Your comments after having read Edgar's book!

Jon
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Your comments after having read Edgar's book!

Post by Jon »

Wow, this forum is SO dead...

ANYWAY, I finally finished the book. Of course a hugely fascinating read, all the way from Dali in the first chapter, a man Edgar clearly was in awe of. Sadly, the book doesn't tell the full story of TD. Edgar writes in detail about the 70s and 80s, but rushes through the 90s in one single chapter, and there isn't really anything about the new millennium. But of course his untimely death had everything to do with that.

I was curious how Edgar would write about Franke in the book. I think Edgar is quite fair with him, after all they played together for 16 years, and it shines through that musically they were even partners with quite a bit in common. Of course, sarcasm is a thing Edgar is quite fond of, but I feel almost everyone in the book (minus Bowie!) gets a share of it, not just Franke.

Speaking of Bowie, I think the chapter about him is way too lomg. Sure, Edgar was clearly a big fan of him, but 25 pages in his own autobiography?? You can say what you want, but I think Edgar all the way through his career liked to mingle a bit with people who were more famous than himself. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not neccessarily what the readers are most interested in reading about.

I liked the chapters about film soundtracks like Thief, Risky Business, Firestarter and Shy People, and also about projects that DIDN'T materialize, like Oliver Stone's The Hand. Chapter 41 is an enigma, though, what kind of movie was this about, that TD scored during two weeks in the US autumn 86? Edgar mentions the film producer's name as Moshe Silverman/Silverstein, but imdb lists no one with that name. Puzzling.

Some of the 80s studio albums are not really mentioned at all, like White Eagle, Hyperborea, Le Parc, Underwater Sunlight and Tyger. Strange, it seems like Edgar is more interested in writing about the different tours and concerts. Maybe it's because they generated more stories and happenings?

Haslinger receives mostly praise, Jim Rakete too, Schmoelling a little less praise, music journalist Karl Dallas even less, while record label bosses are the worst for Edgar. During the three pages of chapter 45, "Arrogance And Power", Edgar states five times that the record label boss was fat. OK, maybe he was, but I don't think that detail should be interesting for the readers. It is also quite clear that the time with Jerome in the band was not a particularly easy time for Edgar. He even mentions that the fans didn't particularly like TD's 90s stuff - I think t's quite rare that he goes into detail about this, as I always was under the impression that Edgar composed what he wanted and that he didn't really care too much what the fans said.

What I perhaps like best about Edgar's writing, is how he amusingly lashes out towards the musical purists who could only accept classical music, or rock music with conventional instruments. Edgar is a strong defender of electronic music, one that the world needs more than one of, especially now that he is gone.

The two words "slightly irritated" can be read numerous times throughout the book, as well as "scrambled eggs " and "coffee".
And Edgar is not a big fan of his homeland Germany. I guess he was more a citizen of the world.

Looking forward to read your comments about the book!
Peter Beasley

Re: Your comments after having read Edgar's book!

Post by Peter Beasley »

Nearly two weeks since Jon opened this promising thread and I'm the first to respond! I haven't read the book - I'm waiting to hear opinions about it before I decide. So where are they? There were plenty of people on the forum excited and prepared to put their money upfront to support would should be the definitive TD book, so please feel free to let your views flow.
ant

Post by ant »

:) I have the book and have started reading it but fell ill on 15th Dec 17 and although recovered now I have not yet had achance to commence reading it again. However, what I have read has been very good and gives a very good insight into the early days of The Ones and TD and of course, Edgar's life. A really good read and I hope to continue with it very soon. :)
Biggus Dickus
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

I am on page 132. Reading takes time (especially with a two year old toddler in the house :D). But I enjoy every word. A very interesting read! But as someone mentioned somewhere in this forum some time ago; it seems like very much of the time was frustration after frustration. It is maybe a bit overfocused on the failures and on what went wrong all the time. I miss some more enjoyable moments and anecdotes (although the humour is present here and there). I have just started the chapter about Cyclone, and I look forward to read about the 80's and 90's. But I am also dissappointed about the rumour I read that there is next to nothing about the last 20 years of TD's career. That makes me sad because those years are very important to me. It seems like there need to be written a few more chapters in the history of TD. Thorsten, are you in for it? :D
ant

