TD live....the future

harmonicaman
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by harmonicaman »

Having seen TD live as early as 1975 - this is an interesting question,
when a band plays live they have to have equipment - that is stating the obvious. As far as I'm concerned the band uses what it needs to use to play live, be it a huge analogue modular beast or a computer sporting a nice line in VST's.

There is though a "problem", IMO with new technology.

I saw Kraftwerk live - three guys stood on a stage - each with a laptop, no discernible keyboards, one of them had some tiny drum pads linked to his laptop. The visuals were superb, the sound crisp and clear - and I felt cheated :!: :!: .

Like I was watching a top of the pops appearance. Live vocals for sure, but for everything else - who knew ?? I didn't

oh how I harkened back to the 1975 UK tour - I was disappointed in the current "version". great songs, but when technological elitism makes you disappear up your own backside - you have lost the plot

I had a similar problem with TD at Shepherds Bush in 01 and The Astoria in 03, I honestly didn't know if I was watching a live band or a cabaret.

Shepherds Bush 05 and this years Tempodrom shows brought back that excitement from seeing TD live again - they used new technology, and old [it don't get much older than a digeridoo !!!] - and at the end I felt as though I'd seen great things again. those two shows restored my faith in them as a LIVE EXPERIENCE.

When it comes to live performance technology can go too far, except for performance art where boundaries are deliberately pushed, when I go to see a band live - I expect to see a band live, and that means equipment.
24db

Post by 24db »

harmonicaman wrote:Having seen TD live as early as 1975 - this is an interesting question,
when a band plays live they have to have equipment - that is stating the obvious. As far as I'm concerned the band uses what it needs to use to play live, be it a huge analogue modular beast or a computer sporting a nice line in VST's.

I saw Kraftwerk live - three guys stood on a stage - each with a laptop, no discernible keyboards, one of them had some tiny drum pads linked to his laptop. The visuals were superb, the sound crisp and clear - and I felt cheated :!: :!: .

Like I was watching a top of the pops appearance. Live vocals for sure, but for everything else - who knew ?? I didn't

oh how I harkened back to the 1975 UK tour - I was disappointed in the current "version". great songs, but when technological elitism makes you disappear up your own backside - you have lost the plot

I had a similar problem with TD at Shepherds Bush in 01 and The Astoria in 03, I honestly didn't know if I was watching a live band or a cabaret.

Shepherds Bush 05 and this years Tempodrom shows brought back that excitement from seeing TD live again - they used new technology, and old [it don't get much older than a digeridoo !!!] - and at the end I felt as though I'd seen great things again. those two shows restored my faith in them as a LIVE EXPERIENCE.

When it comes to live performance technology can go too far, except for performance art where boundaries are deliberately pushed, when I go to see a band live - I expect to see a band live, and that means equipment.
Nice points, however I'd completely disagree about Kraftwerk though (btw they do have keyboards....albeit very small ones). During their recent world tour there was a large and I do mean large amount of live manipilation of the song structure, pitch and filtering. The problem is that if you only listen to one gig this isn't apparent, whereas if you compare several recordings (and there's 100's of hours of material from the tour.....out there!) then it becomes much clearer you are not just hearing Kraftwerk with backing tapes etc. I'm wondering off topic here, but KW's system is based round 4 or 8 bar loops and the band can mess around with the whole structure of each song, bringing in each element when and where they want (the only song they don't do this is apparently the Robots), Ralf plays his keyboard on some tracks, whilst the new boys (boys? hahaha) control the pitch, envelope and filter cutoffs from the small controller keyboards, which from memory have knobs and touch pads. What Florian does I've no idea, perhaps he's surfing the net ;)
staatsgrenze

Post by staatsgrenze »

Hello everyone, just got here, I found out about TD in 1971 after seeing ELP in Detroit, then bought Electronic Meditation, the rest they say, is history.

The last performance we saw them was at the Vic Theater, Oct 17th, 1992
It is where my wife and I celebrated our wedding... "220 Volt Live".. Rockoon Tour.

They tried to put a tour together again in 2002, but this never materialized

When will they tour North America again?

I think they would benefit greatly by returning for some gigs.........

How about it there fellas??
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

staatsgrenze wrote:Hello everyone, just got here, I found out about TD in 1971 after seeing ELP in Detroit, then bought Electronic Meditation, the rest they say, is history.

It is where my wife and I celebrated our wedding... "220 Volt Live".. Rockoon Tour.

Welcome staatsgrenze. I'm pretty sure TD will want to squeeze in a few U.S. dates in 2007/8, but I'm not convinced they will commit themselves to a full blown tour of the States. Hopefully, they will play a venue near you.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote:
DSJR wrote:I'm sorry everyone, but I'd love to see some improvisation coming back in.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that TD resurrect their old analogue equipment (they probably sold it all years ago), but I think it would be great if they could maybe start with a well known piece and then have an improvised section, gradually reverting to a conventional conclusion...

