Countdown

endorphin
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by endorphin »

I picked up my ticket from the Astoria box office yesterday morning and mine's numbered 572.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

I got mine last week from stargreen and its numbered 1861. lucky it shouldn`t have any bearing of where I see it from seems its standing.
24db

Post by 24db »

cantosis wrote:I got mine last week from stargreen and its numbered 1861. lucky it shouldn`t have any bearing of where I see it from seems its standing.
From memory all of the astoria is standing, bar some seats upstairs
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

any idea how may can fit in? I heard it was 1500 but as my ticket is 1861 it cant be ;)
24db

Post by 24db »

cantosis wrote:any idea how may can fit in? I heard it was 1500 but as my ticket is 1861 it cant be ;)
the ticket numbers bare no relation to the number of seats, the Astoria's official capacity is 1600, but...it's not just the Astoria that's selling tickets
batman

Post by batman »

cantosis wrote:any idea how may can fit in? I heard it was 1500 but as my ticket is 1861 it cant be ;)
My ticket is 500. I believe in Astoria capacity is 2000.
-IN THE SPACE AND STILL FARTHER-
(BUZZ LIGHTYEAR)
www.myspace.com/via2754
24db

Post by 24db »

batman wrote:
My ticket is 500. I believe in Astoria capacity is 2000.
Just nicked this bit of info :)

~~History~~

The Astoria was originally a Crosse and Blackwell pickle factory. It has since been reincarnated as a music hall, theatre and the live music venue and nightclub it is today. The venue was acquired by the Mean Fiddler group (now part of ClearChannel) in May 2000. Bands to have played on the Astoria's stage include Nirvana, Black Sabbath, Metallica, David Bowie, Oasis, Prince, U2, Eminem and The White Stripes.

~~Inside the Venue~~

The Astoria has been used in its current guise as a gig venue and nightclub for over twelve years, and unfortunately it shows. What was presumably a once stylish and clean interior is now somewhat dilapidated, with worn carpets in the foyer, stained walls, sticky floors and a generally dated and anonymous feel to the place.

Upon entering the venue through the front entrance, you first come to the foyer, which houses the reception, box office and is usually used to search patrons upon entry. From here, you proceed up some steps to the cloakroom, which can often become a very crowded area on busy nights. Beyond this, up a few further steps you can either enter the main downstairs floor or head upstairs to the balcony, which has its own separate bar. This balcony is not always in use at shows with small attendences.

The main floorspace is fairly large, black and anonymous, although not as big as it used to be with the new sound desk taking up a lot of space at the back of the venue. The stage is of a good size and viewing is adequate from anywhere in the venue. Merchandise is sold at the stand at the back of the downstairs floor area, by the bars.

Upstairs is the entrance to the backstage area, VIP area, limited seating and a terraced area. Views of the stage from here are very good, with nothing limiting your view. There is a bar on the balcony and also in the upstairs foyer, where merchandise is also sometimes sold.

~~The Astoria Gig Experience~~

While many would disagree, in my personal experience and the experiences of others I know, the Astoria is not one of London's better sounding venues. Granted, there are many aspects which can affect the live sound of a band and venue, but all too often, sound at the Astoria is muddy, badly mixed and distorted. Of course, this isn't the case all of the time, but I have found on far too many occasions that the sound hasn't been up to scratch.

Security is generally very good, with most staff having a professional and friendly attitude to their work. Problems in the crowd are dealt with swiftly and the FOH staff are always on the ball. Staff are always willing to assist if you have a problem in my experience.

A common complaint about gigs at the Astoria is the curfew's imposed by the venue, specifically on Friday and Saturday nights when the headlining band must leave the stage by 10:30. This is due to the GAY club night held at the venue once the live music has finished. Unfortunately, if a gig overruns, as is often the case, the management will pull the headlining band offstage at 10:30 on the dot. I have seen many excellent bands have their sets cut short as a result of this, which is a real shame, especially considering it is for the venues own commercial gain.

As a knock on effect of this early curfew, many weekend gigs have doors as early as 6pm, not ideal if you have to come from work!

