Jerome

ant
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: Jerome

Post by ant »

:( Does seem he maybe has a chip on his shoulder over something and thinks for some strange reason that TD has not been a band since he left them. I have liked some of JF's solo stuff and like some of the Loom stuff too but IMHO none of it matches the TD output over the same period. What will he think of the Quantum TD years that are coming or is he going to be part of it? Who knows but I think if he is not then he should just carry on with his own career and let his and Edgar's (TD) music go happily alongside each other. It is not a competition after all!! Slightly puts me off buying JF's stuff to be honest, which is a shame. :(
Biggus Dickus
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

He does seem to have learned a trick or two from the old man regarding releasing 2 items at the same time, and rehashing old tunes ;)

Just in time for Christmas too :)
rigel

Post by rigel »

There is apparently some bad feeling there between Jerome Froese and his father and the former's thoughts on the band now may not tally with what many think. But I would point out that back in 2010 Jerome and Edgar teamed up to produce the Dream Mixes V album, which I for one enjoyed very much. I think it's possible for us to blow up out of all proportion any animosity that may exist - I suspect some of it is just a little gentle teasing from Jerome...just his sense of humour which may be getting lost in translation.

It's also clear that some of us (including me) can only guess at what the bad feeling may be about - you know, it could just be good old fashioned "musical differences," which has resulted in the break up of numerous bands down the years. It could just simply have been the right time for Jerome to leave back in 2006. Just for himself and his own personal musical development - and the need to strike out independently.

I do however have to disagree with the comments that Jerome's best work was with TD. This is an extraordinary point of view. He made some great music with the band, yes, but his solo career has not stagnated one little bit. He has three outstanding solo albums and some superb EPs under his belt. So many wonderful tracks. The compositions on SHIVER ME TIMBERS, in particular, show how much he has matured as a musician since leaving TD.

Finally, the fact that Jerome, with LOOM and on his own, is revamping and reinterpreting old TD tracks (both those from his era with the band and more vintage stuff from before then) shows he'll always have a love for TD's grand history of music making. It indicates how much respect he has for the band's history and what an obvious huge influence his father was on him.

The above is just my tuppence worth! I'm looking forward to Jerome's two new releases very much - already preordered them from CDS in Scotland :D
ant

Post by ant »

:) I hope you are right and that maybe it is all tongue-in-cheek. I will probably buy these two but will wait a while as I felt the CDS prices were a little high, especially for the three track ep!! :)
Biggus Dickus
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Valid points, rigel. Let's hope you're right about the lost in translation part. After all, Loom and EF were pictured together as late as this year. Still some of Jerome's comments seem strange.
I will give the new EP a fair chance. The album with TD tracks will surely be nice. But it was only yesterday that I listened to Shiver Me Timbers again, and it still does not do much for me. Hard to tell one track from the other. And that can't be said of for example Goblins Club. In fact, Jerome contributed to some of my favorite TD tracks back then.
rigel

Post by rigel »

Insvims wrote:Valid points, rigel. Let's hope you're right about the lost in translation part. After all, Loom and EF were pictured together as late as this year. Still some of Jerome's comments seem strange.
I will give the new EP a fair chance. The album with TD tracks will surely be nice. But it was only yesterday that I listened to Shiver Me Timbers again, and it still does not do much for me. Hard to tell one track from the other. And that can't be said of for example Goblins Club. In fact, Jerome contributed to some of my favorite TD tracks back then.
Hi, well yes that's fair enough. I suspect sometimes the cheeky devil in Jerome can't help himself making the odd comment but as I said, it's possible we are reading too much into it. I don't believe there is any strong animosity, well just a little perhaps :?

