New Gigs in 2016

ant
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

New Gigs in 2016

Post by ant »

:D Looks like there will hopefully be a Celebration Tour in Spring 2016 hitting Europe first and then on to North America. Will make sure my passport is renewed in time as I fancy another trip to the States to see TD celebrating the Life and Works of Edgar Froese. :D
Biggus Dickus
Hipgnosis

Re: New Gigs in 2016

Post by Hipgnosis »

ant wrote::D Looks like there will hopefully be a Celebration Tour in Spring 2016 hitting Europe first and then on to North America. Will make sure my passport is renewed in time as I fancy another trip to the States to see TD celebrating the Life and Works of Edgar Froese. :D
I hope this happens and that several folks past and present also join in now and then ... I will trek up to Seattle or to SF if I have to, and catch this.

It will likely be the last concert I ever see in my life! Having seen Magma and King Crimson in its best line up in concert this past year, I'm not sure there is a lot more that I can possibly see. Mike Oldfield will never do anything in the West Coast. Vangelis does not travel and do concerts, and Klaus Schulze will never do anything in the West Coast either ... so the time will have come ... to say good night to concerts, and a TD one would be "ne plus ultra" for me.

Not that it will ever happen, but I will be sending poems to the admins here, and hopefully, they can do something else, a bit different, and use a couple of poems from 3 or 4 folks out there that inspired the music and vice versa. it would be a nice treat to exchange with the fans themselves. But even if I don't see them ... I have 3 memories in my banks that will never disappear! Lazers at the SM Civic, lazers at the Greek Theater with trees "burning", lots of white sheets in Portland ... I've seen more than most folks have had the chance to catch them in their heyday!
impaler42

Post by impaler42 »

Any news on which cities in the US?
ant

Post by ant »

:) As yet, no dates or cities announced. :)
Biggus Dickus
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

I sincerely hope that this was not just a rumor ... to get us all excited about some bad addiction that we have.

As much as I would love to see it, I'm convinced that this will not happen, and by the time it does happen, it might be too late and this old turkey here, will be on a wheelchair, and/or walking canes, and getting to places to see this will be an impossibility ... and I do not wish to be like Grace Slick, making pathetic comments about old age, and thinking that we're all too ugly to even stand up and be counted! Like everything she was a part of was not important, or she was too ripped to know the difference! She had first made that comment about a geriatric old lady in her own book as far as I know.

Sadly, I think that a lot of TD's folks and friends, will limit the number of people showing up, so they can come up with something more cohesive for the stage ... and thus, the ability, or possibility of seeing a few other folks with them, having fun in joining in, becomes a mute point and won't happen.

As for folks showing up and adding to the presence and show? In Seattle, John Serrie should show up and play a thing or two. And in different cities, other folks should also show up. But the one person that is qualified as conductor and arranger, who probably could help put it all in perspective is already not even mentioned ... Linda Spa ... and while she might be more concerned with the continuity of things to create a full piece, others might want to experiment more ... and I'm not sure that this kind of problem is going to get resolved well enough ... to help define a new tour and material for it, other than the top ten or 20 pieces. Which they all can play in their sleep by now!
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

Hipgnosis wrote:Hi,

I sincerely hope that this was not just a rumor ... to get us all excited about some bad addiction that we have.

As much as I would love to see it, I'm convinced that this will not happen, and by the time it does happen, it might be too late and this old turkey here, will be on a wheelchair, and/or walking canes, and getting to places to see this will be an impossibility ... and I do not wish to be like Grace Slick, making pathetic comments about old age, and thinking that we're all too ugly to even stand up and be counted! Like everything she was a part of was not important, or she was too ripped to know the difference! She had first made that comment about a geriatric old lady in her own book as far as I know.

Sadly, I think that a lot of TD's folks and friends, will limit the number of people showing up, so they can come up with something more cohesive for the stage ... and thus, the ability, or possibility of seeing a few other folks with them, having fun in joining in, becomes a mute point and won't happen.

