When David met Edgar

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

When David met Edgar

Post by 24db »

Just found this little snippet in an old copy of Best or Rock & Folk magazine (circa 1976). Anybody care to do a 'non-babelfish' translation?

Michel (ingenieur assistant):

'Dans le meme genre, David a fait venir Edgar Froese, de Tangerine Dream, qui est arrive plein de bonne volonte. Pour en-registrer avec Bowie il avait annule plusiers concerts en italie, Apres le diner on est monte au studio, Froese a ecoute les bandes et ne savait pas quoi penser, ni qui faire, David a vu qu'il ne se branchait pas sure la musique, et on ne sait pas ce qui s'est passe, toujours est-il que le lendemain Froese repartait a londres sans avoir joue une seule note'
24db

Re: When David met Edgar

Post by 24db »

24db wrote:Just found this little snippet in an old copy of Best or Rock & Folk magazine (circa 1976). Anybody care to do a 'non-babelfish' translation?

'Dans le meme genre, David a fait venir Edgar Froese, de Tangerine Dream, qui est arrive plein de bonne volonte. Pour en-registrer avec Bowie il avait annule plusiers concerts en italie, Apres le diner on est monte au studio, Froese a ecoute les bandes et ne savait pas quoi penser, ni qui faire, David a vu qu'il ne se branchait pas sure la musique, et on ne sait pas ce qui s'est passe, toujours est-il que le lendemain Froese repartait a londres sans avoir joue une seule note'
hmmm...totally wrong know doubt...apologises for any misunderstanding

Michel: Assistant Engineer

In the same way, David brought Edgar Froese, of Tangerine Dream, which they arrive full with good will. To record with Bowie, he had to cancel a concert in Italy, After the dinner one them goes up to the studio, Froese has listening to the band and did not know what to think, nor which to make of it, David saw that he did not connect with the music, and one does not know what is master key (sollution?), the following day Edgar set out again for London without having played a single note'
Last edited by 24db on Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
la sagesse du destin

Post by la sagesse du destin »

24db wrote:Just found this little snippet in an old copy of Best or Rock & Folk magazine (circa 1976). Anybody care to do a 'non-babelfish' translation?

"In the same way, David called Edgar Froese (from Tangerine Dream) to come and he arrived with goodwill.
To record with David Bowie, he has canceled many concerts such as one in Italia. After the dinner, we have gone to the studio and Edgar Froese listen to the tape but he didn't know what to think, what to do. David saw that he wasn't into the music. And the day after, without explanations, Froese came back to London. This night, he didn't play any music.
Thanks to my son Gael for the translation.Charles
Infinite thanks to all the peoples from Eastgate and TD for the Japan Raffle.
www.tangram-dream.fr
24db

Post by 24db »

la sagesse du destin wrote:

"In the same way, David called Edgar Froese (from Tangerine Dream) to come and he arrived with goodwill.
To record with David Bowie, he has canceled many concerts such as one in Italia. After the dinner, we have gone to the studio and Edgar Froese listen to the tape but he didn't know what to think, what to do. David saw that he wasn't into the music. And the day after, without explanations, Froese came back to London. This night, he didn't play any music.
Cheers Charles and Gael
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Bit of a golden nugget that snippet. :shock:
24db

Post by 24db »

btw Charles, there's more French articles to follow on my blog
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:

go on mention a 1970's breakfast cereal :)
24db

Post by 24db »

To add a bit more about the whole Bowie/Froese friendship.

In 1976 Edgar met David after one of Bowie's concerts in Berlin and they soon became friends. They had long discussions about art and 'timeless music' and both found that they had a similar art background. Bowie had escaped from the hell of LA where he had developed a serious drug addiction, anyway Berlin offered him a bolt hole to get away from things (A side note, Iggy Pop thought it was hilarious that David would choose Berlin, as it had a long history for being the smack capital of Europe). Anyway Edgar and Monica Froese helped David throughout his stay in Berlin and perhaps more importantly with his drug addiction (David having found a flat not far from Edgar's home in Berlin). The two men met on and off for 6 months but no music resulted from this period.

Edgar interviewed in 1978:

Synapse: On your 'Macula Transfer" (3rd solo LP) the dedication reads to "'David Bowie, Iggy --- and the ghost of Chopin”. What's the significance behind the dedica­tion?

Froese: I have a very strange story con­cerning that. I've never talked about it before. I'm not sure if it's good to talk about it . . . anyway: I was together with David for maybe half a year. I would visit him in the Hansa by the Wall studio, where he recorded the "Low" album, and when he recorded Iggy Pop's record after that- it was the first time I got to meet him for an extended period. We got into some strange discussions about music. And he came to Berlin, and stayed here for about a year now . . . we saw each other periodi­cally. A kind of friendship developed be­tween us, and there were possibilities that also developed of working on a project together. So far, because of the impossibilities of commitments there has been no chance.

David Bowie:
'I was a big fan of Kraftwerk, Cluster and Harmonia, and I thought the first Neu! album, in particular, was just gigantically wonderful' admits Bowie. 'Looking at that against punk, I had absolutely no doubts where the future of music was going, and for me it was coming out Germany at that time. I also liked some of the later Can things, and there was an album that I loved by Edgar Froese, Epsilon In Malaysian Pale, it's the most beautiful, enchanting, poignant work, quite lovely. That used to be the background music to my life when I was living in Berlin. In a way, it was great that I found those bands, because I didn't feel any of the essence of punk at all in that period, I just totally by-passed it'.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:
la sagesse du destin wrote: "In the same way, David called Edgar Froese (from Tangerine Dream) to come and he arrived with goodwill.
go on mention a 1970's breakfast cereal :)
You can still get them!!!

...although most people think they went off after 1986, they've recently made a bit of a recovery. :wink:
24db

Post by 24db »

I heard they came with a free gift with every purchase? ;)