Tangerine dream tour Year 1986

timer
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by timer »

NAVEL OF LIGHT wrote:going back to tour merch. I still got my 86 tour programme and from the 1990 tour a slightly sorry looking black sweatshirt with 3 buttons down the front,collar and small 'three bikes' emblem on the breast. Loved that shirt but years of guinness and chicken tikka masala abuse have taken their toll...not on the sweatshirt, my midrift. :-) :-) :-)
Would be nice to have some reprints of the older merchandise made available. I still cherish my 1982 tour shirt, unfortunately I have expanded from the Medium size I was then , and it now resemble's a very short tank top ! - It has been donated to the Mrs's TD clothing collection ! and of course fits her very well indeed ! :(
24db

Post by 24db »

timer wrote:
NAVEL OF LIGHT wrote:going back to tour merch. I still got my 86 tour programme and from the 1990 tour a slightly sorry looking black sweatshirt with 3 buttons down the front,collar and small 'three bikes' emblem on the breast. Loved that shirt but years of guinness and chicken tikka masala abuse have taken their toll...not on the sweatshirt, my midrift. :-) :-) :-)
Would be nice to have some reprints of the older merchandise made available. I still cherish my 1982 tour shirt, unfortunately I have expanded from the Medium size I was then , and it now resemble's a very short tank top ! - It has been donated to the Mrs's TD clothing collection ! and of course fits her very well indeed ! :(
How about a re-jigged 1981 t-shirt...with the electric 'pulse' going through through the band faces...but with the current lineup? :)
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

a nice retro line of tshirts would be nice. I got a very brown t shirt with the 70-80 cover on it. Not the greatest quality but better that the '£2 versions' you find for sale on the pavement outside venues :-)
24db

Post by 24db »

NAVEL OF LIGHT wrote:a nice retro line of tshirts would be nice. I got a very brown t shirt with the 70-80 cover on it. Not the greatest quality but better that the '£2 versions' you find for sale on the pavement outside venues :-)
I wonder what TD's earliest t-shirt looks like and what tour or gig it was for.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

NAVEL OF LIGHT wrote:a nice retro line of tshirts would be nice. I got a very brown t shirt with the 70-80 cover on it. Not the greatest quality but better that the '£2 versions' you find for sale on the pavement outside venues :-)
I had a nice red sweat-shirt that I bought back in 1981 with that on it (except it was Franke, Froese and Schmoelling). I'd love to have another one of those. Sadly it slowly went pink and disintegrated.

.......... also it either shrank or I put on weight, I'm not sure which.
andeemac2006

Post by andeemac2006 »

Is this all you can talk about is the shirts in 86 !!!!!!!! LOL Not the music

Seriously When you listen to "song of the whale" and "Unicorn theme " and Alchemy of the Heart" which Franke had a huge hand in arranging if not composing in and around 85-86, 87 I think that that line up would have developed in different directions, Fantastic directions if Christoph Franke had stayed

Some of those tracks had PERFECTION written all over them
The thing that I dont understand is for a musician that had devoted his life to Electronic music, how could he just give it up !!!!
I mean has he some fatal disease, I hope not.

And Edgar never mentions him ????? oh well
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

andeemac2006 wrote:Is this all you can talk about is the shirts in 86 !!!!!!!! LOL Not the music

Seriously When you listen to "song of the whale" and "Unicorn theme " and Alchemy of the Heart" which Franke had a huge hand in arranging if not composing in and around 85-86, 87 I think that that line up would have developed in different directions, Fantastic directions if Christoph Franke had stayed

The thing that I dont understand is for a musician that had devoted his life to Electronic music, how could he just give it up !!!!