As for folks showing up and adding to the presence and show? In Seattle, John Serrie should show up and play a thing or two. And in different cities, other folks should also show up. But the one person that is qualified as conductor and arranger, who probably could help put it all in perspective is already not even mentioned ... Linda Spa ... and while she might be more concerned with the continuity of things to create a full piece, others might want to experiment more ... and I'm not sure that this kind of problem is going to get resolved well enough ... to help define a new tour and material for it, other than the top ten or 20 pieces. Which they all can play in their sleep by now!
You're a little ray of sunshine aren't you Hippi ? ;) :)
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:
Hipgnosis wrote:Hi,

You're a little ray of sunshine aren't you Hippi ? ;) :)
It's the reality that hurts the most. I missed my only chance in life to see Baryshnikov, for example, but I have been luckier than most, having gotten Pink Floyd 4 times, no Led Zep and no Beatles, and walked out of Rolling Stones, but I did see Magma twice, Gong, and a handful of other bands, but in general, of the big ones, Schulze, TD, Vangelis and Mike Oldfield, is a sad dead end, although I can understand the difficulties involved to preserve the quality.

I won't cry if I do not see TD again, but I can tell you that all of the experiences, from the albums to the concerts in 43 years, has been by far one of the best moments of my whole life.

Sunshine is relative, as it would be night on the other side of the world!

But the more I hear about it, the less I see how it can happen ... it's an incredible investment in time and co-ordination that will not bring anyone enough of a financial payoff at all ... and that might turn the whole tour to 5 or 6 places in the US only, in order to prevent the losses.

But yeah ... I would even love to see Jerome show up in the middle of nowhere in sunglasses with a guitar ... just for fun! I would applaud!
ant

Post by ant »

:? Always look on the bright side of life, hey, Hipgnosis!! What would be the point of saying you are going to do something if you are not?? They had no reason to announce that but they did so why would they lie? What would be the point? As I have said before, if you are not interested in anything they may or may not do since Edgar passed, then don't keep posting on the Forum putting downers on everything. Also, I definitely would not want to see Jerome appearing under the name TD ever again. Luckily, I believe that would never happen anyway - thank God!! :)
Biggus Dickus
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

I think Jerome has made it PERFECTLY clear how he feels about any future gigs or recordings.

This sentence was in his post on Facebook when he was promoting the "Final Movement" track

"Well, and let me get this straight: This piece of music isn't a tribute nor it's something which has anything to do with the recent exploitation of my dad's musical remains which I still do not support. "

So the chances of him performing on stage or even appearing on stage with the 'new' TD are about the same as finding life on Mars :)
Jon

Post by Jon »

Must be a little tricky for Jerome though, as he used to be friends with both TQ and Schnauss, and I guess he knows Baumann from the Melrose album from 1990. Must be hard to burn bridges like that.
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

ant wrote::? Always look on the bright side of life, hey, Hipgnosis!!
Ho hum ... old movie! AND the music was by someone else!
ant wrote: ... As I have said before, if you are not interested in anything they may or may not do since Edgar passed, then don't keep posting on the Forum putting downers on everything....
I am VERY interested in what they will do, as individuals. I am not sure, as are others, that anything should (necessarily) be done under the TD totem pole. Well, I guess our civilization lives for worshipping Gods ... so why not?

I think all of us want to be surprised, that something will be new and different, and challenging, and we will go ... wow! From a psychic, and surrealistic, standpoint, that would be something that would be done under a different name/moniker, not Edgar's! His "energy, and psychic feel, is not there on a physical level, and imagining something that is not there, is not going to carry the music.

That is not fatalistic ... it's realistic!
ant wrote: ...
Also, I definitely would not want to see Jerome appearing under the name TD ever again. Luckily, I believe that would never happen anyway - thank God!! :)
Jokes won't go far with you, hey?

I probably would like to put up a cardboard life sized picture of various previous members, as a sort of thank you ... and if they don't want to show up ... fine ... but at least some people will applause vigorously and appreciate everyone ... I mean EVERYONE ... paying a tribute ... and if the son wants to be a turkey ... fine with me! It's his loss and he will regret it! Chances in life ... to do the right thing, only come once ... and they are gone right after!
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:I think Jerome has made it PERFECTLY clear how he feels about any future gigs or recordings.

