Chris Franke's role in the 80s

Peter Beasley
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Chris Franke's role in the 80s

Post by Peter Beasley »

Browsing through some of the old threads, I came across epsilon 75’s interesting post (‘Tangerine Dream Tour Year 1986’ in ‘Performances’) that Chris Franke did not do the sequencing on Logos, Thief and Poland.

If the sequencing on these albums is not Chris's work, then the sequencing on the 1980, 1981 and 1982 tours is also not his, as there is a vast cross over of material.

As Chris himself said, Edgar was mainly responsible for melodies and Johannes was mainly responsible for chords. So if Chris wasn't doing the sequencing, what was his role during this time?

There seems to be an implication of laziness on Franke's part. Given TDs prolific work ethic and that Edgar would be reluctant to carry a passenger in the band, isn’t it surprising that Chris remained in the band for a further four years or so and when he did announce his departure in 1987, didn’t Edgar ask him to reconsider?
24db

Re: Chris Franke's role in the 80s

Post by 24db »

Peter Beasley wrote:Browsing through some of the old threads, I came across epsilon 75’s interesting post (‘Tangerine Dream Tour Year 1986’ in ‘Performances’) that Chris Franke did not do the sequencing on Logos, Thief and Poland.

If the sequencing on these albums is not Chris's work, then the sequencing on the 1980, 1981 and 1982 tours is also not his, as there is a vast cross over of material.

As Chris himself said, Edgar was mainly responsible for melodies and Johannes was mainly responsible for chords. So if Chris wasn't doing the sequencing, what was his role during this time?

There seems to be an implication of laziness on Franke's part. Given TDs prolific work ethic and that Edgar would be reluctant to carry a passenger in the band, isn’t it surprising that Chris remained in the band for a further four years or so and when he did announce his departure in 1987, didn’t Edgar ask him to reconsider?
That's a big can of worms Peter ;)
24db

Post by 24db »

Peter Beasley wrote:As Chris himself said, Edgar was mainly responsible for melodies and Johannes was mainly responsible for chords. So if Chris wasn't doing the sequencing, what was his role during this time?
yes Chris did say that, but he also added:

So the earlier role of "Edgar playing melody, Johannes chords, and me [Franke] percussion" has given way to an integrated trio of composer-musicians alternating roles as the moment may require.

my underlining from the Sultans of Synth article (Music Sound Output, DEC, 1985)
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

24db wrote:So the earlier role of "Edgar playing melody, Johannes chords, and me [Franke] percussion" has given way to an integrated trio of composer-musicians alternating roles as the moment may require.

my underlining from the Sultans of Synth article (Music Sound Output, DEC, 1985)
But isn't this refering to how they worked on 'Le Parc' (e.g. the three musicians each working separately to complete their own tracks in separate studios) and not the earlier 80s material?
24db

Post by 24db »

Peter Beasley wrote:
24db wrote:So the earlier role of "Edgar playing melody, Johannes chords, and me [Franke] percussion" has given way to an integrated trio of composer-musicians alternating roles as the moment may require.

But isn't this refering to how they worked on 'Le Parc' (e.g. the three musicians each working separately to complete their own tracks in separate studios) and not the earlier 80s material?
Yeah that's true mate. However to say that Chris 'only did the sequencing' and Edgar did...whatever is IMHO (and what the heck do I know, I wasn't there at the time) far from the truth. On a certain level TD fans are very bad at telling who did what...now that's probably down to the lack of FACTS, so we all build our TD around the little we all know (and I'm certainly including myself here).

I think there's impression that TD were all getting together every week and they all played together and everything was spilt 33%. That wasn't the way it was IMHO. TD worked in seperate studios far far earlier than Le Parc. Each member had their own 24 track studios in Berlin, and far from living in each-others pockets would only meet up every month or month and half to work on music or to show the other members of the group new ways of programming or combining music.

Getting back to Chris, do I think he did ALL the sequencing in TD? no that's nonsense. When Chris got tagged with the daft 'Sequencer king' label I think it created a very black and white view of TD. Do I think he was a very important member of TD and composed some stunning music? yes I do.
24db

Post by 24db »

btw as a side note, when Chris Franke played on Mark Shreeve's Legion album...Mark did all the sequencing and Chris played the melody line as well as some TD-like Effects.
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

24db wrote:btw as a side note, when Chris Franke played on Mark Shreeve's Legion album...Mark did all the sequencing and Chris played the melody line as well as some TD-like Effects.
Andy, This I know well as I knew Mark Shreeve at the time and he gave me a pre-release tape of Legion.

Still leaves us with the question who did the sequencing on Logos, Thief and Poland.
24db

Post by 24db »

Peter Beasley wrote:
24db wrote:btw as a side note, when Chris Franke played on Mark Shreeve's Legion album...Mark did all the sequencing and Chris played the melody line as well as some TD-like Effects.
Andy, This I know well as I knew Mark Shreeve at the time and he gave me a pre-release tape of Legion.

Still leaves us with the question who did the sequencing on Logos, Thief and Poland.
Okay mate, let's hear your opinion on this then
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

My opinion is that all three members contributed to sequencing.

What I found interesting was epsilon75's post that Franke didn't do the sequencing on those albums.
24db

Post by 24db »

Peter Beasley wrote:My opinion is that all three members contributed to sequencing.

What I found interesting was epsilon75's post that Franke didn't do the sequencing on those albums.
that's what he was told, infact I was told something similar by somebody who used to work for TD last year. Make of that what you will.

It's basically all guess work really
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

lets wait for Edgar's book :arrow:

and Im still waiting for Chris Franke's solo album from 1977 :oops:
...The wise.....are silent.....
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:lets wait for Edgar's book :arrow:

when's that coming out BM? ...the book I mean :)
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

24db wrote:

no idea, I aint nostradamus :D
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:
24db wrote:

you're not? now you tell me :shock:
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

24db wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
24db wrote: when's that coming out BM? ...the book I mean :)

you're not? now you tell me :shock:

more like russell grant when I was fatter.... :oops: