the magic of Sorcerer....or not ;)

epsilon75
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by epsilon75 »

redziller wrote:As is mentioned above the delivered tapes are a Holy Grail. What would I pay for 2-3 CDs worth of the uncut goods? $100.

(but then the $/£ is in my favour :wink: )

The Journey is an absolute 'king masterpiece

A shame that the journey is way too short,would have loved a long version of this track :arrow: nearly wet my pants when i heard this at the Tempodrom :D
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

epsilon75 wrote:
redziller wrote:As is mentioned above the delivered tapes are a Holy Grail. What would I pay for 2-3 CDs worth of the uncut goods? $100.

A shame that the journey is way too short,would have loved a long version of this track :arrow: nearly wet my pants when i heard this at the Tempodrom :D
I must admit i would pay mega bucks for unreleased material from this era.
Dark and moody just the way i like it
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

alipaul wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:

I still get excited thinking about how I felt when this album was released. All the albums from '74 to '83 had the adrenalin pumping, from the moment I first saw the cover, to the end of the 10th or so listen. (once was never enough at the first sitting). Pure magic!
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
24db

Post by 24db »

Hobo wrote:
alipaul wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:
I still get excited thinking about how I felt when this album was released. All the albums from '74 to '83 had the adrenalin pumping, from the moment I first saw the cover, to the end of the 10th or so listen. (once was never enough at the first sitting). Pure magic!
Yeah I miss that. I was at Engineering college when I got hold of my copy of Logos on tape for my Walkman...just the best playing it for the first time walking back to the station.

Half the excitement was that you never knew when things were coming out, they'd just appear in Smiths or Our Price...and you'd snap it up and rush back to play it. Sad or what? :D
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

24db wrote:
Hobo wrote:
alipaul wrote: I must admit i would pay mega bucks for unreleased material from this era.
Yeah I miss that. I was at Engineering college when I got hold of my copy of Logos on tape for my Walkman...just the best playing it for the first time walking back to the station.

Half the excitement was that you never knew when things were coming out, they'd just appear in Smiths or Our Price...and you'd snap it up and rush back to play it. Sad or what? :D
I don't think it was sad at all, come to think of it i was exactly the same
hands trembling trying to remove the cellophane wrapper off the LP
I remember 'splitting' a gut to get down to Greens Records in Tamworth to get the clear vinyl version of Force Majeure. Then clock watching all afternoon so i could get home to listen to it....................good times
all i have to look forward to now is 'Are you playing that TD not good again'
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

at the time, the only problems BM found with the mighty sorceror were :

it wasnt on virgin

it wasnt a double LP

but what a shockingly marvellous listen on first hearing : short tracks : surprising...........

but even now* : SORCEROR is one special recording

*BM repeats himself all over the internet forums daily
...The wise.....are silent.....
hansx

Post by hansx »

DSJR wrote:My take on Sorcerer (the album) is that it's a true classic and I regard it as a "proper" release (much better to me than Stratosfear, if not as commercial), rather than "just" a soundtrack.

I'd love a double CD release of ALL the music for this film. If ONLY the contracts etc. would allow this.

I suspect this great album is compiled from some awsome material. I wonder if the "TD Vaults" contain the masters??????
Me too, I never saw the movie, guess it is not my cup of tea. But the soundtrack is great, even these days. Suppose there was more music made for the soundtrack. Hope when the vaults are really opened, a final release will be there with 2 cd's.
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

hansx wrote:Hope when the vaults are really opened, a final release will be there with 2 cd's.
If there are still any oxide particles remaining on the tapes by then . . .
24db

Post by 24db »

Sfearical Sequence wrote:
hansx wrote:Hope when the vaults are really opened, a final release will be there with 2 cd's.
Considering Johannes had to bake his tapes in a special oven (and they were from 1983) the chances don't look good
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

That would be music to my years..............im sure there are plenty of leftover goodies we could buy :idea:
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

:lol:

I'm probably VERY wrong, but I think TD used BASF tapes (certainly on their "echo" Revoxes IIRC). If that's the case, they may be ok, as it was certain Ampex tapes that are now all but unplayable, needing baking first so they can be played ONCE to get a digital copy...

Not this thread, but since we're talking about the analogue recording era, I suspect the finished masters are a generation or three from the original recording.

Wouldn't it be great to have the full tracks available and probably in better sound quality (Sorcerer isn't the greatest sounding recording they've ever done imo).
24db

Post by 24db »

Edgar in 1976 (after the studio cuts 30 minutes of the movie):

"Just leave it as an example of how musicians are prostituted"

Btw just for the record (ouch)...the soundtrack also includes Charlie Parker's "I'll remember April"
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

They could release the lefovers and earn some good cash themselves :idea:
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:They could release the lefovers and earn some good cash themselves :idea:
I guess movie soundtracks are the worse case of contracts that you could imagine, not only would TD have to clear it with the film company, but they'd have to clear it with MCA/Virgin as well and then get clearance or at least 'pay' the old members of the group. I doubt whether Edgar is interested in doing that, and dealing with people he's had 'problems' with in the past.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

24db wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:They could release the lefovers and earn some good cash themselves :idea:
I guess movie soundtracks are the worse case of contracts that you could imagine, not only would TD have to clear it with the film company, but they'd have to clear it with MCA/Virgin as well and then get clearance or at least 'pay' the old members of the group. I doubt whether Edgar is interested in doing that, and dealing with people he's had 'problems' with in the past.
If it was me, I'd do it for the fans! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese