Lyrics on TD Albums

HarryPotter No7
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Lyrics on TD Albums

Post by HarryPotter No7 »

Not sure if this is going over old ground.........

Got my promo CD Monday from Voiceprint for the forthcoming TD release.

I love the music on it but must admit I'm still dubvious about the addition of lyrics on TD albums, I think they just managed to get away with it on Tyger, I don't listen to Cyclone that much but the singing on that album for me is quite bizarre but somehow works with the music to an extent.

The Dante trilogy? Inferno was a pretty good attempt, Purgatorio contained some good pieces and Paradiso was (for me) awful, I think that album would have only worked without the lyrics, but obviously would then have not been part of the trilogy!

For me TD will always be an instrumental music group. I don't want to sound like I'm dissing the new album before it's even out (I will still buy it defintely) but from the bits I've heard yesterday I can't help feel a little disappointed :-(

There's nothing wrong with trying new things once in a while I just hope after Madcap's Flaming Duty they will return to the kind of music I love most. Of course, we have yet to hear the full album so maybe when it is released my opinion might change.

I am looking forward to the next Edgar, Jerome, Thorsten and Iris FULL album with no singing, the last couple of limited editions (Metaphor and the 40 years Roadmap to Music) contain some really exciting music.

Each to their own tho.....just my thoughts!
24db

Post by 24db »

Good well balanced post mate, yep vocals aren't for everyone, and quoting Peter Baumann, "TD isn't a religion", so you if you don't like something that's more than ok. I've got to admit that I had the same 'Oh no, not vocals again'! knee jerk reaction when I heard that every track on MFD had lyrics, especially with an unknown (to me) male singer. However listening to the promo earlier this month (as a mp3) I've really got into this new direction, even the sound palette sounds a bit different for TD. Once again it looks like Thorsten's tracks will be the most played at my house, but I look forward to the rest as well.

It adds more weight to Jerome's comment during an interview a year or so ago, where he said he had no talent for writing vocal stuff, so perhaps that's why he opted out of TD for a while, that and a solo album takes far long than most fans realise (yet another album I'm really looking forward to)
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

more vocals in the future, thank you... I feel like singing!
harmonicaman

Post by harmonicaman »

Naturally i'll reserve judgement until I've heard it. Though I personally prefer TD as instrumental.

Tyger I didn't like as it was too overwrought, for me that album is saved by Alchemy of the Heart, in fact I'd go so far as to say the album is worth purchasing just for the stunning piano finale of AOTH.

I do quite like the vocal version of dreamtime, and the shy people title track.

My least favourite of all TD's output, and me being 43 and a fan since 1975 - is the Dante trilogy. I'd have preferred if that was released as it actually was IMO, an Edgar Froese solo project

Wonder if this means the live tour will feature vocals ....
HarryPotter No7

Post by HarryPotter No7 »

The only vocals I want to hear are Edgar's closing words............:-)
redziller

Post by redziller »

My issue isn't with vocals per se. TD's music gives you scope to imagine worlds but lyrics in your own language are explicit and so you're locked into that. Can lyrics sore to the heights of TD's music is the question for me.

I'd love to hear them with Roger Waters
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
MrCox

Post by MrCox »

I have no problem with TD experimenting with vocals. Some pieces of the Dante trilogy are just superb, I especially love the songs with Jayney Klimek's voice, they're so beautiful (the best being "Chasing The Bad Seed", "All The Steps To Heaven" (Purgatorio) and "Between Sodom And Gomorrah" (Paradiso).

I also think that the title track of "Tyger" is simply stunning, a great piece of pop music. I didn't hear anything from "Madcap" yet, but I'm not worried about the use of vocals at all.
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

MrCox wrote:I have no problem with TD experimenting with vocals. Some pieces of the Dante trilogy are just superb, I especially love the songs with Jayney Klimek's voice, they're so beautiful (the best being "Chasing The Bad Seed", "All The Steps To Heaven" (Purgatorio) and "Between Sodom And Gomorrah" (Paradiso).

I also think that the title track of "Tyger" is simply stunning, a great piece of pop music. I didn't hear anything from "Madcap" yet, but I'm not worried about the use of vocals at all.
Me neither per se... but if their future output is exclusively vocal, I will miss that margin for interpretation that Peter mentioned. One of the reasons most TD is so powerful to me is that ability to make it your own.

Having said that, I have found TD's vocal works to be very accomplished and enjoyable - I'm thinking of the tracks from Shy People, Tatort, Legend and Tyger. The more experimental Cyclone and Dante trilogy work less well for me, but I still admire the will to try new ideas.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
MrCox

Post by MrCox »

I wouldn't worry about that. TD surely will add more instrumental tracks to their output in the future. The "Madcap" project is a tribute to Syd Barrett (R.I.P.) and therefore it almost HAS TO include vocals of some sort. I can't wait for the day it will be released. :D
24db

Post by 24db »

HarryPotter No7 wrote:The only vocals I want to hear are Edgar's closing words............:-)
£25 for only 1 minute of a gig, expensive! ;)
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Lets give the band a chance,im sure it will be worth it :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.