Sorry, It's the wine talking (Merry Christmas all), but playing or doodling over existing tracks isn't my idea of a gig and I wouldn't make the effort to attend if that was all I was going to see or hear.....
Well, that's a choice we all have to make, in the end it's if you don't like it, don't go and see them or find another group that offers 'you' more of what you enjoy. More me a gig is 'more' than just the means of performing and the percentage of music playing by Edgar's big thumb and index finger ;)

TD will never go back to previous ways of performing, you only have to listen to Edgar for a few minutes to understand that.

I think EF has made this plain on many occasions in interviews,No Baumann No Franke and no more improvisations on analogue equipment
:( Dont get me wrong,nothing would give me greater pleasure that seeing it,but its never going to happen..................TD have moved on and some people still have their asses stuck firm in 1975,and i was one of them :oops:
TD have moved on? Explain Linda Spa then? 1992 and back in 2006. Hardly moving on.
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

harmonicaman wrote:Having seen TD live as early as 1975 - this is an interesting question,

Great post Harmonica man. I agree completely. Most here dont care if TD is 100% canned.
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

staatsgrenze wrote:Hello everyone, just got here, I found out about TD in 1971 after seeing ELP in Detroit, then bought Electronic Meditation, the rest they say, is history.

Hey! I was at that same show in the Vic Theatre. I too hope they come around again but seriously doubt they will.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

rattymouse wrote:

Hey! I was at that same show in the Vic Theatre. I too hope they come around again but seriously doubt they will.
Chances are, any gigs in the U.S. will involve Linda. What you gonna do then?
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

Hobo wrote:
rattymouse wrote:

Chances are, any gigs in the U.S. will involve Linda. What you gonna do then?
Oh I'll go. It certainly wont be as bad as the 1992 show. They have come a long way from that. But I will be majorly disappointed if Jerome is not there. I'd rather he be there than Linda gone. I give Jerome most of the credit for TD's rise.
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

Thanks guys... What I meant to suggest is a bit more "proper" playing without hard drive backup I suppose - a bit less "safe".

Thanks to 24db, i've been able to read interviews with Edgar which explain to a degree what torture it must have been with all the old analogue gear (Mark Shreeve has similar problems I understand). Talking of MS and Redshift, a gig by them would be a wonderful way of re-visiting those old times I should imagine.

I do understand that Edgar has lived a (hopefully) very varied and full life in the last 35 years and of course he does gigs differently now, especially as he's been the mainstay throughout.
24db

Post by 24db »

DSJR wrote:Thanks guys... What I meant to suggest is a bit more "proper" playing without hard drive backup I suppose - a bit less "safe".
I can see exactly where you are coming from, but if TD are safe (and I kind of agree) then what makes you think noodling over the same old tired analog sequencers, with the same mellotron flute is anymore adventurous? If you really want ground breaking music, then to be honest you'd be looking elsewhere these days (without belittling ANY group). But...you should anyways enjoy whatever music like, that's the whole point
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

Well, to answer the original question, predicting the future is always risky - remember those old episodes of Tomorrow's World? :wink:

But I'm going to have a bash anyway!

I think it is only a matter of time before there is a back-lash against the laptop / DJ / sample culture. It is inevitable as the technology becomes more and more available and easy to manipulate by the kids in their bedrooms. The only way to get noticed will be to compose and perform well, and to stand out from the crowd in doing so.

I reckon there are some interesting interactive possibilities with new MIDI based instruments that involve a different interface with human beings. Look at the new Wii games consoles with the motion sensor controllers for example. I can imagine Iris having some fun with one of those :wink: , and remember those Youtube clips posted on the previous forum with those wonderful prototype instruments?

On another level, I would like to think there are more developments ahead in sound generation. Where is the next synth revolution going to come from? It is clear that any soft synth is only as good as the sound-card itself, and none of these are going to touch the sound of the transistors and filters of the top hardware keyboards.

Where TD will be if this takes place is anyone's guess, but I can't help feeling their relationships with Korg and Steinberg could hold them back from the main thrust of my supposed future.
24db

Post by 24db »

billythefish wrote:Well, to answer the original question, predicting the future is always risky - remember those old episodes of Tomorrow's World? :wink:
where are those musical ties Kraftwerk were gonna have? it must be true it was on TW
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

24db wrote:
billythefish wrote:Well, to answer the original question, predicting the future is always risky - remember those old episodes of Tomorrow's World? :wink:
where are those musical ties Kraftwerk were gonna have? it must be true it was on TW
I thought everybody had been given a musical tie at one stage in their lives. Mine played "Jingle Bells". Maybe that's not what you meant! :wink:
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

Hobo wrote:
24db wrote:
I thought everybody had been given a musical tie at one stage in their lives. Mine played "Jingle Bells". Maybe that's not what you meant! :wink:
I had musical underpants - they played the 64 foot organ pipe, and are still working fine after all these years :wink: :wink:
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!