Mota Atma

cantosis
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by cantosis »

I have said it before and Ill say it again, this album kicks ass!
Erik

Post by Erik »

Chris Monk wrote:Not that keen on Mota Atma, it's more ambient than many TD releases and I'm not that in to ambient music. I still listen to it on occasion but not as much as many of TD's other releases. I remember when it was released that many fans were giving it rave reviews and I would wonder what all the fuss was about. As far as I'm concerned it's a below par performance but not with out it's merits.
i would say it's very well made, and i don't mind the ambient nature of it all. but to me a lot of the tracks are just way too similar. it's hard to ignore.
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
Marakesh

Post by Marakesh »

I can't think of anything good to say about this album. One of the tracks isn't bad but the rest is much too clinical, repetitive, and bland; nearly every track is the same. I sold mine on ebay a few days after I bought it. Still, prefer it to Cyclone though :)
"Their chief failings in social competence are an inability to perceive themselves accurately and annoying others by their dominance and unsuitable jokes."

Michael Argyle
Erik

Post by Erik »

ouch, lol
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

cantosis wrote:I have said it before and Ill say it again, this album kicks ass!
No
I can't think of anything good to say about this album. One of the tracks isn't bad but the rest is much too clinical, repetitive, and bland; nearly every track is the same.
Yes
GlynRichards

Post by GlynRichards »

T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:
cantosis wrote:I have said it before and Ill say it again, this album kicks ass!
No
I can't think of anything good to say about this album. One of the tracks isn't bad but the rest is much too clinical, repetitive, and bland; nearly every track is the same.
Yes
Maybe.

I like some of it.
public class Geeks : IEarth { }
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

GlynRichards wrote:
T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:
No
Yes
Maybe.

I like some of it.
Ditto.

I like some of it and listen to it now and again. I'm just not that wild about it. Hate it? Certainly not.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
mikewp

Post by mikewp »

This has been one of my favorites of the more recent TD output. Ambient, yes I suppose so but the atmospheric sequencers drive it home for me. brings to mind the TD from the 70's which was my favorite era. Thankfully free of the wailing woman voice, guitar solos and dance beats.

And as some said, Seven Letters From Tibet is an underrated masterwork, dark and lovely.
PurpleTwilight

Re: Mota Atma

Post by PurpleTwilight »

This was my latest purchase. I'd previously heard half of the album on Youtube, so I hoped to buy the whole thing at some point. When my copy finally came in the mail, I put the CD in my player and left it there for about a week. I must have listened to it between 8 or 10 times. As others have mentioned, Mota Atma can be a challenging listen. Edgar was clearly in Zen meditation mode during its production, so I can understand why the repetitive music has frustrated several fans. That said, I must admit that I enjoyed the challenge. This album is all about subtlety and nuance. Once you get past the fact that there is little to no pop-ish accessibility in the compositions, you can begin to appreciate the sequencers and everything in between. Granted, this type of musical experience is definitely not for everyone. It's an acquired taste.

This is the third TD record off the top of my head (after Tyranny Of Beauty and Mars Polaris) that made me think, "Wow, Edgar sure loves E minor!" While that key can get really tiring after awhile, I realized that it made me very appreciative of the F-sharp minor forays in "Royal Way Of Privacy". I agree with those who said this album harkens back to the sequencer-heavy 70s period. I guess you can say it's a sort of modern interpretation of an old style. Apart from the aforementioned track, it's hard for me to decide which track is my favorite. I've gotta say, though, that I loved reading Edgar's comments about a few of the tracks in this interview (http://www.tadream.net/articles/intervi ... .25-EF.htm) from 2003. Knowledge of Edgar's philosophical mindset has helped me to appreciate the tracks more. The album finishes rather strongly, with some fine percussion in "Brain Offender" and a glorious evocation of 1998's "Red Ocean" in "A Day In Liberty Valley". Excellent work, Edgar!
redziller

Post by redziller »

E - the guitarist's key maybe?
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
sorcerer

Post by sorcerer »

Very interesting post Purple Twilight. Mota Atma is one I have hardly listened to. I will check it out again this weekend and compare with your thoughts :)
Brien Comerford

Post by Brien Comerford »

Mota Atma is mystical, serene, reflective, tranquil and extremely pleasant music.
Donofrio_TD

Post by Donofrio_TD »

Well, it's very good, but it's kinda repetitive for the most part. It's like the first 5 or 6 tracks are the same one with minimal variations of it, then tracks 8 and 9 are also on the same vein. Not a bad approach at all, but I had to be in the most patient mood to listen to the whole thing. The only tracks I ever really cared for were "Brain Offender", "A Day in Liberty Valley" and my favorite one: "Snow on Angel's Feather". A little TD masterpiece. Actually, this track is the only reason I revisit this record, but I'm not too crazy about it as a whole.
RAYMAN1970

Post by RAYMAN1970 »

Donofrio_TD wrote:Well, it's very good, but it's kinda repetitive for the most part. It's like the first 5 or 6 tracks are the same one with minimal variations of it, then tracks 8 and 9 are also on the same vein. Not a bad approach at all, but I had to be in the most patient mood to listen to the whole thing. The only tracks I ever really cared for were "Brain Offender", "A Day in Liberty Valley" and my favorite one: "Snow on Angel's Feather". A little TD masterpiece. Actually, this track is the only reason I revisit this record, but I'm not too crazy about it as a whole.
That is EXACTLY how I feel about Mota Atma. :D