the magic of Sorcerer....or not ;)

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

the magic of Sorcerer....or not ;)

Post by 24db »

What are your opinions of this soundtrack? TD themselves were never that happy with how their music was used in the film, having produced almost double what eventually appeared in the movie.

When Sorcerer was first shown theatre's in the US a 3 1/2 minute overture by TD was played 'before' the movie was projected. Makes you wonder where all the rest of the music went (it's been debated over for years I know).

I think the music stands up very well, and it certainly works within the movie (even though a few fans don't realise that quite a lot of what they're hearing during Sorcerer is in fact Keith Jarrett's Spheres part 3).
The lost Sorcerer theme:

http://www.subcin.com/sorcerer.html

http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/search?q=sorcerer

Sorcerer chronology:...guesswork I should add:

March 1974: William Friedkin hears TD whilst in Munich for the premiere of the Exorcist. A year later he meets the band in Paris and gives them the script for Sorcerer.

March 1976: TD ‘complete’ the recording of Sorcerer (TD press release info)

Aug-Sept 1976: Start recording Stratosfear in Berlin

Oct 16 1976: UK press run adverts and review Stratosfear (reviewed in Melody Maker) …‘the LP will be out soon’

Oct 19 1976: Spanish Press review Stratosfear

Nov 1976: Stratosfear released

Jan 1977: Edgar and Chris fly to Los Angeles to mix the soundtrack for Sorcerer. Peter Baumann stays in Berlin to do some solo recording

July 1977: Rolling Stone runs adverts for Sorcerer

Variety has an article stating that the movie will be screened with an extra
Reel of overture music (lasting 3 ½ minutes before the movie)
Last edited by 24db on Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

My take on Sorcerer (the album) is that it's a true classic and I regard it as a "proper" release (much better to me than Stratosfear, if not as commercial), rather than "just" a soundtrack.

I'd love a double CD release of ALL the music for this film. If ONLY the contracts etc. would allow this.

I suspect this great album is compiled from some awsome material. I wonder if the "TD Vaults" contain the masters??????
xenon

Post by xenon »

Sorcerer is for me:

1) A great and underrated film. Absolutely amazing.
2) One of the best soundtracks I have ever heard.
3) One of my favorite (and best) Tangerine Dream albums.
24db

Post by 24db »

xenon wrote:Sorcerer is for me:

1) A great and underrated film. Absolutely amazing.
2) One of the best soundtracks I have ever heard.
3) One of my favorite (and best) Tangerine Dream albums.
Well it's certainly a very underated film, everyone got a bit snotty with Friedkin 'How dare he remake one of French Cinema's untouchable classics' seemed to be the general opinion (btw I think the original Clouzot film is probably one of the best films ever made).
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

My take on the music is that it contains some classic moments and overall is very satisfying, in a very dark sort of way. The only thing that mars it slightly is that the music is chopped up into small pieces, instead of being assembled into several longer suites.
Hyperboreauk

Post by Hyperboreauk »

was not to keen on the music when I first heard it but it as grown on me over the years.I cannot comment on the film only seen it once on TV must be 25 years ago, about to put that right just ordered the DVD :)
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

er can i justsay (for the 997th time) that sorceror is the greatest soundtrack ever created by TD

eerie, solemn, gothic, chilling and focussed :arrow:

I always have cherished the record : the film?...not bad :idea:
...The wise.....are silent.....
24db

Post by 24db »

Hyperboreauk wrote:was not to keen on the music when I first heard it but it as grown on me over the years.I cannot comment on the film only seen it once on TV must be 25 years ago, about to put that right just ordered the DVD :)
It's a good movie, but the DVD isn't the best. Btw the version on the disc won't be the one you've seen on TV Gary.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Hyperboreauk wrote:was not to keen on the music when I first heard it but it as grown on me over the years.I cannot comment on the film only seen it once on TV must be 25 years ago, about to put that right just ordered the DVD :)
It's been ages since I last saw it. It's about time I got a DVD copy. I saw some clips on YouTube recently and that sparked an interest.
Hyperboreauk

Post by Hyperboreauk »

24db wrote:
It's a good movie, but the DVD isn't the best. Btw the version on the disc won't be the one you've seen on TV Gary.
Thanks Andy I managed to get it quite cheap under £6 all in from USA.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

Sorcerer is my favourite TD soundtrack and a great album in it's own right. I also really like the movie and whilst most critics don't consider it as "worthy" as Clouzot's original, I find it much more enjoyable to watch.
TD at their peak!
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
24db

Post by 24db »

Hyperboreauk wrote:
24db wrote:
Thanks Andy I managed to get it quite cheap under £6 all in from USA.
A bargain!
24db

Post by 24db »

Hobo wrote:Sorcerer is my favourite TD soundtrack and a great album in it's own right. I also really like the movie and whilst most critics don't consider it as "worthy" as Clouzot's original, I find it much more enjoyable to watch.
TD at their peak!
Parts are certainly more striking, however 'for me' the original could never be bettered (well I suppose they could have put the TD score on it, but you can have everything ;))
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

can i just repeat repeat that sorcerorwagesoffear is a very fine example of tangerine dreams very superb music :arrow:
...The wise.....are silent.....
24db

Post by 24db »

Here's rare still of two blokes having a fight in a chocolate shop in the long h-o-t summer of 1976: