Edinburgh 02/11/08

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by 24db »

btw can anyone remember who the guy was from the Pro Audio magazine who had a chat or interviewed Edgar after the show? Aparently TD were going to be featured in the magazine

Thorsten remembered him as he wrote a book on Depeche Mode?
EDWEIRDO

Post by EDWEIRDO »

24db wrote:I take it Vic Galloway didn't mention TD then Ed?
I've listened to about the first 20 minutes of the show Andy, and there was no mention of it. Haven't had a chance to listen to the rest yet.
24db

Post by 24db »

The Herald (cheers Courtney!)

Tangerine Dream, The Picture House, EdinburghNEIL COOPER November 04 2008
Star rating: ***

"Wow!" beams the chap from Colwyn Bay in the gents during the second encore of Tangerine Dream's Edinburgh Eye concert, where The Herald was also taking a break. "Amazing!" He'd made the pilgrimage to bask in one of two UK dates by the German electronic group led by sole surviving original member Edgar Froese for 40 years. Not that the Tangerine Dream sound has altered much over some 100 or so albums. Rather, this five-piece Dream led by Froese and fellow keyboardist Thorsten Quaeschning continues to mine a vein of portentous quasi-classicism and middle-brow prog which is in turns sentimental, baroque and bombastic.

Aided by Linda Spa's airbrushed 1980s soprano sax and Bernhard Beibl's histrionic guitar, much of the band's propulsive force is provided by percussionist Iris Camaa, whose drum kit takes up even more room onstage than the banks of keyboards neatly arranged around each player. With two screens beaming out images of outer-space detritus, the visual focus is enhanced by the sort of laser show probably not seen since The Picture House's guise as the Century 2000 nightclub.

Froese himself sits impassive, his silver hair and red muffler contrasting with the golden-tressed glamour of the two female players. As he moves tastefully through his back pages of arid techno, Celtic-tinged slush and over-egged electronic sheen, you can hear where Simple Minds picked up their excessive moves from. After almost three hours, Froese picks up the microphone to tell us what a beautiful city Edinburgh is. They're the first words that have been uttered on stage all night in a not unpleasant but oddly soulless exchange. As they say in Colwyn Bay: "Wow."
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:btw can anyone remember who the guy was from the Pro Audio magazine who had a chat or interviewed Edgar after the show? Aparently TD were going to be featured in the magazine

Didn't Jonathon Miller write a book on Depeche Mode? was it him?
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:
24db wrote:btw can anyone remember who the guy was from the Pro Audio magazine who had a chat or interviewed Edgar after the show? Aparently TD were going to be featured in the magazine

Didn't Jonathon Miller write a book on Depeche Mode? was it him?
dont think so, this bloke looked different to me. Thorsten thanked him as he had read the German translation of the book
homeless

Post by homeless »

My first log-on at this TD forum since the PictureHouse.

Yup, it was total class.

I was sipping ale next to the wee stairs on the right hand
side of the sound/light desk with a permanent smile on my face
throughout.

Each and every time I see them, they blow me away into heaven.

Notable: near the end, on one of the encores, Edgar gave Thorsten the
finger, 'turn it up'... a quizzed look followed.. 'Yes, higher'!

Great interaction....

Fantastic!

1# BTW, thanks for the great pictures that are being posted guys!

2# And Edgars comments on landing at Turnhouse on a such a lovely
day .. so true..

homeless
Schulze

Post by Schulze »

This is about the only half decent picture i managed to get of the concert and proves beyond any doubt whatsoever that it would be extremely unwise of me to give up my day job in favour of photography.... :lol:

Be at one with the sequencing.....
bergen-dreamer

Post by bergen-dreamer »

Fair enough, Schulze 8)
24db

Post by 24db »

Schulze wrote:This is about the only half decent picture i managed to get of the concert and proves beyond any doubt whatsoever that it would be extremely unwise of me to give up my day job in favour of photography.... :lol:
actually that's quite atmospheric...nice one
timer

Post by timer »

Schulze wrote:This is about the only half decent picture i managed to get of the concert and proves beyond any doubt whatsoever that it would be extremely unwise of me to give up my day job in favour of photography.... :lol:

You should see some of mine ! Actually the majority of mine ! :oops:
Schulze

Post by Schulze »

Well it's almost a week since the gig, and it was at exactly this time 1 week ago this evening that i sat and drank some wine and contemplated what lay ahead the next day....

Edinburgh was going to be my first Tangerine Dream Concert, and having watched the DVD's, read reviews on this forum about previous TD gigs etc...... i had my own idea's about what might be ahead the following evening.....

Originally i was planning to go with my partner, but ill health meant it would be unwise for her to travel, so i knew a couple of weeks in advance that i'd be flying solo on this mission and was a wee bit sad about that...

I arrived in Edinburgh at lunch time and promptly tried to find my Hotel, found it, checked in, watched an old episode the "Big" Valley on the "Small" TV in my room, smoked some cigarettes, and headed out in search of Mathers just after 3pm that afternoon.

Mathers was busy, full of football fans, some lamenting about the fact that Celtic were 2-0 up, while others had bailed out of the stadium and headed for the pub after only half an hour into the game....

4pm came and went and i realised i was the only TD fan in the pub.... until about 4:30pm when 2 chaps with an unmistakable TD look to them walked into the pub..... it was Ed and Mac. I introduced myself and gradually other fans started to arrive until the point where there must have been 20 of us standing drinking beer, talking music, and all anticipating of what lay ahead....

It was strange being able to put faces to the names that i knew from the Forum, but it became quickly apparent that i was in very good company and among good people, and a very warm atmosphere filled the pub (or was that just 6 pints of beer ??)

At about 7pm we made for the Concert hall.... another pint in the concert hall, and then the first few notes of Trauma suddenly boomed out of the speakers that myself and my pint were now standing in right in front of.... a few seconds later the curtain opened, and no DVD could have prepared me for the next 3 hours..... awesome !!!!

The concert finally finished at about 11ish, and about 30 min later i found myself standing in the VIP Lounge with another pint in my hand and in complete "awe" as members of the group arrived one by one and i was getting to meet each of them. At this point i really have to say a huge thank you to Ed for sort of "signing" me in.... :wink:

Finally at what must have been about 1:00am we left the dream, and 5 of us found ourselves back in reality, in the cold, dark streets of Edinburgh outside the Picture House.... The evening had come and gone.... or had it??

A door opened behind us, and joining us out on the street were Bernard and Thorston who made no secret of the fact they fancied another pint.... :lol:

..... and in no time at all we had introduced them both to Edinburgh's premier nightclub... :wink: well at £1.60 for a pint of Stella it gets my vote... :lol:

Finally at the back of 3am it was time to leave, the dream had finally ended, the cold was starting to bite, and i made for my Hotel, camera in hand.....

Next morning i actually had to check that camera to make sure i didn't dream the night before.... particularly the nightclub bit..... :wink:

Thanks for taking this one Mac, it's a photo that I'll always treasure....

So it really did happen then.... :wink:

[/quote]
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Fantastic photos 8) nice to see the beer flowing :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

lol...excellent photos mate!
24db

Post by 24db »

btw can you remember who the guy was from the pro-audio magazine? he said there was to a be a feature on TD
Schulze

Post by Schulze »

24db wrote:btw can you remember who the guy was from the pro-audio magazine? he said there was to a be a feature on TD
Sorry, I can't mate.

I remember seeing him, but i didn't catch his name.