Yes

har
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by har »

After one listen have to say I'm very impressed. Bit of a Drama feel in bits, which is no bad thing, but also so much more to the album. Think it will also be a grower right enough.

Has to be said also , the new lad is definitely a singer !!

I will be buying Jons solo album to ease my conscience :wink: and hope he can work with YES again.
Cyclone

Post by Cyclone »

Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Given the new album a few spins now and have to say that it's very poor. It's not that I hate the album, it's just a bit of nothing, pure background music. Sounds more like a new band struggling to find their feet than a group of seasoned professionals. Shame really as I love Drama.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
har

Post by har »

Listened to the album 3 times now. Still think its good, certainly no Close to the Edge :wink: But imho better than Magnification for instance.

Only bit I dont like is that C.RAP bit Steve Howe has insisted on putting in Fly from here (part IV). Utter pish!

What I will also say is my wife likes most of this which is fairly unusual as she is allergic to 75% of Yes, (despite being dragged to see them twice :P ) so perhaps that also says something. Fairly easy listening for a Yes album but I am enjoying it.

Maybe it will grow on you Chris :wink:
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

har wrote:Maybe it will grow on you Chris :wink:
Possibly but unlikely. I've never been much of a fan of American AOR-style music. I was never very keen on Asia, Toto, Foreigner, Journey, etc, etc, and all that sort of thing. Actually I'd have probably been happier if it had been Asia - Fly From Here...

...then I wouldn't have bought it. :wink:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
har

Post by har »

Cant help thinking what would this album be like if Rick and Jon had been involved......................and the answer is................much better :wink:

Its like when the Stiltskin guy joined Genesis, trying to live up to the previous ie Gabriel then (most of) Collins............cant win.Both Benoit and Wilson = great singers, but its just not the same.

I am just grateful to have some new Yesmusic, it might be the last :? , who knows.

PS still a good few negative reviews on amazon, hope they do not cloud my judgement here. Several very positive also.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Funnily enough Benoit David is one of the better things on the album, he's clearly trying his best with what's on offer.

What's puzzling is why Yes think that a song not good enough to make the album back in 1980 should be the spine of an album in 2011. Most of the music appears to be Horn/Downes so what have Steve Howe and Chris Squire been doing for the last 10 years?
har

Post by har »

YES in the album charts.

Number 18......................not too bad :wink:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/indiealbums

Actually number 30 in the main chart, might go up a bit yet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/albums
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

It really seems to have split the fanbase. It's obviously a bit like Marmite. You either love it or hate it. There's lots of in-fighting and bile all over the Yes fan forums. Geoff Downes hasn't helped things by slagging off the fans. To be honest, there's lots of other great new music about so I'm not going to let it upset me that much.

Had to laugh though as someone on the progarchives forum complained that Geoff Downs hadn't singled them out for special mention despite a fairly vocal protest about the new album. It's a funny old world.
Marc M

Post by Marc M »

I quite liked the album but don't play it so often since I bought it.. Might be a sign.
Quite sad whn ezyou know that at least 10 minutes of it is actualy a song in two parts that Horn And Downes recorded for the second album of the Buggles, Adventures in Modenr Recorfding. They recently rereleased the almbum with aton of extra music and this was part of the batch. Plus you can hear one part on the triple live box set by Yes, "The Word is Live".
That was a very good song and I don't understand why The Buggles didn't record a fdefinitive version at the time. But the demo version is very arranged already.
The rest of the album is OK, not more.

Benoit David, I knew from Mystery, where I think he's really good. But he cannot do the higher notes of Jon Anderson like him, really not. He doesn't sound natural at all on those parts. I recently saw a video of Close To The Edge with him and the guy who postyed it was saying it was terrible. Well, I had no preconceived idea but honestly,vocally, it wasn't that good. So he might be good on record but this live document was very disappointing. And he doesn't seem to put much emotion in his performances, which I had already noticed before.
THis said, I've just found out another performance of the same classic with him, and he is better on it. But this is not Jon Anderson, definitely.
The new singer in Glass Hammer at the contrary does an incredible performance in Jon's style. And they are all excellent musicians. Honestly, I pefer to listen to their latest studio album "If" than to "Fly From Here"

I much prefer Magnification, Yes' best album since Going For the One in my humble opinion.
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

How strange. I lent my copy of Fly From Here to a friend of mine who has not liked much Yes stuff for many years.
In an email to me he said :

had you not lent me the new Yes album I doubt I would have bothered with it due to my prejudice against the Yeggles period plus not really being very keen on anything they've done with any line-up in recent years. However I have to say that it is very good indeed and for me the best they've done since Going for the One. The new guy sings like Anderson when called upon but is more than just a copyist and Howe and Squire are both on vintage form. With the best material for years and no weak tracks it's a very good package. I don't know whether I'm more pleased or surprised

I was as surprised by his opinion as he obviously was :)

I like the term Yeggles, for Downes/Horn :lol:
Red Morpho

Post by Red Morpho »

Opted for the Amazon download offer yesterday, Not very impressed with Fly from Here on first listen, to be honest there's only a couple of tracks that may grow on me over time, its the AOR style that dissappoints, rather then the vocals. I will console myself with the AWBH (deluxe edition) when it arrives in the post..........
You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink...but if you get it to float's on it's back then you've got something...
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Marc M wrote:I much prefer Magnification, Yes' best album since Going For the One in my humble opinion.
Magnification is a superb album and In The Presence Of is a classic Yes track. The tour that followed it's release was pretty awesome too. I loved hearing those classic tracks with an orchestral backing.
har

Post by har »

T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:How strange. I lent my copy of Fly From Here to a friend of mine who has not liked much Yes stuff for many years.
In an email to me he said :

had you not lent me the new Yes album I doubt I would have bothered with it due to my prejudice against the Yeggles period plus not really being very keen on anything they've done with any line-up in recent years. However I have to say that it is very good indeed and for me the best they've done since Going for the One. The new guy sings like Anderson when called upon but is more than just a copyist and Howe and Squire are both on vintage form. With the best material for years and no weak tracks it's a very good package. I don't know whether I'm more pleased or surprised

I was as surprised by his opinion as he obviously was :)

I like the term Yeggles, for Downes/Horn :lol:
Yeggles :mrgreen:

Now yiv had it for a wee bit whats yir view on Fly from Here Mr TD.
hansx

Post by hansx »

I still don't have the original, it is on its way to me. Probably on a ship. :(

A friend of mine called the new one: old men sympho. Very slow. He is a big Yesfan, but wasn't convinced. I am, still like it.
2011 is for me one of the best progyears in a long period. But that is for another thread.