Chris Franke on leaving TD

phaedra1974
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by phaedra1974 »

I understand your points, 24db. It´s a shame that some people copy your hard work and put them onto their websites without asking you. I also understand that you can´t send everybody the link in an email.

The point is that there are often interesting articles you announced with the link and always when I wanted to read them it´s only for registred members. :(

So is there a chance to become a registered member? As a TD fan for a very long time I am very interested in new informations about my favourite band.
24db

Post by 24db »

phaedra1974 wrote:I understand your points, 24db. It´s a shame that some people copy your hard work and put them onto their websites without asking you. I also understand that you can´t send everybody the link in an email.

The point is that there are often interesting articles you announced with the link and always when I wanted to read them it´s only for registred members. :(

So is there a chance to become a registered member? As a TD fan for a very long time I am very interested in new informations about my favourite band.
Of course mate...just email me at ajking106 AT gmail.com and I'll send you an invite (sadly I'm limited to 100 invites...so I only have two left).
You will then need to register to gain access or if you don't want to then you can view at as a guest...but that way you'll only be able to view the stuff for 30 days.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

of course, with the advent of the web and web2.0, we can document our lives in ways undreamt of even 5 years ago.....witness the torrents (ha!) of blogs, social networking sites, photo sharing, online diaries........we must be careful as some peoples lives are only relevent or interesting to themselves and their families....If I blogged my life, the only interested parties would be her majesties pleece and my pet pebble :D
...The wise.....are silent.....
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

Good points made above.

The attitude of the hoarder-keeper is not unique to the world of TD or EM, but found in all kinds of areas (we have them in the Land Rover world too!).

Someone else on these pages summed up the 'Obsessive Compulsive' nature of some collectors. I would count myself as one of these when it comes to the music, but the idea of collecting articles and posters I find so daunting I will not even try to embark on it.

This is why Andy's blog is so invaluable to me. It is something I really want to do, but have not dared start, and to have someone share this well of information is extremely welcome.

As for the unauthorised copying... it happens all the time on the Internet and the practice stinks. If anything could be done to stop it, I would hope it could be done, so the invite only technique seems to be very logical and fair.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

there was a time, when meeting a fellow TD fan was undertaken with some nervousness at a gig or at a record shop or record fair,,,,,,,,its only really since the hugeness of the internet that our fan ness is there for all to see......and enjoy the info exchange and the aquisition of music and knowledge..long gone are the days when the BM would go to a record fair and use the secret wink and handshake to aquire a TD b**tleg :wink:
...The wise.....are silent.....
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

billythefish wrote:Someone else on these pages summed up the 'Obsessive Compulsive' nature of some collectors. I would count myself as one of these when it comes to the music, but the idea of collecting articles and posters I find so daunting I will not even try to embark on it.
I used to collect loads of stuff on TD but because of numerous moves over the years I've lost or discarded most of it. So I think it's great that someone is out there storing this sort of stuff on the internet and I just know that Andy is doing a better job of it than I ever could.
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:
billythefish wrote:Someone else on these pages summed up the 'Obsessive Compulsive' nature of some collectors. I would count myself as one of these when it comes to the music, but the idea of collecting articles and posters I find so daunting I will not even try to embark on it.
I used to collect loads of stuff on TD but because of numerous moves over the years I've lost or discarded most of it. So I think it's great that someone is out there storing this sort of stuff on the internet and I just know that Andy is doing a better job of it than I ever could.
the sad thing is...I could do to better...but can't be arsed...shocking!

Back on subject, it's really interesting to see how little there is on Chris Franke (interviews, articles etc) after he left TD (I'm talking about online). There has been several in print, but they were years ago. Odd
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

24db wrote:Back on subject, it's really interesting to see how little there is on Chris Franke (interviews, articles etc) after he left TD (I'm talking about online).
He has probably learned that trick from Mr. Baumann ;)
24db

Post by 24db »

phaedra1974 wrote:I understand your points, 24db. It´s a shame that some people copy your hard work and put them onto their websites without asking you. I also understand that you can´t send everybody the link in an email.

check your email...or spam box
24db

Post by 24db »

Michael66 wrote:
24db wrote:Back on subject, it's really interesting to see how little there is on Chris Franke (interviews, articles etc) after he left TD (I'm talking about online).
He has probably learned that trick from Mr. Baumann ;)
hmm...well he's still active, still producing music. Putting aside what I think of it's merit, you would have thought somebody would be interested in it and him enough to interview the guy. Perhaps Chris thinks there's nothing new to add...or perhaps more cynically it waiting to see what Edgar has to say? (if and when...etc etc)
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

