The End?

EricDraven
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

The End?

Post by EricDraven »

First the cancellation of E-dition magazine, now the closing of the EM forum NL. Two [of a dwindling] source for EM information vanished without warning within months. Now the only remainig EM forums are this one, the "TD fan forum" and [sadly hardly any activity] "Big Moogs".

And add the closing of Quantum, it's also becoming harder to actually purchase some EM. Good case and point, the latest TD releases, no one except Eastgate and Groove are stocking them.

I just recently bought "Blue Dawn" from Groove as I waited for Synth Music Direct [who refuse to stock current TD, as Dave Law says "no one wants them"] or Eurock to offer them, but nothing.

So, is the scene coming to a crashing end? It certainly doesn't bode well for the future.
Electronic music for sale at
http://www.synthnation.weebly.com
24db

Re: The End?

Post by 24db »

EricDraven wrote:First the cancellation of E-dition magazine, now the closing of the EM forum NL. Two [of a dwindling] source for EM information vanished without warning within months. Now the only remainig EM forums are this one, the "TD fan forum" and [sadly hardly any activity] "Big Moogs".

And add the closing of Quantum, it's also becoming harder to actually purchase some EM. Good case and point, the latest TD releases, no one except Eastgate and Groove are stocking them.

I just recently bought "Blue Dawn" from Groove as I waited for Synth Music Direct [who refuse to stock current TD, as Dave Law says "no one wants them"] or Eurock to offer them, but nothing.

So, is the scene coming to a crashing end? It certainly doesn't bode well for the future.
Nice to see that Dave has his finger on the pulse there! ;) Seriously though there's nothing on SMD's site or catalogue (at the moment) to make me even bother to checkout their site, they've created a niche within a very small niche...which is something of a daft thing to do, if you wanna sell CDs. CDS seem to be quite quiet as well.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if some of these companies go to the wall over the next 5 years (the manager of Sisterray, a record shop in London rang into BBC Radio 5 the other day and said he thought the high street record shop business would go into melt down...his exact word were 'blood bath', due to the ever increasing pressure from the likes of Amazon, Play etc). Now if mainstream shops ( as in sells millions and millions of records...like HMV which sold roughly the same amount of CDs as the previous year, but due actually made a loss for the first time ever) can't make a go of it, what chance has a small EM company, and that would be a shame as I've been buying stuff from mail order companies for years.

As for forums....form your own, it's not hard. Over to BM for techie info. It just needs to be different to the one already running.

Ps. what about the Yahoo Tadream forum? messy as hell...but still worth a laugh
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

any one with a good PC and broadband and some free time can have a forum

here' a good start

http://www.myfreeforum.co.uk/

or

http://myfreeforum.org/

you can build just about any forum about any thing

BM is currently building a ZEIT only forum with one member : BM

and one dedicated forum for flamers and trolls and spammers and wallies : opened and closed on the same day 26.1.2007 :arrow: :wink:
Last edited by bigmoog on Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...The wise.....are silent.....
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:any one with a good PC and broadband and some free time can have a forum

here' a good start

http://www.myfreeforum.co.uk/

you can build just about any forum about any thing

BM is currently building a ZEIT only forum with one member : BM

and one dedicated forum for flamers and trolls and spammers and wallies : opened and closed on the same day 26.1.2007 :arrow: :wink:
make one for Techie and musicians, um give it a snappy name....something like electronic something, no shorter, say EM....and it's a forum....lets shorten it...say EMforum....hang on...D'oh!

No, no seriously ;) there is room for another forum, say for the equipment side of things or for promotion of new music, concerts, info exchange etc etc. Jez Creeks forum springs to mind, nicely run, polite and flame wars and misunderstandings seldom happen (if ever), but then again it's a private forum....so perhaps there's something to learn from there.