~~Bars~~

An important part of any concert or club night! The Astoria has several bars, including two at the back of the main downstairs floor, and a further two upstairs in the foyer and on the balcony. The downside is the extortionate prices charged for drinks. These can vary, but on my last visit a can of Foster's was £3.20. A bottle of water is £2 and I don't even want to think about the price of spirits! My recommendation would be, if you want to drink, to head to the Wetherspoons just up the road for a few quick drinks prior to the gig!

~~Disabled Access~~

Access to the Astoria for disabled customers is not easy, largely due to the steps inside the venue. Assistance is happily given however, although the venue recommends that you contact them in advance to make arrangements. Disabled customers are entitled to bring one assistant with them free of charge.

~~Tickets~~

Tickets are available from the usual outlets, the Mean Fiddler website and the Astoria box office, which charges no booking fee on any purchases paid for with cash.

~~Rules on Cameras etc~~

No video cameras or recording devices are allowed in the venue. Specific rules regarding cameras have been known to change from gig to gig, but generally most cameras are allowed with the exception of 'professional' SLR type cameras.
batman

Post by batman »

24db wrote:~~Rules on Cameras etc~~

No video cameras or recording devices are allowed in the venue. Specific rules regarding cameras have been known to change from gig to gig, but generally most cameras are allowed with the exception of 'professional' SLR type cameras.
So Andy, can i take photo with camera or mobile phone.
-IN THE SPACE AND STILL FARTHER-
(BUZZ LIGHTYEAR)
www.myspace.com/via2754
24db

Post by 24db »

batman wrote:

Sorry mate, I can't say yes or no. The ruling is no cameras, but they can't check everyone! so it's work a try. Mobile phones will be fine though
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

24db wrote:
batman wrote:

Sorry mate, I can't say yes or no. The ruling is no cameras, but they can't check everyone! so it's work a try. Mobile phones will be fine though
From recent experience I can say that I have got away with taking video and photos from my phone. But, there's always a first for getting "nicked" and into trouble for doing so. i won't recommend it, but you can have a go.
24db

Post by 24db »

wayfarer wrote:
24db wrote:
batman wrote: So Andy, can i take photo with camera or mobile phone.
From recent experience I can say that I have got away with taking video and photos from my phone. But, there's always a first for getting "nicked" and into trouble for doing so. i won't recommend it, but you can have a go.
I agree, taking the SBE for example, some fans had real problems at the venue, some were too scared to even try, however I didn't have a problem in the middle on the hall. Where as at the Astoria in 2003 there were digital camera's all over the place, and I can't remember the RFH checking fans either. It's always worth trying, but you can't complain if you get pulled up for it.
timer

Post by timer »

We had no problem firing off 50 + shots at SBE 2005 and we were stood against the barrier at the front of stage.

There's always a risk, but from my experience as long as you aren't carrying an SLR with a huge attachment, the attitude is that you probably won't get that good a quality picture anyway - little do they know !
24db

Post by 24db »

timer wrote:We had no problem firing off 50 + shots at SBE 2005 and we were stood against the barrier at the front of stage.

There's always a risk, but from my experience as long as you aren't carrying an SLR with a huge attachment, the attitude is that you probably won't get that good a quality picture anyway - little do they know !
any evidence Tim? :)
timer

Post by timer »

24db wrote:
timer wrote:We had no problem firing off 50 + shots at SBE 2005 and we were stood against the barrier at the front of stage.

Oh yes 24dB ! a bit think i put two on favourite pictures - One of Edgar doing the pointy finger (although had to compress it for the forum) and one of jerome playing guitar. But we have many more from that night.
All on a spare DVD if you would like?
24db

Post by 24db »

timer wrote:
24db wrote:

Oh yes 24dB ! a bit think i put two on favourite pictures - One of Edgar doing the pointy finger (although had to compress it for the forum) and one of jerome playing guitar. But we have many more from that night.
All on a spare DVD if you would like?
lol...yeah, why not...swap yer? :)