Views From A Red Train

Nero
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Nero »

MrCox wrote:TD's music always has been "travel music" of sorts. Think about the journey through the Mojave desert ("Mojave Plan"), a journey through different parks all around the world ("Le Parc") or a certain "Jungle Journey" on "Turn Of The Tides".
"Views From A Red Train" must be considered as TD's latest chapter in musical journeys, but something has changed. This album has a sense of urgency to it, the different tunes are highly energetic and joyful (at least partially).
Edgar's work throughout the year 2007, especially the various EPs, was dominated by fast sequencers and strong melodies. These can also be found on "Train". The ten tracks are (with only one exception) full of fast rhythms. Additionally Edgar Froese added a lot of electric guitars to his recent sound, reminding the fans of some 90's material. But one shouldn't worry, this album works perfectly in the tradition of TD's last years.

"Carmel Calif" is a great opening track. I can't believe that it was added to the album at the eleventh hour as it fits perfectly to the rest of "Train". Here you can find more of these vocal samples Edgar already used on many tracks last year. The guitar parts were recorded by Edgar and Bernhard Beibl.

"Passing All Signs" is very quiet, almost in a "Seven Letters From Tibet" kind of way. This composition doesn't fit to the album, although its melodic nature makes for a nice change. It's like the calm before the storm.

This storm breaks loose in "Leviathan". It's already a classic TD track, including drums played by Thorsten Quaeschning. The guitar parts by Bernhard a pure rock, some very strange solo parts for a TD release. The fact that Edgar borrowed the bass line from the "Dragnet" theme doesn't weaken the overall impression.

"Hunter Shot By A Yellow Rabbit" is the most complex tune on this album. More female vocal samples and a emotional melody soon make room for more heavy rock guitars, this time played by Edgar. Iris adds some great percussion to this track.

"Nutshell Awakening" - a tribute to Stephen Hawking - works equally well. It's one of the compositions that start quite gently but soon build to a haunting theme. Edgar often composes repetetive structures adding layer upon layer of rhythms and melodies. This one is a perfect example for this technique. Once more Iris Camaa adds electronic percussion and Bernhard Beibl plays guitar.

"One Night In Space" is in fact the recording from last year's EP, but Edgar added more synth parts, Thorsten plays drums and Bernhard plays electric guitar upon the backing track. This composition still is one of my favourites from TD's recent output.

On "Serpent Magique" you can hear another gradually building composition. Here Linda Spa is credited with horns and sax, but I think her contributions were mixed into the background, at least these instruments are inaudible.

With "Lord Of The Ants" the album reaches almost 90's territory, but Edgar's guitar parts are much more focussed and melodic. Linda's sax once more is credited but unfortunately can't be found in the final mix.

One of the highlights of the album is "Fire On The Mountain", maybe the fastest composition TD ever recorded. The only complaint may be caused by sound effects that already featured very prominently on "Summer In Nagasaki". The urgency of these compositions is nowhere as prominant than here. Iris is featured once more on percussion.

"Sound Of A Shell" is the perfect album closer. It contains two very different parts that fade into one another very slowly. Here Edgar and Bernhard play acoustic guitar together.

Over a year ago TD announced this album as Edgar Froese's forthcoming new solo album. Now it mutated into the new TD album, but somehow it still feels like a solo record. The other musicians (especially Bernhard Beibl) add to the foundation Edgar laid with his synth and piano parts, but how much they changed the recordings can't be told without insight into the recording process. TD announced that "Train" would be the "most rock orientated album they ever did", but this description may lead to false expectations. Many elements are typical for Edgar's work, but overall the music is much faster. Many tunes may not hold your attention immediately as they're very complex. It may take repeated listening to really get to know them. The sound of 2007 still can be found here, but the guitar solos change the overall mood, so the "rock" classification is not wrong entirely. It's a great album, not only for train journeys.

Rating: 9 / 10
Cool review, Mr. Cox! You simply came to the point, compliments!
Red Train is an album you will never leave in the drawer!
24db

Post by 24db »

I'll add this:

"It is possible to fail in many ways...
while to succeed is possible only in one way."

- Aristotle
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

24db wrote:I'll add this:

- Aristotle
Isn't that a relatively subjective observation? Although some of us don't rate VFaRT that much, I'm sure TD has succeed in as many ways, as there are very positive fans.

NP. Leviathan... that track is 10/10 8)
24db

Post by 24db »

Pertou wrote:
24db wrote:I'll add this:

- Aristotle
Isn't that a relatively subjective observation? Although some of us don't rate VFaRT that much, I'm sure TD has succeed in as many ways, as there are very positive fans.

NP. Leviathan... that track is 10/10 8)
hey, don't blame me...it's ******* Aristotle mate ;)

music is music is music...enjoy it, don't enjoy it, it's just music, it's not something to beat somebody over the head with. There's no right or wrong, I don't have your ears...unless you can mail them to me? ;)
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

I have to admit there are tracks on VFart played more frequently than others.

Without doubt Leviathan is played at least 5 times a day :roll:
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

"Music is music is music"

- Andy King

More wise than anythin Aristoteles ever said, In my opinion. :)
Last edited by Pertou on Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
24db

Post by 24db »

Pertou wrote:Music is music is music

- Andy King

More wise than anythin Aristoles ever said, In my opinion.
they'll misquoting me in years to come...a bit like groove ;)
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

My Statement is

'I know what i like, nothing else matters'
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

MrCox wrote:TD's music always has been "travel music" of sorts.

Rating: 9 / 10
TOTALLY Agree MrCox!!! TD has been a constant companion with me during my travels across Asia. As I begin to prepare for a 1 month trip to China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Thailand, I am beginning to feel much much closer to TD's music. NOTHING goes better together than TD and travel!
homeless

Post by homeless »

Nero wrote:Red Train isn't Nagasaki !!:roll: :roll: ...
I KNOW!! it isn't. :roll:

I just didn't get that soft warm fuzzy feeling in my tummy on my first
listen. Sometimes that happens, this time it didn't.

I'm not a sycophant for everything TD publish.

... Yellow Rabbit .. now there's a fine track.

I've been humming that all day :wink:

homeless
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

ive got the 3 new releases on order with those lovely folks at CDS and should be getting them any day now BUT can anyone tell me if on V~Fart, has the 'One Night In Space' track got BB's superb guitar solo on it (like on the ONIS dvd)?

Also did anyone who attended the concert buy the EF/Boots ep?

Whats it like?
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

Music is the food of the soul, defined by the inmost light: the hidden realm of dreams and wakefulness. TD music in all its forms reaches into my soul and I take what I will from it. It is pure art.

BM
...The wise.....are silent.....
timer

Post by timer »

NAVEL OF LIGHT wrote:ive got the 3 new releases on order with those lovely folks at CDS and should be getting them any day now BUT can anyone tell me if on V~Fart, has the 'One Night In Space' track got BB's superb guitar solo on it (like on the ONIS dvd)?

Whats it like?
The version of One Night in Space is more or less exactly what was played last year in Frankfurt.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

timer wrote:
NAVEL OF LIGHT wrote:ive got the 3 new releases on order with those lovely folks at CDS and should be getting them any day now BUT can anyone tell me if on V~Fart, has the 'One Night In Space' track got BB's superb guitar solo on it (like on the ONIS dvd)?

Whats it like?
The version of One Night in Space is more or less exactly what was played last year in Frankfurt.
Guitar adds that little bit of punch for me 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
timer

Post by timer »

epsilon75 wrote:
timer wrote:

Whats it like?
Guitar adds that little bit of punch for me 8)
It certainly drives the piece along. :)