That's the easy bit, the hard bit is getting everyone to play nicely and except that everyone has an equal point of view
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

BM has just made his forum private

gawd....unfortunately he cant login now :arrow:

:roll: .....

as long as we have dedicated fans or those willing to make the effort there will always be EM forums....hell, there's even a mellotron forum
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

EricDraven wrote:First the cancellation of E-dition magazine, now the closing of the EM forum NL. Two [of a dwindling] source for EM information vanished without warning within months. Now the only remainig EM forums are this one, the "TD fan forum" and [sadly hardly any activity] "Big Moogs".

I made a previous post in another thread, to this effect. The cessation of the Trees and Leaves project was also a major blow and the death of John Peel an incalcuable loss. We sorely need another of his ilk to champion the cause. Sadly, I fear we will never see his like again.

The main problem is the media. We are bombarded with mediocrity and the majority lap it up, so it's repeated over and over again. At least we've had an "underground movement" to support our needs up to now.

What does the future hold? I'm not sure, but there are still a lot of good acts out there, that have never been in the business for the money and I suspect they will continue regardless. I will continue to give them my support and hope for an upturn in fortunes.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:BM has just made his forum private

gawd....unfortunately he cant login now :arrow:

:roll: .....

as long as we have dedicated fans or those willing to make the effort there will always be EM forums....hell, there's even a mellotron forum
I wanna join!....I want to tell them a sampler is better ;)...just kiddin' poptastic Tron fans ;)
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

:D

there will always be EM....because of its history, legacy, importance and the future....and there will always be the fans and forums...and to HELL with mediocrity and crappe music and :arrow:
24db

Post by 24db »

Hobo wrote:

I made a previous post in another thread, to this effect. The cessation of the Trees and Leaves project was also a major blow and the death of John Peel an incalcuable loss. We sorely need another of his ilk to champion the cause. Sadly, I fear we will never see his like again.

The main problem is the media. We are bombarded with mediocrity and the majority lap it up, so it's repeated over and over again. At least we've had an "underground movement" to support our needs up to now.

What does the future hold? I'm not sure, but there are still a lot of good acts out there, that have never been in the business for the money and I suspect they will continue regardless. I will continue to give them my support and hope for an upturn in fortunes.
As far as 'EM' as some people see it....it's dead, but....long live EM it's alive and kicking. Now the argument starts when you or I start to define what is or is not EM. Peel knew that 95% of music is rubbish that's what made him tick, he knew the interesting stuff had nothing to do with the width of yer flairs, record sales or stretch-limmos....

these days, we are all John Peels (no I'm not comparing myself to JP, I'm not fit enough to polish his boots etc etc), no what I mean is that there is a world's worth of music out there, but we now have the net to go out and play new stuff, try before we buy...that didn't exist in a useable form 15 years ago. Forget the radio, let's be honest it's never really played what we like, so let's move on. Only the other day I found two new music discoveries, ....well new to me, but then again that's the whole point about music, isn't it?

Steps off soap-box ;)
24db

Post by 24db »

http://emportal.boomp.com/emportal.html

Cheers to Jez for suggesting this over at his forum....so I nicked/borrowed it ;)
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

bigmoog is now a member of yet another forum : thanks to andy :arrow:

thats 36 I belong to

note : I have no life :D
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:bigmoog is now a member of yet another forum : thanks to andy :arrow:

thats 36 I belong to

note : I have no life :D

hmmm don't think I'll bother, my RSI was more than enough with 2 or 3 forums
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

yep, but i need a forum where i can post old crappe about seagull and marinaTegenDer without being blowtorched .....er i would do that on my forum....but the admin is very strict :D
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:yep, but i need a forum where i can post old crappe about seagull and marinaTegenDer without being blowtorched .....er i would do that on my forum....but the admin is very strict :D
Try emailing yourself! ;)
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

:shock: I emailed myself and I had this reply:

Dear Bigmoog, these sort of emails are not allowed, your constant posting and the boring of forum members with repetitive humour and self deprecating humour directed at yourself regarding genres, berlin schules 'death' and the merits of feathers, banging on about them PINKYEARS and SAXaphone solos played via memorex metal tapes must result in bigmoogsteedeeforum admin banning you and shutting off your comput

Scientists advise that EM extinction events occur every 65 million years