I am led to believe mr Franke put around 5% of work into Tyger,it was mostly composed by EF & PH :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

Think youll find Alchemy Of The Heart was mainly composed by Paul Haslinger. His name certainly appears first on the credits. After the magic that was Underwater Sunlight and the early '86 uk tour i wasnt initially over the moon with Tyger but its a good album. Edgars guitar work on London is out of this world.
24db

Post by 24db »

NAVEL OF LIGHT wrote:Think youll find Alchemy Of The Heart was mainly composed by Paul Haslinger. His name certainly appears first on the credits. After the magic that was Underwater Sunlight and the early '86 uk tour i wasnt initially over the moon with Tyger but its a good album. Edgars guitar work on London is out of this world.
Mike, the order of the names bares no relation to who did what or the percentage...source: Johannes Schmoelling
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

epsilon75 wrote:I am led to believe mr Franke put around 5% of work into Tyger,it was mostly composed by EF & PH :arrow:
Possibly because Franke was concentrating on 'Near Dark' and other soundtracks. Given the prolific output and work rate of TD during this period they must have been working in relay.
24db

Post by 24db »

andeemac2006 wrote:Is this all you can talk about is the shirts in 86 !!!!!!!! LOL Not the music

all this begs the question...'Can fans tell who plays what on an album'? going by a few polls I've run the answer is they usually can't. We all bend TD's history to fit our preconceptions, to a degree anyway.

I think Chris is referring to live stuff here, but it illustrates a point nicely

Franke: lt all depends on the piece, because we all play similar instruments and we switch roles all the time. In general, Edgar is playing the lead stuff and the guitar-like parts. Johannes is playing chords. He's very much into chords because he used to be an organist, I am doing much of the rhythmical stuff (note Chris doesn't say ALL) because I used to be a drummer. The rules are very elementary, but they get changed around all the time. We all compose and we play off of what we composed for the other members. And then there are times when we're all doing the same things, playing unison lines or the same polyrhythms. It’s difficult, because the audience likes to know who is playing what, but that's something which we cannot deliver very easily.

.......................................................................................................

The results of the two polls:

According to Chris Franke (interviewed in 1985) what was Edgar's main role in TD in the early eighties?

You Said:

Playing Melodies: 1 vote (2%)

Playing Chords: 25 votes (50%)

Playing Percussion: 2 votes (4%)

None of the above: 22 votes (44%)

Chris's answer: Edgar played the melodies

According to Chris Franke (interviewed in 1985) what was Johannes's main role in TD in the early eighties?

You said

Playing Melodies: 41 votes (83%)

Playing Chords: 4 votes (8%)

Playing Percussion: 3 votes (6%)

None of the above: 1 vote (2%)

Chris's answer: Johannes played chords

All answers taken from:

Tangerine Dream: the original Sultans of Synth bring digital technology to the Silver Screen
by Gerald Seligman

Music Sound Output, December 1985

One last comment from Peter Baumann: "We are different persons, of course, and we have different backgrounds, so we play differently on the same instruments. He uses the same synthesizer as I do, but he will never play the same as I do, nor will I play the same as he does. Everyone looks at the instrument in a different way. So you can't possibly say that Christoph is playing Moog, that's why he's making the most synthetic sound and Edgar is playing Mellotron, so he's doing the most classical sound. It's very hard to define by the instruments.
Last edited by 24db on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

interesting post above Andy

a good example of this...is, for example..when I first bought then listened to Sorceror back in 77, the sleeve notes (as most TD), indicated who 'played' what instrument...as a young nutter, it was by turns intriguing and exciting....you know....mellotron, moog....projeKt eleKtronic....but when the music played...I of course had no idea who played what or indeed what sounded like what.....at the very end of the day...its all about the music....the result, which of course is totally amazing :arrow:
...The wise.....are silent.....
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:interesting post above Andy

a good example of this...is, for example..when I first bought then listened to Sorceror back in 77, the sleeve notes (as most TD), indicated who 'played' what instrument...as a young nutter, it was by turns intriguing and exciting....you know....mellotron, moog....projeKt eleKtronic....but when the music played...I of course had no idea who played what or indeed what sounded like what.....at the very end of the day...its all about the music....the result, which of course is totally amazing :arrow:
I totally agree mate. I think we all put some spin on things, especially myself perhaps, however and it's just my opinion, I think we have totally misunderstood some aspects of TD's history and musical legacy. Obviously this is just my opinion, but perhaps over the next few years we might all re-access our preconceptions. Afterall most people have built their ideas from so little press coverage and even less from the musicians involved.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

It begs the question who played sequencers after Ricochet :wink: :twisted: :P
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
timer

Post by timer »

epsilon75 wrote:It begs the question who played sequencers after Ricochet :wink: :twisted: :P

:shock: :lol: :lol: :wink: