FAX recommendations

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

FAX recommendations

Post by 24db »

As the whole FAX/Pete Namlook area can be a bit of a minefield (with so much to choose from), I thought I'd do a recommended album each week....first off:

Move D and Pete Namlook-The Retro Rocket

http://abstractprojection.blogspot.com/

Another recommendation next week ;)
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

yes I got this one last week,its very good.
24db

Post by 24db »

Have you sussed out the FAX language yet or the colouring system?
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

24db wrote:Have you sussed out the FAX language yet or the colouring system?
Nope,cant say I know what you mean?. I don`t really get the CDs I just buy of itunes as I don`t really want loads of fax CDs
24db

Post by 24db »

cantosis wrote:
Nope,cant say I know what you mean?. I don`t really get the CDs I just buy of itunes as I don`t really want loads of fax CDs
right, well Pete has developed his own crypto-gram, it's used on all the album labels ...also the colour of the round label or cover design means something as well, in that it refers to what type of release it is:

yellow=trance, orange=breakbeat, red=clubhouse, black=hardcore, blue=ambient, aquamarine=jazz, green=house

You'll notice that Retro rocket has a blue label=Ambient but with a smaller red circle therefore it has some beats
Last edited by 24db on Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

24db wrote:
cantosis wrote:
right, well Pete has developed his own crypto-gram, it's used on all the album labels ...also the colour of the round label or cover design means something as well, in that it refers to what type of release it is:

yellow=trance, orange=breakbeat, red=clubhouse, black=hardcore, blue=ambient, aquamarine=jazz, green=house

You'll notice that Retro rocket has a blue label=Ambinet but with a smaller red circle therefore it has some beats
Oh cool, thanks for that. it will certainly help in the future when I decide which ones to get.
24db

Post by 24db »

cantosis wrote:
24db wrote:
cantosis wrote: Nope,cant say I know what you mean?. I don`t really get the CDs I just buy of itunes as I don`t really want loads of fax CDs

You'll notice that Retro rocket has a blue label=Ambinet but with a smaller red circle therefore it has some beats
Oh cool, thanks for that. it will certainly help in the future when I decide which ones to get.
Yeah, as you said it's a cool system and well thought out. Pete should be praised not only for the amount of stuff he and the various FAX sub labels have put out, but also for the shear breadth and range of the styles covered...and yet they all have his individual finger print on. Which is not to say everything is to my subjective taste, but the cream certainly makes up for the 'poorer' discs
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

yeh he certainly explores lots of different styles, those ones he did with that turkish dude are interesting
SydneyFC

Post by SydneyFC »

24db wrote:
cantosis wrote:

Interesting ,I didn't know that. Is that the same as the "billiard ball thing"
on the cover?
"Sydney till I Die"
24db

Post by 24db »

SydneyFC wrote:
24db wrote:
cantosis wrote: Nope,cant say I know what you mean?. I don`t really get the CDs I just buy of itunes as I don`t really want loads of fax CDs

Interesting ,I didn't know that. Is that the same as the "billiard ball thing"
on the cover?
Yep :)
har

Post by har »

Lads.

Needing a wee bit help here in respect of Namlook stuff.

There's 9 pages of releases on itunes :shock:

Looking for ambient/jazz/tangerine dreamish stuff. Where the hell do I start :?

Cheers.
24db

Post by 24db »

har wrote:Lads.

Needing a wee bit help here in respect of Namlook stuff.

There's 9 pages of releases on itunes :shock:

Looking for ambient/jazz/tangerine dreamish stuff. Where the hell do I start :?

Cheers.
Spyra and Namlook-Vrtual Vices IV...especially the track 'We don't mind the Rain'

Info from FAX:

Virtual Vices IV
(Pete Namlook & Wolfram Spyra)
This albums takes you on a journey through krautrock of the past right through to the digital age of today by way of old and new instruments with old and new techniques in production, composition and sound.

The result is the perfect combination of techno-jazz with deep chill out remeniscent of Namlook's world before FAX including some inspired guitar melody work on 'We Don't Mind the Rain'.

Virtual Vices IV is truly the peak of this series so far with Wolfram and Pete merging seamlessly to create this album.

CD tracks:
1 Femto 11.50
2 Sat Mute 11.26
3 We Don't Mind the Rain 11.04
4 Sons and Daughters 11.22
5 Philomela Nocturne 17.10
har

Post by har »

Cheers Andy :)

Just checked out the samples there. Very nice. i tunes plus quality also.

Sounding good.
24db

Post by 24db »

har wrote:Cheers Andy :)

Just checked out the samples there. Very nice. i tunes plus quality also.

Sounding good.
Why not checkout the track Arena from Psychonavigation 4...wait until the chords glide in across Bill Laswell's bass guitar...a few seconds and Pete adds a drum loop, a sequence and a simple melody. FAX at it's best!
24db

Post by 24db »

Like TD...then go for Dreamfish:

Dreamfish
(Pete Namlook & Mixmaster Morris)
The reissue of the successful first collaboration of Pete Namlook and Mixmaster Morris. #3 on the official Music Week Dance Album Charts back in September 1993. Quite astonishing for an Ambient album.

Swim with the music, let the deep sea ambient float out of your speakers and enjoy the waves in your room. Join Pete and Morris at their trip under the ocean following the path of the Dreamfish.

School of Fish 18.26
Hymn 28.09
Fishology 9.25
Under Water 15.18

Live the Dream - Dream the Fish
Last edited by 24db on Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.