TD in concert...a satifactory format, or a time for changes?

bigmoog
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by bigmoog »

A very interesting thread.

For me, him, BM.....its like this I think:

The problem, if there is one....is live, TD suffer from a lack of dynamic contrast, all the recent gigs I have attended and lets say since 2001 SBE have been lacking colour and space (haha!) in the music...that is to say its all a bit relentless, not enough silence, too much bang bang bang, if you know what I mean. I find 2/3 hours plus of pounding drums and total power a bit, er, boring....not boring that it sends me to sleep, but boring as its a little bit predictably samey....Astoria 07 was an interesting departure, with two differing angles on the music - first half MFD, second half a compilation of 'hits'. What I would like is a little bit of peace, draw breath a bit, you know.....maybe a surprise here or there, experimentation....danger

Other than that there is little I require, except maybe a different stage set up......

We have to remember that what we want, what we think we want and what Edgar and team present are very different.

possibly

onwards to the November concerts

HIM

PS, yes BM is an old fart who quite enjoys prog rawk etc and beer, but I prefer enjoying music that takes me away from the boring Norm...and my friends TD continue to do that.
...The wise.....are silent.....
krismopompas

Post by krismopompas »

bigmoog wrote: What I would like is a little bit of peace, draw breath a bit, you know.....maybe a surprise here or there, experimentation....danger
that´s something they could do during the bridges, which always sounds same.......... a little bit more like hold one key or transposing to the next song would be nice.
time is the fire in which we burn (zoran)
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

krismopompas wrote:
bigmoog wrote: What I would like is a little bit of peace, draw breath a bit, you know.....maybe a surprise here or there, experimentation....danger
that´s something they could do during the bridges, which always sounds same.......... a little bit more like hold one key or transposing to the next song would be nice.

or perhaps.....silence, which would enhance the atmosphere....
krismopompas

Post by krismopompas »

bigmoog wrote:
krismopompas wrote:

silence???........ you mean nothing??? ........... then the audience make noises like piping or screaming.......... or do you want applaud between the pieces???

btw: what has silence to do with a rock band???
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

krismopompas wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
krismopompas wrote: that´s something they could do during the bridges, which always sounds same.......... a little bit more like hold one key or transposing to the next song would be nice.

silence???........ you mean nothing??? ........... then the audience make noises like piping or screaming.......... or do you want applaud between the pieces???

aha!!

some of TD's greatest work has moments of quiet, silence, a pause before the dynamic impetetus of the runaway sound of polyrythmic nuance.....all 'rock' music benefits from silence: anticipation and the moment of attack
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

bigmoog wrote:
krismopompas wrote:
bigmoog wrote:

aha!!

some of TD's greatest work has moments of quiet, silence, a pause before the dynamic impetetus of the runaway sound of polyrythmic nuance.....all 'rock' music benefits from silence: anticipation and the moment of attack

I agree, that is something Pink Floyd were very good at from what I have seen from live footage, Roger and David seem to have brought that through to their solo gigs as well.
krismopompas

Post by krismopompas »

if we talk about the setlist and 100+ albums of music td could perform live, i think there´s the problem that it´s not so easy to reproduce it......... the instruments and computers/sequencers changes during the time and perhaps there´s no way to bring old datas to the new equipment..........so probably the only way to perform older pieces is to make a tangentisation (please not!) or rerecorded it completly new or mix both possibilities.......... it seems edgar working on it with tangram&hyperborea 2008.......... can´t await exit and white eagle 2009 :D
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

krismopompas wrote:if we talk about the setlist and 100+ albums of music td could perform live, i think there´s the problem that it´s not so easy to reproduce it......... the instruments and computers/sequencers changes during the time and perhaps there´s no way to bring old datas to the new equipment..........so probably the only way to perform older pieces is to make a tangentisation (please not!) or rerecorded it completly new or mix both possibilities.......... it seems edgar working on it with tangram&hyperborea 2008.......... can´t await exit and white eagle 2009 :D

I would like a new version of White Eagle as I feel this could be a massive improvement(even though I love the original) but I would hate this to become a regular thing with old albums being reworked.....
krismopompas

Post by krismopompas »

cantosis wrote:
krismopompas wrote:if we talk about the setlist and 100+ albums of music td could perform live, i think there´s the problem that it´s not so easy to reproduce it......... the instruments and computers/sequencers changes during the time and perhaps there´s no way to bring old datas to the new equipment..........so probably the only way to perform older pieces is to make a tangentisation (please not!) or rerecorded it completly new or mix both possibilities.......... it seems edgar working on it with tangram&hyperborea 2008.......... can´t await exit and white eagle 2009 :D

I would like a new version of White Eagle as I feel this could be a massive improvement(even though I love the original) but I would hate this to become a regular thing with old albums being reworked.....
more stuff is allways welcome :) ........... edgar do this in his free time ;)
timer

Post by timer »

:?
Last edited by timer on Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
krismopompas

Post by krismopompas »

bigmoog wrote:
krismopompas wrote:
bigmoog wrote:

aha!!

i´ve nothing against quiter pieces, ambient pieces and calmness :!: .......... but in your context silence means nothing, or not?? .......... how long should we hear nothing???......... 1, 2, 5, 10 or 15 minutes??? ............ hmmmm, do i visit a concert to hear nothing??? ;)
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

krismopompas wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
krismopompas wrote: silence???........ you mean nothing??? ........... then the audience make noises like piping or screaming.......... or do you want applaud between the pieces???

aha!!

i´ve nothing against quiter pieces, ambient pieces and calmness :!: .......... but in your context silence means nothing, or not?? .......... how long should we hear nothing???......... 1, 2, 5, 10 or 15 minutes??? ............ hmmmm, do i visit a concert to hear nothing??? ;)

:D

I think 'nothing' is worth listening to, as it allows a meditative pause between the all out assault of the music
ant

Post by ant »

:? I like the TD concerts today and yes I loved the concerts in the 70's but that was the 70's and I do not want them like that now, apart from maybe for the odd half-hour just as a fond nod to the past. I do not go to a TD concert these days just to listen to the music and not look at the band. In the seventies that was fine as it was a novelty but now I think if they were still doing that then you may as well stay at home and listen to your cd's. I love watching Edgar, Bernhard, Thorsten, Iris and Linda and the louder and more pounding it is the better. Yes I love some of their slower numbers but if a whole concert was like that now I would more than likely drop off to sleep, especially at my age!! Keep it up TD and I can't wait until November. :D
Biggus Dickus
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

:P
krismopompas

Post by krismopompas »

:lol: ......... don´t underestimate the casio vl-1 ;)
but i see: you just want perform your newest "marina" project :D

btw:
the loreley gig was great......... lights &lasers were nice........ the music was magic.........i´ve had 90min of 120 goose bumps.......... more isn´t possible :)

amen.