"Childish Gambino" ripping off Choronzon?

TheXFactor
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

"Childish Gambino" ripping off Choronzon?

Post by TheXFactor »

Is anyone at Eastgate and/or Virgin Records aware of this?

https://genius.com/a/childish-gambino-s ... commercial

Sounds like a straight-up lift of the percussion track from 'Choronzon', although people who do this sort of "music" claim that they (ahem) "sampled" something...
projekt-elektronik

Re: "Childish Gambino" ripping off Choronzon?

Post by projekt-elektronik »

This is the future, and I don't like it.
"Den Brüdern trau ich nicht. Den Brüdern trau ich nicht! Kommt alles vom Tonband." (Edgar Froese -- Signale aus der Schwäbischen Straße)
redziller

Post by redziller »

bloody cheek
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
TheXFactor

Post by TheXFactor »

Agreed, on both counts. I'm wondering if anyone at Eastgate is doing something about this. Admin: has this info been passed along to management/legal?
Jon

Post by Jon »

I can guarantee TD will never do anything about this.
TheXFactor

Post by TheXFactor »

Jon wrote:I can guarantee TD will never do anything about this.
If that's true, it's both pathetic and lazy. At any rate, I found a link through the UMusic website where you can report things of this nature, and I'd suggest to anyone else here who's bothered by this sort of thievery to do the same. The address is inboxlicensing@umusic.com, and include links so they can hear for themselves. The more times they get the message, the more inclined they'll be to do something. One would hope, anyway.
ant

Post by ant »

:D I have spoken to Eastgate and they were informed of this and it is not a fraud but an official licence deal between Virgin/Universal and Childish Gambino. :D
Biggus Dickus
Jon

Post by Jon »

ant wrote::D I have spoken to Eastgate and they were informed of this and it is not a fraud but an official licence deal between Virgin/Universal and Childish Gambino. :D
Just what I thought.
TheXFactor

Post by TheXFactor »

ant wrote::D I have spoken to Eastgate and they were informed of this and it is not a fraud but an official licence deal between Virgin/Universal and Childish Gambino. :D

PLEASE tell me that you're joking. "Taking the kick out" (as they say in the Commonwealth) and all that...
ant

Post by ant »

No, that is what I was officially told by Eastgate. No fraud committed - all above board etc. etc.
Biggus Dickus
TheXFactor

Post by TheXFactor »

ant wrote:No, that is what I was officially told by Eastgate. No fraud committed - all above board etc. etc.
In a legal sense that's good, but in the overall sense it's really an indication of how far their fortunes have actually fallen. Someone recently made mention (in one of the forums) about how the band was probably "watching it's nickels and dimes" in response to an inquiry about the very sparse amount of live performances here and there. The fact that they let someone who does rap/hip-hop anywhere near a classic TD composition- in addition to illustrating how that genre has absolutely zero original ideas of it's own- can't be an indication of anything good. Just the opposite in fact, because it potentially opens the floodgates for other to follow. Most of whom will try to hide the fact that they sampled something to begin with.

I had begun to wonder if anyone at Eastgate was even paying attention, because the links on the right hand side of this page (to purchase CDs) do not- in fact- work and instead redirect you to this page: https://www.ssl-id.de/edgarfroese.de/sh ... p?p=8a551f (regardless if you left or right click). One would think that you'd want people to actually be able to purchase the items advertised on your website...
redziller

Post by redziller »

Well good for them then - I wish TD & EF were better known and loved but there it is.
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
ant

Post by ant »

:( As this was from TD's Virgin years, it is likely that Virgin have the rights to the music and TD/Eastgate have very little say in the matter, unlike the way it is since they produced stuff under their own label Eastgate. I think that is why Edgar decided to have his own label as he was probably fed up with other record companies and the fact that they then owned the music!! One of those things from the time, I'm afraid. As far as TD/Edgar not being more widely known - I disagree. They are very widely known and respected and they have done numerous, sell-out, gigs over the last three years. They are also beginning to find a new, younger' audience too, which is good. They also got a mention, albeit briefly, on the Steve Allen show on LBC a week or so ago!!

I am sure if Eastgate could have done something to prevent it happening, should they have wanted to, they would have done. :)
Biggus Dickus
Jon

Post by Jon »

ant wrote:As far as TD/Edgar not being more widely known - I disagree. They are very widely known and respected and they have done numerous, sell-out, gigs over the last three years. They are also beginning to find a new, younger' audience too, which is good. They also got a mention, albeit briefly, on the Steve Allen show on LBC a week or so ago!!
I have noticed Paul Haslinger recently mentioning TD in his Facebook posts far more than he did in previous years. I guess that's a sign of certain positive things happening with their legacy.
Tropylium

Post by Tropylium »

As far as sampling goes, this is pretty tame compared to some stuff that came out in the 90s to 00s.

I've for long respected people who manage to look at unusual sources for samples. Picking one track apart for something is no feat, picking ten tracks from one artist and mashing them up is only marginally more imaginative, but stuff like shifting thru 10,000 tracks by 500 artists and samping the 10 most suitable ones is something else entirely. And let's be honest, TD probably count as an "unusual source" in this context (but I do think they're now getting better known again).