Jerome's tracks on Goblin's Club are indeed distinctive. I love the pieces Lamb With Radar Eyes, Rising Haul in Silence (except the guitar), and Towards the Evening Star, which is magical. And although others don't rate it, I have always enjoyed 200 Volt Live. Another of Jerome's TD highlights for me is the Mars Polaris album. I'm thinking of Astrophobia, which is just awesome! I also have a soft spot for the soulful and beautiful Rumpelstilkin. Now that's a hidden gem!

I'm particularly looking forward to Jerome's rejigged versions of Penguin Reference and Treasure of Innocence, as well as the unreleased early Dream Mixes material, all to appear on his Orange Sized Dreams release. Exciting stuff.

It's funny, I LOVE Shiver Me Timbers. Ah well, it's all personal taste, of course.
Jon

Post by Jon »

I agree that Jerome's music has gotten less exciting lately. His best solo album is still the first one Neptunes IMHO, with many strong melodies. Far Side Of The Face and Cases Of Recurrence are weaker efforts. He doesn't seem to know exactly where he should go musically.

I also agree that he wrote some terrific stuff with TD in the 90s. I always found his tunes better than his father's on those albums. His stuff was more sparkling and vibrant, compared to Edgar's rather trite and heavy-handed material. After all, he wrote the great COLORADO DAWN as a 20-year old in 1991:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xKyBrS8ySo#t=2158

I guess Jerome is less "commercial" now.
rigel

Post by rigel »

Jon wrote:
I guess Jerome is less "commercial" now. I agree that Jerome's music has gotten less exciting lately. His best solo album is still the first one Neptunes IMHO, with many strong melodies. Far Side Of The Face and Cases Of Recurrence are weaker efforts. He doesn't seem to know exactly where he should go musically.

I also agree that he wrote some terrific stuff with TD in the 90s. I always found his tunes better than his father's on those albums. His stuff was more sparkling and vibrant, compared to Edgar's rather trite and heavy-handed material. After all, he wrote the great COLORADO DAWN as a 20-year old in 1991:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xKyBrS8ySo#t=2158

I guess Jerome is less "commercial" now.
Colorado Dawn is indeed a fine track, a surprising bonus at the end of the Canyon Dreams soundtrack. I remember that after he joined TD, Edgar said that he had brought fresh air into the band. It was a long time ago though, and understandably I think, Jerome has matured as a musician and wanted to do some different stuff...his guitartronica projects have for me been very successful. The new material due out next month is something I'm really looking forward to.

Funnily enough though, I don't listen to Cases of Recurrence much. It's made up mostly of older, previously released material, and I find that those tracks stood up better as they appeared on the original EPs, as opposed to all together on one album...the Cases of Recurrence CD doesn't work as a unified album, in my view anyway.
Laserdisc Dream

Post by Laserdisc Dream »

Terribly nice and lovely CD's have just arrived, looking for a new home in the first week of October A pre-sale will start on September 26th, 2014, but shipping not till October 6th (http://www.cybersounds.org)
Visitors of the "Electronic Circus" festival will be able to get their copy (first 100 "#! Shebang" EP's will be numbered and signed by myself) on site. Have a nice day, weekend is near! Best, Jerome

:!: :arrow:
HarryPotter No7

Post by HarryPotter No7 »

Just wondering if anyone has received the new JF CD's from CD Services in Dundee yet?

I haven't ordered from them for years but thought I would give them a go this time instead of waiting (and paying) for postage from Germany to the UK.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

Also ordered from CDS..nothing here either.. :(
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

Nothing here either (but then, Pendragon posted their new CD to me on Monday and that's not arrived either)
rigel

Post by rigel »

I am still waiting for my order from CDS as well, but I do know they now have the two releases in stock, so we should be getting them in the post any day now :)
redziller

Post by redziller »

Arrived today s'aaaaaiiiiight. Less guitar than usual. Needs a few more spins.
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
multivit72

Post by multivit72 »

redziller wrote:Arrived today s'aaaaaiiiiight. Less guitar than usual. Needs a few more spins.
does this apply to the EP or the compilation? (or both?)