the return of....MARILLION!

epsilon75
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by epsilon75 »

Welcome to the forum keywhizz 8) keep posting :idea: :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
wayfarer

Re: Fish

Post by wayfarer »

keywiz2112 wrote:Hi, I really liked Marillion with Fish, Misplaced Childhood, a class album.

When I first heard H, i really did not like the voice, the a friend of mine gave me Anarcnphobia, brilliant album, but since then i have found nothing to inspire me, although Marbles had its moments.

Nothing like 13th Star fishes new album, now that is exceptional give a listern it is quite reminicent of the Marillion stuff, full of passion that is missing (in my opinion) from Marillions music.

Hope i have not anoyed anyone its just my opinion. :D
No offence taken from me, but I have to question your view on Marillion's passion. Check out Invisible Man live, you might change your mind. :wink:
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

Marillion only made one poor album. Which is Radiation. All the rest have some excellent moments on them ..it's a bit strange the forthcoming double CD won't be sold in shops in the UK.
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

sparrow wrote:Marillion only made one poor album. Which is Radiation. All the rest have some excellent moments on them ..it's a bit strange the forthcoming double CD won't be sold in shops in the UK.
Radiation's a great album! Except it took me 10 years to realise it. :wink: A very difficult album to break. Getting hold of the North American version is a must. It has slightly different mastering. "It's one louder".
HYPERBOREA

Post by HYPERBOREA »

I'll have to give Radiation another go. I was a bit disappointed with it and I only liked the track "Now she'll never Know"
jacob

Post by jacob »

HYPERBOREA wrote:I'll have to give Radiation another go. I was a bit disappointed with it and I only liked the track "Now she'll never Know"
I really love the massive tracks called "Cathedral Walls" and "The Answering Machine". Probably one of my fave Marillion albums.
Jacob's Tangerine Dream Blog
http://tangerinedream.pertou.dk/
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

jacob wrote:
HYPERBOREA wrote:I'll have to give Radiation another go. I was a bit disappointed with it and I only liked the track "Now she'll never Know"
I really love the massive tracks called "Cathedral Walls" and "The Answering Machine". Probably one of my fave Marillion albums.
I have to say that I prefer the acoustic version of The Answering Machine.
jacob

Post by jacob »

wayfarer wrote:
jacob wrote:
I have to say that I prefer the acoustic version of The Answering Machine.

Which is also good, too!
HYPERBOREA

Post by HYPERBOREA »

Afraid of Sunlight has alot of great tracks on it. I must try and see them live sometime. The Marbles concert looked brilliant on the dvd
jacob

Post by jacob »

HYPERBOREA wrote:Afraid of Sunlight has alot of great tracks on it. I must try and see them live sometime. The Marbles concert looked brilliant on the dvd
I saw them in Copenhagen in 2004, and I must say the dvd captured that atmosphere very well... what a band!
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I'm off to play Radiation...it's been ages so maybe.. :wink:
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

HYPERBOREA wrote:Afraid of Sunlight has alot of great tracks on it. I must try and see them live sometime. The Marbles concert looked brilliant on the dvd
They're touring later this year, to support the new album Happiness is the Road (a free MP3, 128kbps only, is available from the homepage);

http://www.marillion.com/tour/index.htm
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

As I was not keen on the "new" Marillion I decided to listen to a couple of the albums from when Fish was the singer. I used to hate this band in the 80s because my foster brother was crazy about Kayleigh and used to always sing it while listening to his walkman, so I only really heard his awful versions of these songs from Misplaced Childhood

But I was really impressed with Misplaced Childhood when listening ealier today which surprised me as I thought I would hate it.

I was just wondering how Marillion fans rate these early Marillion albums compared to Steve Hogarth`s Marillion? And also how does the solo work of Fish compare, is it worth checking out his solo albums?
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I like both era's of Marillion..the Hogarth years were and still are outstanding IMO..the Fish era was great but there wasn't much new about the music on the four albums released. Fish solo material is a bit patchy..his new album 13th. Star is superb..other ones to check out are..Sunsets on Empires & Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors.
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

Sparrow hits the nail firmly on it's head. I got into Marillion back in 1985. My formative years were spent listening to the first four albums. To me, the eras are distinctly different. I enjoy H era music for different reasons to the Fish years.

Fish's solo output is very patchy. Apart from those mentioned by Sparrow I recommend the album Raingods with Zippos purely for the epic Plague of Ghosts. This series of tracks is also on the 2-disc best of Fish, released a couple of years back, called Bouillabaise.