Klaus Schulze..

cantosis
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by cantosis »

I guess maybe KS is the marmite of the electronic world you either love him or hate him. I guess I might like it a bit more now I am older but to be honest when I first got into this type of music I instantly fell in Love with TD,Jarre,Kitaro,Oldfield and especially Vangelis but I didn`t with KS

I even made the effort of traveling from Southampton to Derby to see him play but after about 10 mins I was struggling to stay awake!.

I respect him and he has a lot of fans so he must be doing something right, his music just does not come close to the artists I mention above in my VERY humble opinion.
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

Telling granny to morning eggs I know, but the comments in the Mirage sleeve are very telling and try to explain what he's (still) about. This helped me no end years ago when I wanted instant gratification (one of the few advantages of getting older is that you can take more time with things... :D ) :arrow:
24db

Post by 24db »

cantosis wrote:I guess maybe KS is the marmite of the electronic world you either love him or hate him. I guess I might like it a bit more now I am older but to be honest when I first got into this type of music I instantly fell in Love with TD,Jarre,Kitaro,Oldfield and especially Vangelis but I didn`t with KS

I even made the effort of traveling from Southampton to Derby to see him play but after about 10 mins I was struggling to stay awake!.

I respect him and he has a lot of fans so he must be doing something right, his music just does not come close to the artists I mention above in my VERY humble opinion.
got to agree...Klaus live...not thanks. Polish TV broadcasted his gig a few years back (I own it on DVD), and although it's superficially quite nice to watch (with all the usual EM cliches...lasers and fireworks) it just sends me to sleep.
24db

Post by 24db »

Just heard a few excerpts from Schulze's new album..hmmm ok, nothing bad, just nothing that special (as far as you can tell from very short samples). Sounds more like Pete Namlook copying Klaus to me ;) lol...perhaps I'd be more interested if it was?
Schulze

Post by Schulze »

Pertou wrote:KONTINUUM is a 'MUST HEAR' for fans of Mirage!
As a composer, KS has really pulled himself together, and this album will really surprise a few fans, disillusioned with the 90's era.

Sequenzer (from 70 to 07) is mastefully composed sequences, but quietly brooding, and beautifully structured, and very Mirage!
It leads directly into Euro Caravan, which sounds like an ode to an autocamper, but it's obviously more than that. It continues the Mirage sound, but builds up with an intendedly very low mixed male vocal (I believe to be Thomas Kagermann), into very modern sequencing, not unlike recent TD.
When Kagermann and fades out with the Euro Caravan, Thor (Thunder) enters the picture, and the dark returns. In places very 'moogy', like DSOTM 10

KONTINUUM is a very impressive album by my hero, known as Klaus Schulze. Although it's 75 minutes of unbroken music, one is never bored, or gets a feeling of 'langweiligkeit'!

10/10, at the moment!
Am just home from my jaunt up north and waiting on me was a bubble envelope containing none other than KONTINUUM.....

Have just put it on the hi fi right now....

Will feedback later..... :wink:
Be at one with the sequencing.....
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

I look forward to your thoughts on Kontinuum. I already played it a lot, and I felt privileged to hear it as one of the firsts...
I hope it will gain a big audience...
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Schulze wrote:
Pertou wrote:KONTINUUM is a 'MUST HEAR' for fans of Mirage!
As a composer, KS has really pulled himself together, and this album will really surprise a few fans, disillusioned with the 90's era.

Sequenzer (from 70 to 07) is mastefully composed sequences, but quietly brooding, and beautifully structured, and very Mirage!
It leads directly into Euro Caravan, which sounds like an ode to an autocamper, but it's obviously more than that. It continues the Mirage sound, but builds up with an intendedly very low mixed male vocal (I believe to be Thomas Kagermann), into very modern sequencing, not unlike recent TD.
When Kagermann and fades out with the Euro Caravan, Thor (Thunder) enters the picture, and the dark returns. In places very 'moogy', like DSOTM 10

KONTINUUM is a very impressive album by my hero, known as Klaus Schulze. Although it's 75 minutes of unbroken music, one is never bored, or gets a feeling of 'langweiligkeit'!