This sentence was in his post on Facebook when he was promoting the "Final Movement" track

"Well, and let me get this straight: This piece of music isn't a tribute nor it's something which has anything to do with the recent exploitation of my dad's musical remains which I still do not support. "

So the chances of him performing on stage or even appearing on stage with the 'new' TD are about the same as finding life on Mars :)
Don't know why Jerome uses the word "exploitation". I am sure EF gave instructions on how his musical legacy was to be handled and presented. And he probably wanted the Quantum era music to be finished and released. And apart from that we have only had one compilation of tracks that his beloved wife compiled.
I would not call it exploitation.
Keep the music coming. I am hoping for some news on Quantum Gate soon.
Network23

Post by Network23 »

Yes, Jerome's use of the term exploitation is a curious one because, as I pointed out in a different thread, he's issued a compilation drawing on his early years as a member of Tangerine Dream. While he's careful to not explicitly use the name of the band on the cover, everyone knows where they heard the first published versions of the tracks he's compiled.
PurpleTwilight

Post by PurpleTwilight »

Jon wrote:Must be a little tricky for Jerome though, as he used to be friends with both TQ and Schnauss, and I guess he knows Baumann from the Melrose album from 1990. Must be hard to burn bridges like that.
Didn't Edgar divulge in one interview that Jerome didn't really get on well with TQ when the latter became a member? That may partially explain why Jerome left when he did.
Network23 wrote:Yes, Jerome's use of the term exploitation is a curious one because, as I pointed out in a different thread, he's issued a compilation drawing on his early years as a member of Tangerine Dream. While he's careful to not explicitly use the name of the band on the cover, everyone knows where they heard the first published versions of the tracks he's compiled.
I've always been perplexed by Jerome's relationship/attitude toward his dad and TD. I don't know all the intricacies of Jerome and Edgar's working relationship from 1990 to 2006, but it's apparent that they didn't really compose music as a team for the most part. Jerome often loaded the concert setlists with his own compositions/remixes while keeping Edgar's content to a minimum. I'm left with the impression that Jerome didn't have the warmest relationship with his dad (at least not publicly), so it's odd to see him so protective of his dad's legacy. All the while, it's hard to deny that Jerome seems to take his years in the band for granted. This has not been a pleasant subject for me to reflect on, but it's something I'm compelled to comment on as a concerned fan.
Network23

Post by Network23 »

PurpleTwilight wrote:Didn't Edgar divulge in one interview that Jerome didn't really get on well with TQ when the latter became a member? That may partially explain why Jerome left when he did.
Not sure if it was Edgar, but I don't see who else could have said it. But yes, Jerome and Thorsten didn't get along, at least as musical collaborators. The difference in TD's subsequent output was eyebrow-raising. Loads of classic TD tracks found their way back into the sets. Thorsten appeared to do a fair bit of live playing and sequence manipulation on the live vids I've watched.
PurpleTwilight wrote:I've always been perplexed by Jerome's relationship/attitude toward his dad and TD. I don't know all the intricacies of Jerome and Edgar's working relationship from 1990 to 2006, but it's apparent that they didn't really compose music as a team for the most part. Jerome often loaded the concert setlists with his own compositions/remixes while keeping Edgar's content to a minimum.
When I saw the 220 Volt concert in Los Angeles, the only constant between that show and the one in San Diego in 1988 was Edgar. Had he not been there, I would've thought I walked into the wrong concert. And I say this having heard Rockoon beforehand. But apart from Edgar's fantastic guitar solo in "Hamlet" (which is d e l e t e d ! from the Orange Sized Dreams version) and the appearance of "Love on a Real Train," the proceedings resembled a band with an identity crisis.

We didn't know it then, but Jerome had been assigned an extremely significant level of control, and I think many will agree that it resulted in the single worst "era" of the band. It got to the point I could barely listen to TD with Jerome. His techno/EDM leanings were stifling (yet mysteriously nonexistent in the context of Loom). The Dream Mixes albums are almost nearly complete throwaways for me.
PurpleTwilight wrote:I'm left with the impression that Jerome didn't have the warmest relationship with his dad (at least not publicly), so it's odd to see him so protective of his dad's legacy. All the while, it's hard to deny that Jerome seems to take his years in the band for granted. This has not been a pleasant subject for me to reflect on, but it's something I'm compelled to comment on as a concerned fan.
The next album must stand as some kind of proof that Jerome doesn't have much, if any, say in what can be done with the Tangerine Dream brand. I wonder if any rarities will come our way or if Edgar's bidding was that "the vault" be sealed and never opened again.