the magic of Sorcerer....or not ;)

Chris Monk
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:Here's rare still of two blokes having a fight in a chocolate shop in the long h-o-t summer of 1976:

There not fighting, one of them is tickling the other. :wink:
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:
24db wrote:Here's rare still of two blokes having a fight in a chocolate shop in the long h-o-t summer of 1976:

There not fighting, one of them is tickling the other. :wink:
well he would, he's just run over his leg with a big truck!
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

I'd better not get this DVD because it might spoil the emotions and imaginary places that the album evokes for me. After I'd seen the film Firestarter it did that to a certain extent. The film that didn't impair the music for me was Flashpoint.... a really good film.
timer

Post by timer »

Desert_Voyager wrote:I'd better not get this DVD because it might spoil the emotions and imaginary places that the album evokes for me. After I'd seen the film Firestarter it did that to a certain extent. The film that didn't impair the music for me was Flashpoint.... a really good film.
Very underatted Strk & Film -Flashpoint, bur the Sorc film and soundtrack are possibly one of the best team ups Ive heard and seen, and it doesn't distract that the Strk is excellent in it's own right.
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

timer wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:I'd better not get this DVD because it might spoil the emotions and imaginary places that the album evokes for me. After I'd seen the film Firestarter it did that to a certain extent. The film that didn't impair the music for me was Flashpoint.... a really good film.
Very underatted Strk & Film -Flashpoint, bur the Sorc film and soundtrack are possibly one of the best team ups Ive heard and seen, and it doesn't distract that the Strk is excellent in it's own right.
Yes, I believe it is a very good film, aswell. It's just that seeing a film after I've heard the soundtrack (or read the book) can spoil the way that I imagined it. So, I would rather associate the strk with my own imagination and emotions, than the film.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Fantastic soundtrack and certainly one of my favorites,the film itself is pretty decent as well IMHO 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

I'm very keen to see Sorcerer, but so far have only seen Wages of Fear. For me, the TD soundtrack would work superbly with this original, and it is this film I have in mind when I hear the music.

BTW - I agree about Flashpoint too - I really rated this film - a sort of pre X-files story, and a top soundtrack. I prefer Sorcerer's music though, which surprises me somewhat as the early to mid eighties are more of my favourite era than mid seventies.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

Sorcerer is not only my favorite TD soundtrack, but quite likely my favorite TD album of all time (some days it's a toss-up between Sorcerer and Stratosfear). Many of the tracks on Sorcerer are in a style that I consider to be "definitive" of Tangerine Dream ("Search", "Grind," and "Betrayal" for example). I like the movie as well, but the first time I saw it I was surprise by how little the music actually features in the film. Nevertheless, a friend of mine got into TD via this movie. He actually went back to the theater (cinema) two or three more times just to hear the music.

I love the variety of pieces to be found here: Hard-edged sequencer tracks ("Grind," "Betrayal"), atonal, atmospheric pieces ("Main Title", "Abyss"), pastoral melodic pieces ("The Journey" "The Mountain Road"), slow, building pieces ("Vengeance", "Creation"), and even reggae! ("Impressions of Sorcerer"). Also, if you listen carefully while watching the film, there are a few snippets of music here and there (I'm talking about TD, not the Keith Jarrett piece), that are not on the soundtrack release. Yes, it would be a dream come true to have all 90 minutes of music that was produced.

I know I'll get smacked for saying this, but one day I finally saw the original Wages of Fear and was bored to tears. I consider this to be one of those very rare examples of a remake outshining the original.
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

I always remember the opening credits to this movie with TD's music and the helicopter flying in.
The other memorable scene is trying to get the trucks over the rope bridge during a storm excellent combination of music and film.
never bettered IMHO
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

Sfearical Sequence wrote:Sorcerer is not only my favorite TD soundtrack, but quite likely my favorite TD album of all time (some days it's a toss-up between Sorcerer and Stratosfear). Many of the tracks on Sorcerer are in a style that I consider to be "definitive" of Tangerine Dream ("Search", "Grind," and "Betrayal" for example). I like the movie as well, but the first time I saw it I was surprise by how little the music actually features in the film. Nevertheless, a friend of mine got into TD via this movie. He actually went back to the theater (cinema) two or three more times just to hear the music.

I love the variety of pieces to be found here: Hard-edged sequencer tracks ("Grind," "Betrayal"), atonal, atmospheric pieces ("Main Title", "Abyss"), pastoral melodic pieces ("The Journey" "The Mountain Road"), slow, building pieces ("Vengeance", "Creation"), and even reggae! ("Impressions of Sorcerer"). Also, if you listen carefully while watching the film, there are a few snippets of music here and there (I'm talking about TD, not the Keith Jarrett piece), that are not on the soundtrack release. Yes, it would be a dream come true to have all 90 minutes of music that was produced.

I know I'll get smacked for saying this, but one day I finally saw the original Wages of Fear and was bored to tears. I consider this to be one of those very rare examples of a remake outshining the original.
Are you me in disguise? Stratosfear is my favourite, but Sorcerer is right up there and I much preferred the movie to Clouzot's "Wages of Fear". "Grind" is the track I most associate with the atmosphere of the movie and I use it as my ringtone. "The Mountain Road" is my message alert and I usually let this play in it's entirety, before reading any message!
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
rotwang

Post by rotwang »

I watched Sorcerer in the theater on my 18th birthday not too long after the album was released. I wanted to see how the music fit in with the screen action. It's a reasonably good movie, but I must confess that the original film, The Wages of Fear, is far superior. But I do enjoy the Sorcerer soundtrack, one of TD's better efforts. It's got some wonderful tracks, particularly Betrayal, one of my personal favorites.
I am not a slow writer, I am not a fast writer, I am a half-fast writer.
-- Robert Asprin
24db

Post by 24db »

I must read the book one day, anybody read it?

Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

24db wrote:I must read the book one day, anybody read it?

:roll: :P
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

Although I have a CD of this soundtrack. I dusted off my old vinyl. I must admit to quite liking it for the first time. The atmospheric tracks do work and there are some brilliant sequencer tracks on there too. More than I had thought. I think I haven't listened to this album in about 6 years when I bought a CD copy.
redziller

Post by redziller »

As is mentioned above the delivered tapes are a Holy Grail. What would I pay for 2-3 CDs worth of the uncut goods? $100.

(but then the $/£ is in my favour :wink: )

The Journey is an absolute 'king masterpiece
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game