TD at Coventry Cathedral DVD

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

TD at Coventry Cathedral DVD

Post by 24db »

I've got to say that I'm 'still' amazed that so many people didn't know the backstory about this recording and actually thought they were getting a real concert recording on DVD. Having said that I think I can understand them being ****ed off as it's so poor value. Certainly a missed opportunity.
tadreamer74

Re: TD at Coventry Cathedral DVD

Post by tadreamer74 »

24db wrote:I've got to say that I'm 'still' amazed that so many people didn't know the backstory about this recording and actually thought they were getting a real concert recording on DVD. Having said that I think I can understand them being ****ed off as it's so poor value. Certainly a missed opportunity.
A true fan would know the difference since I knew right away it was not the actual concert. The length alone should have tipped anyone off. I normally look at all the aspects before buying a dvd such as with concerts, the length and specifics regarding a gig.

Glad I am not one of those who wasted the $$$$ :D
"Tangerine Dream: Letting the music speak without words"
j_pertou

Post by j_pertou »

The broadcast of TD at Palast der Republik 1981 is just as bad, with no correlation between music and movements, although most of it sound live (except Kiew Mission).
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

Not see the whole dvd. seen bits of the footage which isnt the best but still would like to watch, I think I can rent it from lovefilm so may add to my list.
tdream4ever

Post by tdream4ever »

24db wrote:I've got to say that I'm 'still' amazed that so many people didn't know the backstory about this recording and actually thought they were getting a real concert recording on DVD. Having said that I think I can understand them being ****ed off as it's so poor value. Certainly a missed opportunity.
Bought this several years back with suspicion. But being curious, I bought it anyways. Played it once and its since been stored away in the back. R.I.P. :evil:
DREAMING. . . . Now, Then!
24db

Post by 24db »

tdream4ever wrote:
Bought this several years back with suspicion. But being curious, I bought it anyways. Played it once and its since been stored away in the back. R.I.P. :evil:
Yeah, but it is what it is...ie exactly what was broadcast in 1976
redziller

Post by redziller »

24db wrote:
tdream4ever wrote:
I don find it curious that early in the days of broadcasting, TV & radio, there seems to have been little sense that what was being captured might be of great value in the years to come despite the technology being so new. Yet these days (and this is something I'm guilty of too) we record and store up so much for future reference that we may never look at again.
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Yep. It's a shame that the sound and the visuals don't match up but it's an interesting DVD all the same and, since there isn't a suitable alternative, it'll have to do.
ant

Post by ant »

:D It is exactly as I remember it on TV. Not great but anything in those days of TD on TV was gratefully received. This is purely a collector's item IMHO. :)
Biggus Dickus
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

As I remember (possibly from here too :D), this video was either a vehicle for Ricochet, or the latter had to be used as the soundrack wasn't good - I'm not sure.

P.S. I remember watching it on TV and marvelled at the instruments used. I didn't much care that what was played didn't match the video and wish more video footage from this era could be released if the films still exist in restorable condition.
David Gale

Post by David Gale »

I can remember this being on TV (17 at the time and thrilled by Rubycon) The bitter taste in my mouth still remains as I recall the rest of the family trooping in after 30 seconds and demanding that we watch Fawlty Towers on the other side. No videos or V+ boxes in those days! :cry:
Thankfully I bought Ricochet soon after (vinyl still proudly stacked in the living room here) and realised at least I hadn't missed the music.

Post by 24db »

redziller wrote:
24db wrote:
tdream4ever wrote: Bought this several years back with suspicion. But being curious, I bought it anyways. Played it once and its since been stored away in the back. R.I.P. :evil:
I don find it curious that early in the days of broadcasting, TV & radio, there seems to have been little sense that what was being captured might be of great value in the years to come despite the technology being so new. Yet these days (and this is something I'm guilty of too) we record and store up so much for future reference that we may never look at again.
the thing is with archiving is that you have to treat everything with the same level of gravitas...therefore every single episode Noel's house party needs to be kept along with Denis Potter or Alan Bleasdale programmes, The Chuckle brothers entire output alongside 9/11 coverage or the Vietnam war or (gulp) Chris Moyles alongside John Peel etc etc. No wonder that TV has been reduced to just 'entertainment' that goes in one ear and out the other. In the end it usually ends up with obsessive types, or how they're normally refered to...'fans' ;) to keep all the c.rap along with the jewels.

I still admire people who record 'every' radio drama or every Peel show...they must be totally bonkers...but what a service to future generations of fans and historians