TD: 1976 tour

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

TD: 1976 tour

Post by 24db »

Last edited by 24db on Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

...'one of the most mind shattering rock bands.....'

just about sums up TD live in 76.....all the Trees from 76 prove TD were indeed....totally improvised with power and unity

:!:
...The wise.....are silent.....
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:...'one of the most mind shattering rock bands.....'

just about sums up TD live in 76.....all the Trees from 76 prove TD were indeed....totally improvised with power and unity

:!:
Absolutely BM
24db

Post by 24db »

Last edited by 24db on Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

First time I've read that and I don't have this recording, so this passage surprised me.

But that was only the beginning. When Edgar Froese stood up and strapped on his guitar, the audience went wild. Here was real stun guitar, riffs of pure vicious energy bursting like a machine gun and gliding like an organ.

It was the first time he has ever done this in Britain. The first time too, for vocals. Peter Baumann screamed, again and again, his voice riding on a wave of modulating electronics.

Thanks Andy.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
24db

Post by 24db »

Hobo wrote:First time I've read that and I don't have this recording, so this passage surprised me.

But that was only the beginning. When Edgar Froese stood up and strapped on his guitar, the audience went wild. Here was real stun guitar, riffs of pure vicious energy bursting like a machine gun and gliding like an organ.

It was the first time he has ever done this in Britain. The first time too, for vocals. Peter Baumann screamed, again and again, his voice riding on a wave of modulating electronics.

Thanks Andy.
No problem Mick, Peter did a similar thing in Paris....see above review

Not everyone was as impressed in 1976 though:

http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/20 ... -1976.html
http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/20 ... -that.html
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

Edgar doing a duck walk. Fantastic! :D
24db

Post by 24db »

Hobo wrote:Edgar doing a duck walk. Fantastic! :D
Ed the duck anybody? ;)
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

24db wrote:
Ed the duck anybody? ;)
Showing your age! :wink:
24db

Post by 24db »

Hobo wrote:
24db wrote:
Ed the duck anybody? ;)
Showing your age! :wink:
That's what my girlfriend says :D
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:Meanwhile...in Paris

Tangerine Dream
PARIS 22.11.76

T-DREAM had no support and so they started cold, but soon as the lights dimmed the Palais Des Sports audience roared and cheered and lit their gazstiks just like at a Rollers gig.

The sell-out audience of 5,500 young French were either still growing their hair or in the case of the very hip ones - had already heard of punk rock and were trimming it off. They were mostly still at school.

The opening number was a traditional Tangerine Dream piece - very lyrical and with organ sounds which filled the huge geodesic dome with tumbling images of gothic cathedrals. They built up on a piece from "Stratosfear", playing the recognisable melody in an every-changing organ and trumpet keyboard setting over a bass and drums rhythm section.

The second number opened with Edgar Froese doing much Chopin-like jangling on the grand piano which developed into something very loud and rhythmic. Those members of the audience who tried to clap along with the rhythm computer ran into trouble very quickly - trying to do things like that can make your brain fall out.

A pleasant pall of pot smoke hung over the proceedings, moving in little waves and eddies as bass notes punched into it from the speakers.
It was very much like sitting in at a recording studio, the action on stage consisted largely of three dimly-lit figures turning the odd knob and sometimes reaching over to maybe pull a switch that was until Edgar got up and did a duck walk with his guitar.

The people sitting on the floor stood up reverently. The volume was pinning back people's ears even in this huge hall. The rolling waves of stereo echoes built to a pitch where they could go no more, and it was at that point that Peter Baumann actually stood up.

I know this is a bit much for you to believe but he did. He stood up and took a microphone and he screamed into it.

The massive consoles of their synthesizers kept ticking away, red lights flashing, playing the music-as the pair of them wandered about the stage just like a heavy metal rock group. Presumably Chris Franke will soon have a drum kit hidden behind his synthi to bring out on such occasions in the future.

It was very rhythmic, one of the multi-beats was like someone beating on an aircraft wing with a sledgehammer. Peter introduced the second part in English, odd considering the group is German and we were in Paris.
The set was longer and much more varied than their Fairfield Hall gig and the sound was much clearer. The audience went nuts and demanded two encores.

The musical structures they build these days are like closely woven fabric into which they insert little grace notes which, at the enormous volume they use, sound like bubbles breaking on the molten surface of an active volcano.

The Egyptians, the Aztecs and the ancient Irish all thought, that the right combination of notes would cause stones to levitate. The Tangs must have had something like this in mind. The small bones in my ear won't forget this gig for a while - nor the Fairfield Hall one.

Chris explained to me why the London concert was so loud - it was 120db at the back of the hall (many years later Edgar said they reached 133db) - "Our stage monitors must have had something wrong and so we kept raising the PA level just to hear what we were doing." I don't really believe that, but that's their story.

The next move is obviously to get some kind of visual display. Edgar confirmed this. "It's time that we had some visual excitement, a light show, a movie or something. The music is ready for it." There was a party afterwards, held at La Nouba, a tacky nightclub which spans the autoroute Du Sud near Orly Airport.

The G'stringed disco dancers stopped dancing on the tables and the French Go-Go record biz set stopped doing the Frug to watch an acutely embarrassed Tangerine Dream receive gold records. They have suddenly become a top group in France. This must be what fame is all about.

Miles, NME. Page 35

Such a wonderful review :D
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:

Such a wonderful group, are you reading this you dancing grizzlies? will anyone remember you?...well actually I might, as I collect all this not good :D
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:

Such a wonderful group, are you reading this you dancing grizzlies? will anyone remember you?...well actually I might, as I collect all this not good :D

I didnt say "Such a wonderful Group" cos ive said it a billion times already,people might get offended :shock:
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:

I didnt say "Such a wonderful Group" cos ive said it a billion times already,people might get offended :shock:
TD rule ok?
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

The Greatest of ALL time :shock: :roll: :oops: