Views From A Red Train

epsilon75
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by epsilon75 »

Some superb vintage Edgar guitar work on "Hunter Shot By Yellow Rabbit" 8) Oh yes :D
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

not that many comments on the new album over at Tadream, perhaps they're too interested in top 10's? just kidding lads, after it's early days and not many people will have heard it yet
HarryPotter No7

Post by HarryPotter No7 »

epsilon75 wrote:Some superb vintage Edgar guitar work on "Hunter Shot By Yellow Rabbit" 8) Oh yes :D

IMHO this track together with ONIS and Carmel Calif are the only good tracks in this album..... the Purple Diluvial cupdisc is far superior.
Just my humble opinion :)
ant

Post by ant »

:D What can you say about VFART except - It's blooming fantastic!! Nice to have Carmel Calif, Nutshell Awakening and another fantastic version of One Night In Space on this collection but what about the other beauties that are on this cold (This should read the opposite to cold but it was changed) little shiney round disc!! There are the majestic 'Leviathan' and 'Hunter Shot By A Yellow Rabbit' along with the excellent 'Fire on the Mountain' and the gentler closing number 'Sound of a Shell' (which didn't make me cry, by the way). Some superb guitar from Edgar on this album as well as from BB. Another very fine addition to the TD collection and it gets 9/10 from me. :D
Biggus Dickus
Froesesque

Post by Froesesque »

Nero wrote:
MrCox wrote:TD's music always has been "travel music" of sorts. Think about the journey through the Mojave desert ("Mojave Plan"), a journey through different parks all around the world ("Le Parc") or a certain "Jungle Journey" on "Turn Of The Tides".
"Views From A Red Train" must be considered as TD's latest chapter in musical journeys, but something has changed. This album has a sense of urgency to it, the different tunes are highly energetic and joyful (at least partially).
Edgar's work throughout the year 2007, especially the various EPs, was dominated by fast sequencers and strong melodies. These can also be found on "Train". The ten tracks are (with only one exception) full of fast rhythms. Additionally Edgar Froese added a lot of electric guitars to his recent sound, reminding the fans of some 90's material. But one shouldn't worry, this album works perfectly in the tradition of TD's last years.

"Carmel Calif" is a great opening track. I can't believe that it was added to the album at the eleventh hour as it fits perfectly to the rest of "Train". Here you can find more of these vocal samples Edgar already used on many tracks last year. The guitar parts were recorded by Edgar and Bernhard Beibl.

"Passing All Signs" is very quiet, almost in a "Seven Letters From Tibet" kind of way. This composition doesn't fit to the album, although its melodic nature makes for a nice change. It's like the calm before the storm.

This storm breaks loose in "Leviathan". It's already a classic TD track, including drums played by Thorsten Quaeschning. The guitar parts by Bernhard a pure rock, some very strange solo parts for a TD release. The fact that Edgar borrowed the bass line from the "Dragnet" theme doesn't weaken the overall impression.

"Hunter Shot By A Yellow Rabbit" is the most complex tune on this album. More female vocal samples and a emotional melody soon make room for more heavy rock guitars, this time played by Edgar. Iris adds some great percussion to this track.

"Nutshell Awakening" - a tribute to Stephen Hawking - works equally well. It's one of the compositions that start quite gently but soon build to a haunting theme. Edgar often composes repetetive structures adding layer upon layer of rhythms and melodies. This one is a perfect example for this technique. Once more Iris Camaa adds electronic percussion and Bernhard Beibl plays guitar.

"One Night In Space" is in fact the recording from last year's EP, but Edgar added more synth parts, Thorsten plays drums and Bernhard plays electric guitar upon the backing track. This composition still is one of my favourites from TD's recent output.

On "Serpent Magique" you can hear another gradually building composition. Here Linda Spa is credited with horns and sax, but I think her contributions were mixed into the background, at least these instruments are inaudible.

With "Lord Of The Ants" the album reaches almost 90's territory, but Edgar's guitar parts are much more focussed and melodic. Linda's sax once more is credited but unfortunately can't be found in the final mix.

One of the highlights of the album is "Fire On The Mountain", maybe the fastest composition TD ever recorded. The only complaint may be caused by sound effects that already featured very prominently on "Summer In Nagasaki". The urgency of these compositions is nowhere as prominant than here. Iris is featured once more on percussion.

"Sound Of A Shell" is the perfect album closer. It contains two very different parts that fade into one another very slowly. Here Edgar and Bernhard play acoustic guitar together.

Over a year ago TD announced this album as Edgar Froese's forthcoming new solo album. Now it mutated into the new TD album, but somehow it still feels like a solo record. The other musicians (especially Bernhard Beibl) add to the foundation Edgar laid with his synth and piano parts, but how much they changed the recordings can't be told without insight into the recording process. TD announced that "Train" would be the "most rock orientated album they ever did", but this description may lead to false expectations. Many elements are typical for Edgar's work, but overall the music is much faster. Many tunes may not hold your attention immediately as they're very complex. It may take repeated listening to really get to know them. The sound of 2007 still can be found here, but the guitar solos change the overall mood, so the "rock" classification is not wrong entirely. It's a great album, not only for train journeys.

Rating: 9 / 10
Cool review, Mr. Cox! You simply came to the point, compliments!
Red Train is an album you will never leave in the drawer!
How about compositional credits?? All given to Edgar??
You were only supposed to blow the bladdy doors off!!!!
Nero

Post by Nero »

Yes, all tracks are composed by Edgar - simply ingenious this man!!
24db

Post by 24db »

I defy anybody to listen to Sound of a Shell and not tap their foot :P
Froesesque

Post by Froesesque »

Nero wrote:Yes, all tracks are composed by Edgar - simply ingenious this man!!
I can't wait, Im really looking forward to my delivery; 'Views' and Purple Duvet!!! :D
You were only supposed to blow the bladdy doors off!!!!
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

pleased to hear the version of One Night In Space on v.fart is the guitar heavy version. Ive got the onis ep and although i love this 'sequencer' only version i cant help but prefer the version on the Frankfurt dvd with BB superb guitar over the top.

The new releases are all in stock now at CDS and are flying their way to me...wont be long now till i can post a review...cant wait. :-)
24db

Post by 24db »

the album is made for headphones...there are lots of subtle touches that you probably won't notice through speakers...maybe ;)
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

well, I now have all my new TD goods

late last night, I listened to PD and VeeeeeeeeeFart in the manner of BM, ie...on headphones, in darkness....awaiting the music

I have no desire at the moment to write streams of [un]conscious thought on the music, suffice to say that now, 2008, Edgar still has (did he ever lose it?)...surprising creativity and focus.

Actually, the music touched me quite deeply, helping me forget life's current trials.

When I listen again, perhaps I will write further, but the TD star continues to shine brightly through veils of the mundane.

Long live the music.
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

bigmoog wrote:well, I now have all my new TD goods

late last night, I listened to PD and VeeeeeeeeeFart in the manner of BM, ie...on headphones, in darkness....awaiting the music

I have no desire at the moment to write streams of [un]conscious thought on the music, suffice to say that now, 2008, Edgar still has (did he ever lose it?)...surprising creativity and focus.

Actually, the music touched me quite deeply, helping me forget life's current trials.

When I listen again, perhaps I will write further, but the TD star continues to shine brightly through veils of the mundane.

Long live the music.
Can't wait for these discs to reach the other side of the pond. Probably still have weeks to wait.

Did he ever lose it? Relisten to 92-98 and report back.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

rattymouse wrote:

Long live the music.
Can't wait for these discs to reach the other side of the pond. Probably still have weeks to wait.

well, Tom, for me, Vee Fart and Purple Diluvial in particular, sum up my current enjoyment and expectations of TD (and I remind the TD fan, that I consider the TD renaissance to have begun with J D'arc and that the nineties output is a matter of taste...), EF and TD during 2007-2008 are producing music that talks to me and I find it satisfying and worth repeated listenings. I would recommend both releases, but my preference is for PD at the moment as its interesting music - and thats what I expect from Edgar....mindmusic
...The wise.....are silent.....
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

bigmoog wrote:
rattymouse wrote:

Long live the music.

well, Tom, for me, Vee Fart and Purple Diluvial in particular, sum up my current enjoyment and expectations of TD (and I remind the TD fan, that I consider the TD renaissance to have begun with J D'arc and that the nineties output is a matter of taste...), EF and TD during 2007-2008 are producing music that talks to me and I find it satisfying and worth repeated listenings. I would recommend both releases, but my preference is for PD at the moment as its interesting music - and thats what I expect from Edgar....mindmusic
I am excited by all the reviews and look in my mail box each day with great anticipation. I have to pay 11 Euros for shipping and it boggles my mind at that price that they are not shipped by express courier.
rotwang

Post by rotwang »

I hope to send a check to Ricochet Dream in the next day or two, which means I should get all four of the new releases within two weeks. Can't wait!
I am not a slow writer, I am not a fast writer, I am a half-fast writer.
-- Robert Asprin