Post by ant »

:? I know the documentary DVD did not cover much to do with the last 20 years or so but did not know that that was the case with the book. If it is, it may well be that Edgar intended to but, unfortunately, passed away before he had time to finish it. If that was the case, then there was probably not much Bianca could have done about it as she would have only wanted Edgar's thoughts in it, after all it is his autobiography about his life with TD, so it is not something that Thorsten can really cover, at least not in the thoughts and words of Edgar. If Thorsten was to cover the last 20 years then it would have to be in his autobiography!! :)
Biggus Dickus
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

In one way I agree with you, ant, but on the other hand...
This autobiography is as I see it (132 pages in) a story about the events in the band Tangerine Dream's existence. EF does not share much of himself. That continues to his untimely departure from this earth with his anonomous gravestone.
We read the odd bits about his life outside TD, and the way Edgar writes about his time with TD cannot be continued by anyone. But the story, and the details, and the anecdotes of TD's continued excitence I hope will be written down in a future chapter of the Legacy.
I hope. :D
Jon

Post by Jon »

Well, I guess the best thing would be if actually Jerome decided to write a book about his time in TD, which lasted from 1990 - 2006. That would indeed be the best solution, as long as Edgar doesn't write much about that time in his book. And then Thorsten can write about his time from 2005 until he decides to call it a day in the group. I guess that makes it three books... :lol:

I can also report that there are many TD fans on Facebook who are somewhat disappointed with Edgar's negativity in the book.

PS: I found out that the movie score in chapter 41 is RED NIGHTS.
projekt-elektronik

Post by projekt-elektronik »

It's a loose collection of funny and less funny anecdotes, a little bit of insight into how things used to be back then, some thoughts and ideas Froese had on various topics. There is no narrative plot which guides the reader from episode to episode.

A biography? Too incomplete for the band's history, totally lacking when it comes to Froese himself -- and no, it is not "the master was so modest that he couldn't be bothered to write about himself". That's a fairly stupid remark and a cheap excuse.

The book is entertaining to read.

Am I happy to own a copy? Yes, to some extent.

was it worth the wait? No, not really.

Would I pay 70 Euros for a copy? No, most definitely not.

As for the rest, the discussion starts on page 14 of the Force Majeure thread in this very forum. No need to open yet another thread.
"Den Brüdern trau ich nicht. Den Brüdern trau ich nicht! Kommt alles vom Tonband." (Edgar Froese -- Signale aus der Schwäbischen Straße)
Jon

Post by Jon »

projekt-elektronik wrote:As for the rest, the discussion starts on page 14 of the Force Majeure thread in this very forum. No need to open yet another thread.
I think the world wide web can cope with another thread. This thread is for people who have finished the book, and want to post their thoughts.
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

Sadly, as of Jan 24th, 2018 I have not received the book. Purchased it on March 2015 (as far as I can tell!) .... I would love to make comments, but can't.
Last edited by Hipgnosis on Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sorcerer

Post by sorcerer »

Interesting suggestion about Jerome writing his memoirs, that would be something.

Due to the chaos that life has been the past few weeks/ couple of months I still have not had time to sit and read the book properly other than glancing through it.

I am determined this farce will cease and will commence imminent devouring of said book this weekend.

PS had to log in 7 times to post two messages on here :roll: and copy the text before losing it all which usually happens :roll:
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

Still reading ... still reading ... just got the book this past week!
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

I have just read the chapter "The Soundtrack In Sunset Marquis", and I am totally confused. I have missed something. What soundtrack is it all about?
Jon

Post by Jon »

The soundtrack is RED NIGHTS.
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Jon wrote:The soundtrack is RED NIGHTS.
This, I guess: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095964/?ref_=nv_sr_2
Strange thing that EF does not mention the title at all. Is he embarrased of it, but had to include a chapter about it because the story and circumstances around it was so special, I wonder? :-)
And this Moshe Silverman is not mentioned in the credits of the film at all. Hmm...