what he heckled (I have checked with my real lawyer and this is not libellous) :

....'plays fantastically, plays fantastically, Edgar, its plays fantastically, plays fantastically, I have paid money......' or words to that effect....I just ignored him and looked straight ahead......embarrassing for me as I like to feel immersed in the music......whether coming off a hardrive, game boy, PS3....comb and paper or paper cup and string...effer.....I wish I had said something to the heckler....something like : 'jackass, jackass, BM has paid money as well.....now FUCHE OFF and let me enjoy the gig'.....shitre I will continue later

Yep, I was there. He seemed to be some big fat german bloke, who was also a bit lubricated from the way he was acting. I was thinking 'If you don't like it fine, but don't make a prick of yourself in front of everyone'. He seemed to then run out of steam and kick off towards the back of the hall. I think it was the fact that everyone completely ignored him was the killer.
with a leather coat and long hair?
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

Decided to join the forum after going to the astoria gig. It was my first TD show and I wasn't aware that TD haven't played a proper 'live' show in a while until I came on here yesterday. I noticed straight away that it wasn't live after the very first song...iris was out of time on the drums. Admittedly I was a little heartbroken they weren't playing it 'live' but at the same time it was still something special seeing them in the flesh and it was also my first listen of MFD (apart from the promo cd). I'm pretty sure the 2nd set was played live though so I suppose that's some consolation. I can empathise with some of the people on here that are angry that it wasn't a true live performance but like others have said if you didn't like it don't go again. At the very least you got to see the band, probably got some merchendise that's not available elsewhere and had a good night out?

Tell you what was strange though...I must have been the only guy there that was under 20 (that I saw anyway). was wearing the blue floral shirt and beige trousers for anyone who cares
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

welcome to the forum mate :D 8)
...The wise.....are silent.....
Janus

Post by Janus »

Greetings BigFoot welcome to the forum :)
http://heyzradio.com
For Tim - Always in our thoughts and hearts, the dream remains the same
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

Welcome to the forum bigfoot. Alwyas encouraging to see new (and young) fans.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
Raystorm

Post by Raystorm »

Raystorm wrote: Yep, I was there. He seemed to be some big fat german bloke, who was also a bit lubricated from the way he was acting. I was thinking 'If you don't like it fine, but don't make a prick of yourself in front of everyone'. He seemed to then run out of steam and kick off towards the back of the hall. I think it was the fact that everyone completely ignored him was the killer.
with a leather coat and long hair?[/quote]

I think so, I really didn't pay much attention to his looks, but that seems to fit the description.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

bigfoot wrote:I noticed straight away that it wasn't live after the very first song...iris was out of time on the drums.
Don't take it too much to heart, I'm sure Iris was playing live in the first half. You could just about make out her playing but it was well down in the mix and almost lost in the drumming coming from the computers. I blame the FOH mix. Things definitely improved in the second half. I wonder if things had been turned down in the first half so that the vocals weren't swamped.

How do I know this? Well I was near the mixing desk where things were better and spent far too much time watching Iris. :oops: