Science Corner

bigmoog
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Science Corner

Post by bigmoog »

I'm getting really excited, as in a few weeks, the first proton beams will be injected into the Large Hadron Collider (LHC)....its currently being cooled down to its operating temperature of -271 c.......and in thee autumn the first collisions will be witnessed......we stand at a new frontier......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider

http://www.lhc.ac.uk/

we could discover something
...The wise.....are silent.....
Sfearical Sequence

Re: Science Corner

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

bigmoog wrote: operating temperature of -271 c.......
What a coincidence, that's what my wife has our air conditioner set at. :lol:
bigmoog

Re: Science Corner

Post by bigmoog »

Sfearical Sequence wrote:
bigmoog wrote: operating temperature of -271 c.......
What a coincidence, that's what my wife has our air conditioner set at. :lol:

:lol: :lol:
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

There are rumours that it's not completely impossible the LHC could turn our planet into a comfy little black hole or creating weird matter that eats through the Earth crusts until it reaches the core... I think there are things we just shouldn't mess with, even at a chance of some billions to one of it going wrong. It could f up some important TD release dates... ;-)
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

Michael66 wrote:There are rumours that it's not completely impossible the LHC could turn our planet into a comfy little black hole or creating weird matter that eats through the Earth crusts until it reaches the core... I think there are things we just shouldn't mess with, even at a chance of some billions to one of it going wrong. It could f up some important TD release dates... ;-)

these rumours of mini black holes etc are just that, rumours generated by the LHC, to get everyone interested......

we must mess with things, we need to know

TD music helps me understand the impossible
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Michael66 wrote:There are rumours that it's not completely impossible the LHC could turn our planet into a comfy little black hole or creating weird matter that eats through the Earth crusts until it reaches the core... I think there are things we just shouldn't mess with, even at a chance of some billions to one of it going wrong. It could f up some important TD release dates... ;-)
:lol: :lol: Nice one Micheal :mrgreen:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

#excuse me while I plug myself in#

effers

this is supposed to be a sirius thread about science, gawd I despair I rilly do

every thread here either descends into puerile 'humour' or flames or tedious eulogies to TD and how great they where/are/will be

great INNIT

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
timer

Post by timer »

bigmoog wrote:#excuse me while I plug myself in#

effers

every thread here either descends into puerile 'humour' or flames or tedious eulogies to TD and how great they where/are/will be

great INNIT

YES ! 8)
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

timer wrote:
bigmoog wrote:#excuse me while I plug myself in#

effers

great INNIT

YES ! 8)

Fantastic :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

I despair, I rilly do

doesnt anyone want to know stuff about stuff, you know....big bangs, black holes, strangelets, monopoles, innuendos?

effing effers

GRIZZLE

:twisted:
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

bigmoog wrote:I despair, I rilly do

doesnt anyone want to know stuff about stuff, you know....big bangs, black holes, strangelets, monopoles, innuendos?

effing effers

GRIZZLE

I work only a short way away from Fermi Lab. One of my coworkers left here to go operate their supercollider.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

rattymouse wrote:

effing effers

GRIZZLE

I work only a short way away from Fermi Lab. One of my coworkers left here to go operate their supercollider.

tevatron

its a real shame that Congress pulled the funding from the superdupercollider......they even started digging the tunnel
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

effing effers

GRIZZLE

I always thought supercolliders were neat. Your link inspired me to read the entire page on the LHC, then I read about the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider, the Tevatron, and the Super Conducting Super Collider (that wasn't) and the Very Large Hadron Collider.

Of course the ultimate machine would be the Projekt Electronik Polyphonic Sequencing Collider. :D
Last edited by Sfearical Sequence on Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

Sfearical Sequence wrote:

effing effers

GRIZZLE

I always though supercolliders were neat. Your link inspired me to read the entire page on the LHC, then I read about the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider, the Tevatron, and the Super Conducting Super Collider (that wasn't) and the Very Large Hadron Collider.

Of course the ultimate machine would be the Projekt Electronik Polyphonic Sequencing Collider. :D

oh yes, what sweet polyphony that mythical machine would make..... :D :D
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

Although the hunt for the Higgs Boson and a grand unified theory, imho, possibly is a waste of time, as its possible that the LHC will throw up more questions than answers.....Im very interested in current thinking around the ekpyrotic theory, that could possibly dispense with the notion of a big bang followed by expansion into the universe as we know it now......although LHC may well result in a reason for gravity being such a weak force....the idea that gravity is 11thdimensional and partially leaks into our universe from another where it is stronger, thus giving mass, its mass.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ekpyrotic_universe

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/a ... 413-1.html