The Classical Edge Of Tangerine Dream

Would you buy a Classical TD album? (Read post under)

Yes! I like TD`s Classic edge!
35%
Yes, but only for my collection.
35%
Maybe....
10%
No! I hate classic music even if it`s TD.
20%

Total votes: 20

Mars
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

The Classical Edge Of Tangerine Dream

Post by Mars »

TD nearly released the album "Star Trooper - The Classical Edge Of Tangerine Dream" (scheduled for 2000), that was supposed to
contain classically based versions of music by Skrjabin, Mozart, Haydn, Bach and Albinoni.

The cover of the album was already made :
http://dg.alienearmusic.com/startrooper.html

But the album never saw the light of day. TD has released some tracks
that I think was intended for that album:

1. Symphony In A-Minor (Ambient Monkeys)
2. Concerto In A-Major/Adagio (Ambient Monkeys)
3. Sonata By J.S. Bach (The Hollywood Years)
4. Largo from Xerxes (Tyranny of Beauty)
5. Rondo Veneziano (TDOC release only)

Is there more tracks in this category?

If EF decided to release such a cd, would you buy it?

(I would!) :-)
24db

Post by 24db »

no thanks
Mars

Post by Mars »

I forgot the last option! :-)
dreamerofdreams

Post by dreamerofdreams »

Think I would give in and get it for the collection. Would not rush out and buy it on day of release though. Probably wait until it went down in price.
24db

Post by 24db »

I love classical music...but I just want TD to use whatever time they have left composing and sounding like TD (whatever that might be...this week) and not trying to do what many musicians have done the past, with various degrees of success or not
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Picture at an Exhibition by Modest Mussorgsky from Turn of the Tides readily springs to mind.

Would I buy an album of this type of material - probably (I'm becoming a bit of a completist) but I'd prefer TD to do what they do best and produce new and original material.
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

This is a bizarre .... bit ...

TD is the "classical music" of today ... and it does not matter to me, if it is called "Phaedra" or "Concert for Beans, Farts and Cigars" or Turandot .... it is about the music, not the "conventions" ... that history tells us was music.

IF, a person likes TD and not classical music, I would rather thing that said person is not musical enough to even know there is music out there ... and they are but a fan of Tangerine Dream? ... albeit one that the band will still say thank you for buying the music! ...

In the scheme of things, I doubt ... I really do ... that the likes of Edgar, Klaus, Vangelis, Mike Oldfield ... really think about this ... they are too worried about their next piece ... and it will be called ...... this or that ... and not use the old conventions ... that were defined AFTER the FACT ... of the music was created!

Also, btw ... a lot of concerti and stuff that says in D Minor and all that, for the most part in history were pieces of music that were found by that composer that did not have a title ... and was given that title for lack of better interpretation ... so it would really be strange and a funny day at the races to think that TD would do a piece and call it ... Concerto in C Minor for Jupiter 8 and Apple Sauce ... ... the likelyhood is that in 50 years someone is going to find 25 more works by TD that don't have a name and someone is going to name one of them "Oscillating Envelopes from Sawtooth Waves" ....

We can be so silly!

Some well know folks have done this and I can recall Keith Jarrett that ended up doing some Bach and such ... and you know what ... I listened to some of it and did not dislike it ... but I would not trade it for the Kolm Concert or some of his other work. I kinda think that stuff like that is to show classically minded stuff fools that this is a serious pianist ... and I don't think that some classically minded folks that go to see the local symphony are likely to accredit TD with "compositional status" until after they are dead and their sons are going to the concerts ... and we will be hearing "peaches en Regalia" by Frank Zappa and "Phaedra" by Tangerine Dream and Beethoven's 57th Concerto for Bathrooms ... see the difference?
Last edited by Hipgnosis on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mars

Post by Mars »

Chris Monk wrote:Picture at an Exhibition by Modest Mussorgsky from Turn of the Tides readily springs to mind.

Would I buy an album of this type of material - probably (I'm becoming a bit of a completist) but I'd prefer TD to do what they do best and produce new and original material.
That`s a nice one! :-)
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Mars wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:Picture at an Exhibition by Modest Mussorgsky from Turn of the Tides readily springs to mind.

That`s a nice one! :-)
And I like Mussorgsky ... but I have to tell you I would not trade a single TD album or Edgar album for ANY ... classical music album out there ... not a single one ... although someone might really tickle me with Stravinsky doing his own Firebird Suite ... though I think that Tomita's version is far superior, crazier and a lot more fun to listen to .... ! And there is a lot of classical music I really love ... going way back to at least Albinoni.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Why not 8) great idea :idea:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

Tomita anyone
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
bigdaveh

Post by bigdaveh »

alipaul wrote:Tomita anyone
OO not for a while might have to now!! :)
The Stoke TDBA Division.
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

24db wrote:...I just want TD to use whatever time they have left composing and sounding like TD...
About 150 years, according to EF. :wink:
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

the thought of tangerine dream producing their interpretations of classical works fills me with visions of truckloads of whelks on a summers day.

best leave TD to create their own infinite beauty

sorry, my opinion.

:roll:
...The wise.....are silent.....
hansx

Post by hansx »

I always said that I like the piano oriented things of TD, they are almost classical. So why not a classical album. Yes, I like the idea.