Klaus Schulze..

Pertou
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Pertou »

Colin, check your mails! :wink:
24db

Post by 24db »

timer wrote:Ive never heard any KS music is it any good ? :oops:
blimey Tim ;) actually there are a number of fans who like TD and yet don't really follow EM or at least not some of the more obvious names. That leaves you with a massive back catalogue to checkout
timer

Post by timer »

24db wrote:
blimey Tim ;) actually there are a number of fans who like TD and yet don't really follow EM or at least not some of the more obvious names. That leaves you with a massive back catalogue to checkout
Good that I start new job Monday then !.

I do follow some other EM artists but not with the same passion as with TD.

KS recomendations to get me started please
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

timer wrote:KS recomendations to get me started please
Try Kontinuum! Also Cyborg and X are my all-time favourite albums along with TD's Force Majeure.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Pertou wrote:Colin, check your mails! :wink:
Thanks Jacob,much appreciated :wink: 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

Because you're worth it! :wink:
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Surprised at that Tim,Timewind and Moondawn are two excellent albums to start with IMHO 8) :wink:
24db

Post by 24db »

timer wrote:
24db wrote:
Good that I start new job Monday then !.

I do follow some other EM artists but not with the same passion as with TD.

KS recomendations to get me started please
Well the obvious one should be Moondawn from the '70's...very good indeed, although I think it's a tad over-rated (runs for cover), possibly Mirage or X (although parts bore me rigid these days).

for 'me' Klaus's best stuff was done in the '80's when (like TD) he had access to digital equipment along side the Moog stuff. So I'd recommend Audentity (originally a double album) with two long sequencer tracks, one amazing pseudo avant garde track called 'Sebastian Im Traum' and a side of shorter tracks most which feature Michael Shrieves' amazing drumming (that's MS from Santanna btw).

My altime fav album is Trancefer, but some fans don't rate it, personally i would avoid anything after about 92, but that's just my opinion. Also have a look at his stuff with Pete Namlook...especially Dark Side of the Moog parts 5, 6 and 7, hard to find on the original FAX label, therefore look for Namlooks Ambient world re-issues...much cheaper and they all contain the same music
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

I have to admit "Silent Running" is an absolute Gem IMHO 8) :D
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:I have to admit "Silent Running" is an absolute Gem IMHO 8) :D
Yep...there's some great drumming by Mike on that, late and then ahead of the main beat...brilliant. Klaus's own drumming and drum programming was..well...to honest rubbish compared with that
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

I also like the Wahnfried 12" called Tonwelle. The B-side is VERY similar to 'Trancefer'. I think Trancefer is very sparse... there are not many solos. I reckon that KS told the cellist and the drummer to play over his sequencer, while he picked up cigarrettes from the gas station.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Pertou wrote:I also like the Wahnfried 12" called Tonwelle. The B-side is VERY similar to 'Trancefer'. I think Trancefer is very sparse... there are not many solos. I reckon that KS told the cellist and the drummer to play over his sequencer, while he picked up cigarrettes from the gas station.
I have to admit Jacob that i have found some of the Wahnfried stuff very boring.........but thats just my opinion :wink: :arrow:
24db

Post by 24db »

Pertou wrote:I also like the Wahnfried 12" called Tonwelle. The B-side is VERY similar to 'Trancefer'. I think Trancefer is very sparse... there are not many solos. I reckon that KS told the cellist and the drummer to play over his sequencer, while he picked up cigarrettes from the gas station.
That's why I like it! Klaus 'in his mind' thinks he's rick wakeman, only problem he hasn't got the technique to keep your interested (IMHO)...for me 'less is more'
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

24db wrote:
That's why I like it! Klaus 'in his mind' thinks he's rick wakeman, only problem he hasn't got the technique to keep your interested (IMHO)...for me 'less is more'

That's the problem with Schulze unless your out of your head with drugs(not that I do them) or Booze(which I do from time to time) then its very hard not to get bored with his stuff.

The first Schulze CD I ever got about 15years ago was Timewind and it blew me away when it first started but it doesn`t go anywhere, like all his albums I start off intrigued but by the end I am praying to god asking for forgiveness "I am sorry for all my sins but I beg of you, please do not make me suffer from another Schulze album again"
24db

Post by 24db »

cantosis wrote:
24db wrote:

That's the problem with Schulze unless your out of your head with drugs(not that I do them) or Booze(which I do from time to time) then its very hard not to get bored with his stuff.

The first Schulze CD I ever got about 15years ago was Timewind and it blew me away when it first started but it doesn`t go anywhere, like all his albums I start off intrigued but by the end I am praying to god asking for forgiveness "I am sorry for all my sins but I beg of you, please do not make me suffer from another Schulze album again"
hmmm a tad unfair I think. I think 'the whole point' of Klaus's stuff is repetition..on and on, but with small and fairly subtle changes in timbre or melody. I think it takes a slightly different attitude from the listener to get the best out of it (and that has nothing to do with drugs in any shape or form).

In some way's I think Klaus's stuff suffers because of Cds's, after they were invented we could skip stuff, or create play lists...going from track to track to get a quick fix. Klaus's music get's ripped to pieces and becomes nothing with the attention span most listeners have these days (sweeping generalistaion 101)...you must just sit down and listen to it...and not use it as background music IMHO, then and only then do you get the most out of it. I think it was klaus that once said that we've 'lost the art of listening'

Klaus also said he's been writing and playing the same album for years. for a few that's a problem (including me) so I've left the Schulze train.

But...he's produced some gems