TD in concert...a satifactory format, or a time for changes?

bigmoog
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by bigmoog »

wish I had been there

amen :D
...The wise.....are silent.....
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

I've been lucky enough to see TD a few times over the years and have loved pretty much every show. You've got to feel a little sorry for Edgar; he has a huge back-catalogue of music, old gits like me and new converts to cater for and only a limited amount of time to do it in.

To be honest I think that Edgar has got the balance just about right. There's usually some new stuff, some old classics and plenty of surprises.

I also don't think that going back and trying to recreate the 70's and 80's shows is a good idea, although I did appreciate the tipping of the hat towards that period during the SBE 2005 show.
bergen-dreamer

Post by bergen-dreamer »

bigmoog wrote:
krismopompas wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
aha!!

some of TD's greatest work has moments of quiet, silence, a pause before the dynamic impetetus of the runaway sound of polyrythmic nuance.....all 'rock' music benefits from silence: anticipation and the moment of attack
i´ve nothing against quiter pieces, ambient pieces and calmness :!: .......... but in your context silence means nothing, or not?? .......... how long should we hear nothing???......... 1, 2, 5, 10 or 15 minutes??? ............ hmmmm, do i visit a concert to hear nothing??? ;)

:D

I think 'nothing' is worth listening to, as it allows a meditative pause between the all out assault of the music
I'm totally with you on this one, Jon :arrow:

As the Danish composer Carl Nielsen once said: "The rests are just as important as the notes. Often these are far more expressive and appealing to the imagination"

And Arnold Schoenberg took it even further: "Rests always sound well!"
krismopompas

Post by krismopompas »

it would be nice if the pieces would be longer than 2-5min............ bells of accra has a good length........... the short tracks, combined with the uninspirated bridges, lacks of magic imo.
time is the fire in which we burn (zoran)
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

krismopompas wrote:it would be nice if the pieces would be longer than 2-5min............ bells of accra has a good length........... the short tracks, combined with the uninspirated bridges, lacks of magic imo.
Yep. I agree with that one. I love the longer, more developed pieces.

...only problem is that TD will play less tracks. It's a "no win" situation.
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

I would love to see a TD concert with basic overture and for the rest to be improvised.
It was shame about Terry Riley that would have been really interesting.

How about a stripped down gig with just Edgar & Thorsten
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
Mac cuber transfer

Post by Mac cuber transfer »

I haven't read all posts here but give me a break!

No seriously, give me a break

I think the continual nature of a TD concert today actually detracts from the overall performance because of a lack of a mid-way break. I think it's just nice to have one for all sorts of reasons – time to go to the loo, have another beer, visit the merchandise stall or just chat to the person next to you about the music, what you'd like to hear second half, or whatever.

It must also be hard on the musicians (particularly Iris) to keep going for so long, surely a break would be good for them too.

Or maybe it just me – and I have the attention span of a newt and you guys think the format length is fine.
24db

Post by 24db »

Mac cuber transfer wrote:I haven't read all posts here but give me a break!

No seriously, give me a break

I think the continual nature of a TD concert today actually detracts from the overall performance because of a lack of a mid-way break. I think it's just nice to have one for all sorts of reasons – time to go to the loo, have another beer, visit the merchandise stall or just chat to the person next to you about the music, what you'd like to hear second half, or whatever.

It must also be hard on the musicians (particularly Iris) to keep going for so long, surely a break would be good for them too.

Or maybe it just me – and I have the attention span of a newt and you guys think the format length is fine.
1997 was the last time TD had a break in a concert, wasn't it (I forget now)?

3 hours is a bit too much sometimes, well, unless it's like the SBE 2005 then that went by in a flash.

I agree that breaks can be a good time to chat to other fans, but then again the 'only' conversation I ever had during one went like this

Actual conversation:

Scottish fan: *** **** ********?

Me: Eh?

Scottish fan: *** **** *********!!!?

Me: Eh? quarter past 9

Scottish Fan: eh?

Me: eh?

Scottish Fan: did you know that the cover of Phaedra is actually a horse?

Me: eh?...are you sure.......?

Music starts....
Last edited by 24db on Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
24db

Post by 24db »

btw...just in case that was you....I couldn't hear due to how loud the first set was
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

24db wrote:1997 was the last time TD had a break in a concert, wasn't it (I forget now)?
I remember they had a break at the 1999 Mars Polaris concert in Osnabrück.
24db

Post by 24db »

'Without change an artist is dead'...so whatever we think they'll be some change in TD's stage approach I think