24db wrote:hmm...well he's still active, still producing music. Putting aside what I think of it's merit, you would have thought somebody would be interested in it and him enough to interview the guy. Perhaps Chris thinks there's nothing new to add...
Or perhaps Chris is well aware he never had much to say musically post-TD and that's because he has grown quiet over the years...
24db

Post by 24db »

Michael66 wrote:
24db wrote:hmm...well he's still active, still producing music. Putting aside what I think of it's merit, you would have thought somebody would be interested in it and him enough to interview the guy. Perhaps Chris thinks there's nothing new to add...
Or perhaps Chris is well aware he never had much to say musically post-TD and that's because he has grown quiet over the years...
a bit unfair mate. Even if I don't like the music, at least he treats it professionally and produces what's required
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

24db wrote:a bit unfair mate. Even if I don't like the music, at least he treats it professionally and produces what's required
Producing what is required is not art. Hardly anyone is interested in assembly line workers talking about their daily work, and they don't feel like giving interviews, so why should it be different with Chris Franke, or how he gets treated? To interviewers, he was only interesting because of his past in TD, but that's a bit of a stale topic after 20 years.
24db

Post by 24db »

Michael66 wrote:
24db wrote:a bit unfair mate. Even if I don't like the music, at least he treats it professionally and produces what's required
Producing what is required is not art. Hardly anyone is interested in assembly line workers talking about their daily work, and they don't feel like giving interviews, so why should it be different with Chris Franke, or how he gets treated? To interviewers, he was only interesting because of his past in TD, but that's a bit of a stale topic after 20 years.
there's some truth in what you say
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

24db wrote:
phaedra1974 wrote:Why can only registred members read these links? There are some very interesting articles but why post these links here when nobody can read them? :cry:

Can´t you make them readable for all forum members ? :)
Ok...here's my explaination..why

Firstly the whole reason why it's invite only is 'fans' couldn't be responsible with what I put online. Fair enough that they copied stuff onto their hard-drive, that's only human nature (I do it!!!!!!!!!). What others decided to do was to go beyond that and repost my photos and cleaned up scans as their own online (nice touch)...an online catalogue decided it would be fun to use my photos twice in their own catalogue, copyright? too complex... and more recenty two sites used one of my scans for their own bootleg (even nicer) and a live photo I had taken to illustrate an article by them slagging off TD's whole modern output & live performance. The really sad thing is if they had only asked I would been more than happy to help and send them whatever they wanted, well provided what they were doing was legal. This made me think why bother helping people who do 'nothing' to help other fans at best and at worst would love see the band we're all here for stop making music altogether. Fair enough that some no longer like the music (taste is a personal thing I hear ;)), but why spend so much energy slagging off the band since 19(pick a year)...it's like the online version of picking at a wound ;)

When 'everybody' had 100% access I got no feedback on the blog...sweet FA...nothing...for the record I do not do this for thanks, I don't need it or want it...I'm a fan of TD, nothing more. However EM fans can be very apathetic, so again it's my fault in not understanding human nature. SO...it's invite only. Why post them over here? where would you like me to post them? it's 'the' TD forum'. 98 people have access and quite a few read this forum. These people are 'mostly' active fans, by which I mean, even if they don't like TD's current output they still offer info and help, they make the effort and realise that an exchange of info is a two way street...which was the whole point of putting the whole thing online in the first place. I could have just sat on all this info as several fans do and pretended it doesn't exist. It might be a shock to a few but what I own is nothing compared with some fans own...but they don't share anything, perhaps through some warped idea it might effect the resale value of their collection. A cynic might say this might be the real reason why they collect it?

Somebody on the emportal forum once said to me they weren't prepared to jump through hoops to have access to the blog...which obviously would involve clicking their mouse once and sending me an email...I can understand that attitude, it must wear people out (sorry chaps...cheap shot...but it's still true) :)

But if it's a problem I can stop posting links, I'm just trying to help. With reference to the Chris Franke interview, if people really wanted to read it they would have noticed it's been online since about 1999...perhaps earlier. Have alook for Armin's site.

cheers

andy
Regarding reason #1 above. Does your new blogging site prevent anyone from copying the photos/scans?