Hans Zimmer on Chris Franke's Moog

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Hans Zimmer on Chris Franke's Moog

Post by 24db »

AMS: Which Moog system did you have then?

HZ: The old Tangerine Dream thing which was actually a very big system. Chris Frankes - 4 portable cabinets at the bottom, and then there was another thing on top, and later the whole system was put in a steel frame. Actually, it had a bit of an accident once, It fell out of a jumbo jet!!! Admittedly, it was on the ground, but still a jumbo is still really high up. The hold flight case tipped out when they were unloading it. The power supply went through the whole instrument, so then these guys in Berlin fixed it up and put it into the steel frame. Actually the way they tested it, to see if it was stable etc. was to tie it to the back of a car (the case was on wheels) and drive it through the cobble streets in Berlin!!! They figured that if it tuned up after that, and still worked, then they knew they had done a good job!!! Of course they forgot that no roadie could ever lift it!
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Brilliant quote. Thanks Andy. You can just imagine them driving around at high speed through the streets of Berlin with a Modular Moog on tow.
treibklang

Post by treibklang »

Speed Mooging ... cool. :D
sound's good
http://www.syndae.de - your podcast on fine electronic music
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:Brilliant quote. Thanks Andy. You can just imagine them driving around at high speed through the streets of Berlin with a Modular Moog on tow.
imagine the poor roadies :)
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

Jeez! Imagine watching your modular fall out of the back of a Jumbo... it brings tears to my eyes...
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Wonder what they would have said to Chris if it hadn't worked. :shock:
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

billythefish wrote:Jeez! Imagine watching your modular fall out of the back of a Jumbo... it brings tears to my eyes...
Maybe EF would have tears of joy if CF were underneath it :shock: :shock: :arrow: :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

I remember going to a studio (in Chelsea?) in the early 80s to meet composer Richard Harvey (formerly of Gryphon) and seeing the moog modular system. Richard told me it belonged to Hans Zimmer, but I didn't recognize that it was Franke's old system.
24db

Post by 24db »

Peter Beasley wrote:I remember going to a studio (in Chelsea?) in the early 80s to meet composer Richard Harvey (formerly of Gryphon) and seeing the moog modular system. Richard told me it belonged to Hans Zimmer, but I didn't recognize that it was Franke's old system.
theres a photo of it in E&MM, when Hans played at the Planetarium in London as Helden.

I hear it was in a right state
Jon

Post by Jon »

So Zimmer got a moog from TD in the early 80s already??

I always thought he got it in 1991 after he had helped Franke get the green card.
24db

Post by 24db »

Jon wrote:So Zimmer got a moog from TD in the early 80s already??

I always thought he got it in 1991 after he had helped Franke get the green card.
nope...have a look on youtube for Buggles 'Video killed the radio star'...near the end you'll see Hans with the BIG MOOG. That was in the early eighties
Jon

Post by Jon »

I wonder if TD ever considered Hans to be a member. Let's say Zimmer joined TD in 86 instead of Haslinger? What had happened?

Fun to speculate...
TangFanIRL

Post by TangFanIRL »

Jon wrote:I wonder if TD ever considered Hans to be a member. Let's say Zimmer joined TD in 86 instead of Haslinger? What had happened?

Fun to speculate...
Edgar must have a load of stories relating to people who were asked to join the band (or considered) but didn't.... roll on his book release...
24db

Post by 24db »

TangFanIRL wrote:
Jon wrote:I wonder if TD ever considered Hans to be a member. Let's say Zimmer joined TD in 86 instead of Haslinger? What had happened?

Fun to speculate...
Edgar must have a load of stories relating to people who were asked to join the band (or considered) but didn't.... roll on his book release...
I wonder how that's going?
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:
TangFanIRL wrote:

Fun to speculate...
I wonder how that's going?
Edgar could live another 40 years so lots more to write about :)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.