No more Astoria shows. It is being torn down

pogofish
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

No more Astoria shows. It is being torn down

Post by pogofish »

Love it or loathe it, it looks like a bit of TD-concerts past is about to be redeveloped as part of the London Crossrail project.
It is cramped, sweaty and defiantly uncomfortable but no one lucky enough to see the Rolling Stones, Nirvana or Arctic Monkeys perform at the Astoria ever minded.

But sentiment, popularity and the lack of other substantial live music venues in Central London will not be enough to save the historic auditorium from demolition.

Ken Livingstone, the Mayor of London, has confirmed that the 2,000capacity former theatre will be knocked down to make way for the capital’s new Crossrail service, and will close at the end of the year.

“The construction of Crossrail means that the Astoria can’t be saved,” the mayor said. He added that a new, plusher concert venue would be included in the new development in Tottenham Court Road. Mr Livingstone said: “It wasn’t at the cutting edge of modern comfort.” Barry Hyde, the lead singer of the Futureheads said: “Venues should be dirty, they should be a bit smelly because smelly things happen in venues. Sweaty people had fun and the Astoria was always something you’d look forward to.”
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 549396.ece

My memory will be the TD's bass reverberating round the gents bog under the stage! :shock: :D
bigmoog

Re: No more Astoria shows. It is being torn down

Post by bigmoog »

pogofish wrote:Love it or loathe it, it looks like a bit of TD-concerts past is about to be redeveloped as part of the London Crossrail project.
It is cramped, sweaty and defiantly uncomfortable but no one lucky enough to see the Rolling Stones, Nirvana or Arctic Monkeys perform at the Astoria ever minded.

But sentiment, popularity and the lack of other substantial live music venues in Central London will not be enough to save the historic auditorium from demolition.

Ken Livingstone, the Mayor of London, has confirmed that the 2,000capacity former theatre will be knocked down to make way for the capital’s new Crossrail service, and will close at the end of the year.

“The construction of Crossrail means that the Astoria can’t be saved,” the mayor said. He added that a new, plusher concert venue would be included in the new development in Tottenham Court Road. Mr Livingstone said: “It wasn’t at the cutting edge of modern comfort.” Barry Hyde, the lead singer of the Futureheads said: “Venues should be dirty, they should be a bit smelly because smelly things happen in venues. Sweaty people had fun and the Astoria was always something you’d look forward to.”

My memory will be the TD's bass reverberating round the gents bog under the stage! :shock: :D

despite moans and groans over the years about the Astoria's reputation, knackered building, crappo facilities, security, ad infinitum, its a great shame that London loses yet another music venue...very sad

Crossrail?: that turkey wont fly.......
...The wise.....are silent.....
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Saw TD there twice and had a great time on both occasions..Lets hope they can get a new decent venue up and running somewhere in that area :idea:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
EDWEIRDO

Post by EDWEIRDO »

epsilon75 wrote:Saw TD there twice and had a great time on both occasions..Lets hope they can get a new decent venue up and running somewhere in that area :idea:
Closes at the end of the year? Still time to squeeze in one last show, Edgar :wink:
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

EDWEIRDO wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:Saw TD there twice and had a great time on both occasions..Lets hope they can get a new decent venue up and running somewhere in that area :idea:
Closes at the end of the year? Still time to squeeze in one last show, Edgar :wink:
thats in October :wink:
...The wise.....are silent.....
pogofish

Post by pogofish »

epsilon75 wrote:Lets hope they can get a new decent venue up and running somewhere in that area :idea:
Yes, they are promising a new venue somewhere in the TCR redevelopment but I'd hazzard a guess it will be a bit more posh & sanitised to f*ck. :(

Also doubt it will be open till several years after the Astoria closes.
Last edited by pogofish on Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alipaul

Re: No more Astoria shows. It is being torn down

Post by alipaul »

bigmoog wrote:
pogofish wrote:Love it or loathe it, it looks like a bit of TD-concerts past is about to be redeveloped as part of the London Crossrail project.

despite moans and groans over the years about the Astoria's reputation, knackered building, crappo facilities, security, ad infinitum, its a great shame that London loses yet another music venue...very sad

Crossrail?: that turkey wont fly.......
I bet it was great in it's hey day
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

I won't miss the venue at all, but the location was great. I hope they free-up the Dominion from that 'Innuendo' musical or whatever's been on there the last few years. What better venue for a TD concert.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

...well if TD can't find another venue in London they'll just have to play somewhere else in the UK. :D

I won't be shedding too many tears.
Hyperboreauk

Post by Hyperboreauk »

billythefish wrote:I won't miss the venue at all, but the location was great. I hope they free-up the Dominion from that 'Innuendo' musical or whatever's been on there the last few years. What better venue for a TD concert.
I won't miss it either.
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

Chris Monk wrote:...well if TD can't find another venue in London they'll just have to play somewhere else in the UK. :D

Birmingham would be good excellent transport routes !!!

Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

alipaul wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:...well if TD can't find another venue in London they'll just have to play somewhere else in the UK. :D

I could stand to see TD at The Symphony Hall again.
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

Chris Monk wrote:
alipaul wrote:

I could stand to see TD at The Symphony Hall again.
And me the sound was superb, must cost a bit to hire though

redziller

Post by redziller »

Worth knick a brick during the demolition for EBay?

It may not have been a pleasant venue but I have fond memories of gigs there.

One of our office buildings is just aboce the tube station and wll be going to - shan't miss that very much to be sure.
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

Been to the Astoria many times, including TD shows. I often see bands two or three times on one tour and if the tour includes the Astoria it is nearly always the worst gig for sound, vision, atmosphere and band performance plus the heavy handed way the bouncers clear you out at the end so the disco can start on time.

An awful venue. Glad to see the back of it.