10/10, at the moment!
Am just home from my jaunt up north and waiting on me was a bubble envelope containing none other than KONTINUUM.....

Have just put it on the hi fi right now....

Will feedback later..... :wink:

Whats your veiws on it Schulze :?:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

What's YOUR view on it Colin? :wink: :D :lol:
Schulze

Post by Schulze »

epsilon75 wrote:
Whats your veiws on it Schulze :?:
I'm not really one for writing reviews. However I've listened to KONTINUUM several times now and have posted below my thoughts on this album.....

Track 1 "Sequenzer (from 70 to 07)" starts with a single sequence and as the music unfolds it gives the impression of time…. moving on, ticking away slowly, passing one by as one looks backwards to the beginning and reflects on his life.

This one definitely contains references to his earlier stuff. I'm thinking live recordings from the 70's, found on CD sets such as the Historic Edition etc, although there is still a contemporary feel, like some of the darker, moodier moments found on several of the Dark Sound of the Moog albums.

I can also feel a lonely, cold, desolation on this track that I have not felt from Klaus Schulze music since first listening to Mirage (1977).

I like this one a lot. As KDM points out in the sleeve notes “less is more….”

Track 2 “Euro Caravan” takes over seamlessly from where track one closes. The first few minutes have very low, deep bass, testing the prowess of my Hi Fi system. After a few minutes a familiar vocal sample emerges that I last heard on the Poznan DVD 2003, and also on Contemporary Works 2. The feeling is sombre, even mournful….this is dark stuff.....

Just over 8 minutes in and a sequence emerges from the dark, dancing, even flirting with the sampled vocals. A second punchy sequence is added a few moments later and moves to the front of the sound. This track is really starting to remind me of times gone past, and in particular I’m thinking of Munich’s St Benno Church 1975 (Ultimate Edition CD13) and a track named “Alles ist gut”.

Track 3, the third and final track “Thor (Thunder)” breathes itself to life and this is KS in a quiet and contemporary mood. Distant rumbles of thunder are heard as KS plays his now trademark chord structures as the track starts to build. By the halfway mark things are really moving, a sequence is in full flow, percussion, and the KS trademark chord structures are all at work. I get the impression of moving forward through time. At 23 minutes things come to halt with washes of synth allowing the listener to reflect on what has just passed. The final 8 minutes are peaceful and reflective as the final chapter of KONTINUUM comes to a close.

In summary, KONTINUUM is very impressive with Tracks 1 and 2 standing out as my personal favourites on the album.

Klaus Schulze has produced a true solo album here, and it strikes me that he has done so while in a very sombre and reflective mood, with references to his older work from the 70's in abundance.

I would heartily recommend KONTINUUM to anyone who likes the dark, mournful, reflective side of Klaus Schulze's music or to anyone who enjoyed his live outings from the 70's, as well as the classic Mirage.

This is one that will definitely be getting heavy rotation on my Hi-Fi System in the coming weeks.

Graham
Be at one with the sequencing.....
24db

Post by 24db »

Excellent review Graham, very impressive.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

Good reveiw..my copy won't be her till the end of the week at the earliest :cry:
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

Outstanding review, Graham, extemely interesting! You have so much more knowledge about KS, than I could ever imagine myself. I first heard a KS album in 2004, and that was MedPads, which I found horrendous, to say the least.

In 2005, ...Live... somehow changed my opinion, although I found it very TD at first. I even hear references to that album, in the opening track of Kontinuum..

Good to know, that we both can compare it with Mirage, and I will order the real cd, to somehow get the hifi feel you mention..
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Very good reveiw Graham.............i will give my opinion by the end of the week :wink:
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Pertou wrote:What's YOUR view on it Colin? :wink: :D :lol:
Jacob
Try as i might there is no way i could download those files :?
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

epsilon75 wrote:
Pertou wrote:What's YOUR view on it Colin? :wink: :D :lol:
Jacob
Try as i might there is no way i could download those files :?
Me neither I don't have the savvy and the barsteward who fixed my PC wiped the burning software :evil: