What percussion would be better on TD releases

Poll ended at Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:03 pm

Human
33%
Synthetic
67%

Total votes: 18

Hobo
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Hobo »

JD wrote:
Hobo wrote:
rattymouse wrote: The benefit is eye candy.
She is undoubtedly a good musician and she certainly adds some enthusiasm on stage. I have seen TD as a trio and in their current line up and I can honestly say today's gigs are more enjoyable. Whether or not the music is better, is debatable, but it's all about being entertained and I'd rather see Edgar, Thorsten, Iris and co. smiling and having a good time. This atmosphere is transmitted to the audience and IMO this is a positive thing.
I think it depends what you want from a gig. I'm not interested in happy smiling faces and swaying whilst leaning over a keyboard that isnt plugged in ;) I'd much rather see 3 guys sitting in front of big screens playing the music I love without the irritating fill-ins. Its like trying to listen to a CD with some pleb in the same room trying to jam along badly.
Your ears must be better than mine then JD, because it still sounds good to me.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
JD

Post by JD »

Hobo wrote:
JD wrote:
Hobo wrote: She is undoubtedly a good musician and she certainly adds some enthusiasm on stage. I have seen TD as a trio and in their current line up and I can honestly say today's gigs are more enjoyable. Whether or not the music is better, is debatable, but it's all about being entertained and I'd rather see Edgar, Thorsten, Iris and co. smiling and having a good time. This atmosphere is transmitted to the audience and IMO this is a positive thing.
I think it depends what you want from a gig. I'm not interested in happy smiling faces and swaying whilst leaning over a keyboard that isnt plugged in ;) I'd much rather see 3 guys sitting in front of big screens playing the music I love without the irritating fill-ins. Its like trying to listen to a CD with some pleb in the same room trying to jam along badly.
Thats good news for you 8)
"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them". - George Bush
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

JD wrote:
Hobo wrote:
JD wrote: I think it depends what you want from a gig. I'm not interested in happy smiling faces and swaying whilst leaning over a keyboard that isnt plugged in ;) I'd much rather see 3 guys sitting in front of big screens playing the music I love without the irritating fill-ins. Its like trying to listen to a CD with some pleb in the same room trying to jam along badly.
Thats good news for you 8)
Yes and no. I'm afraid I fried my eardrums through many years of gigs at excessive volume. I think it was "My Bloody Valentine" that delivered the final nail.
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

I think it would have been a good idea to have three options for the vote:

1. Machine
2. Acoustic
3. Machine and acoustic.
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

Desert_Voyager wrote:I think it would have been a good idea to have three options for the vote:

1. Machine
2. Acoustic
3. Machine and acoustic.
I choose No. 3 Jason
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

Hobo wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:I think it would have been a good idea to have three options for the vote:

1. Machine
2. Acoustic
3. Machine and acoustic.
I choose No. 3 Jason
and I would, Mick.
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

JD wrote:
Hobo wrote:
rattymouse wrote: The benefit is eye candy.
She is undoubtedly a good musician and she certainly adds some enthusiasm on stage. I have seen TD as a trio and in their current line up and I can honestly say today's gigs are more enjoyable. Whether or not the music is better, is debatable, but it's all about being entertained and I'd rather see Edgar, Thorsten, Iris and co. smiling and having a good time. This atmosphere is transmitted to the audience and IMO this is a positive thing.
Exactly. Toss the eye candy. There are plenty of other places one can get that.
JD

Post by JD »

rattymouse wrote:
JD wrote:
Hobo wrote: She is undoubtedly a good musician and she certainly adds some enthusiasm on stage. I have seen TD as a trio and in their current line up and I can honestly say today's gigs are more enjoyable. Whether or not the music is better, is debatable, but it's all about being entertained and I'd rather see Edgar, Thorsten, Iris and co. smiling and having a good time. This atmosphere is transmitted to the audience and IMO this is a positive thing.

I think what Edgar didnt realise is that most fans will be watching him and the keyboardists more than anything else because thats why most fans got interested in the music in the first place.Im not sure there's a huge TD following that were attracted by the Sax.
Anyway, enough of me moaning, its not going to change anything.The old ways I liked have gone for good.
"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them". - George Bush
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

JD wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
JD wrote: I think it depends what you want from a gig. I'm not interested in happy smiling faces and swaying whilst leaning over a keyboard that isnt plugged in ;) I'd much rather see 3 guys sitting in front of big screens playing the music I love without the irritating fill-ins. Its like trying to listen to a CD with some pleb in the same room trying to jam along badly.

I think what Edgar didnt realise is that most fans will be watching him and the keyboardists more than anything else because thats why most fans got interested in the music in the first place.Im not sure there's a huge TD following that were attracted by the Sax.
Anyway, enough of me moaning, its not going to change anything.The old ways I liked have gone for good.
Well, there are no bongos or Kenny G saxes on the Atomic Season albums so that is very good. Lets hope it stays that way.
JD

Post by JD »

But y'know I have nothing against the sax or TD using players. I remember the UK tour of ...maybe 199? where Linda was joined on stage with a flute player for a few tracks and it really worked well, the impact was there and it was exciting. The main thing is...once they had finished, they LEFT the stage, they didnt stand around tinkering over the rest of music or hovering over a powerless keyboard. There are some tracks where Iris and the guitarists really come into their own and knock out a belting performance too, really improving the feel of the tracks, so why not just bring them on for those moments ? i'll never know or understand, although I have my suspicions.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

JD wrote:But y'know I have nothing against the sax or TD using players. I remember the UK tour of ...maybe 199? where Linda was joined on stage with a flute player for a few tracks and it really worked well, the impact was there and it was exciting. The main thing is...once they had finished, they LEFT the stage, they didnt stand around tinkering over the rest of music or hovering over a powerless keyboard. There are some tracks where Iris and the guitarists really come into their own and knock out a belting performance too, really improving the feel of the tracks, so why not just bring them on for those moments ? i'll never know or understand, although I have my suspicions.
Iris/Linda were absent from the stage for a large portion of SBE 2005.
JD

Post by JD »

Hobo wrote:
JD wrote:But y'know I have nothing against the sax or TD using players. I remember the UK tour of ...maybe 199? where Linda was joined on stage with a flute player for a few tracks and it really worked well, the impact was there and it was exciting. The main thing is...once they had finished, they LEFT the stage, they didnt stand around tinkering over the rest of music or hovering over a powerless keyboard. There are some tracks where Iris and the guitarists really come into their own and knock out a belting performance too, really improving the feel of the tracks, so why not just bring them on for those moments ? i'll never know or understand, although I have my suspicions.
Iris/Linda were absent from the stage for a large portion of SBE 2005.
yep I have the DVD. Anyway its not for me to dictate when Edgar should bring them on, i'm just saying that many of the tracks didnt need them as they didnt really contribute anything other than noodling. IMO
24db

Post by 24db »

Can you noodle on a keyboard that's not plugged in? ;)
JD

Post by JD »

24db wrote:Can you noodle on a keyboard that's not plugged in? ;)
I think its been known to do whole concerts with keyboards that are not plugged in ;)
24db

Post by 24db »

JD wrote:
24db wrote:Can you noodle on a keyboard that's not plugged in? ;)
I think its been known to do whole concerts with keyboards that are not plugged in ;)
name them!