Sphinx Lightning

Marbury
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Sphinx Lightning

Post by Marbury »

I am just loving listening to this hypnotic track of late. When I have my afternoon snooze it seems to take me off very quickly, and I don't mean because it's boring. It isn't. I love it's minimalism and sparse textures, rhythms. The only niggle for me is at 16:42 when that theme comes in over those mesmerizing drum patterns which I could listen to for much longer. It detracts from the whole otherworldly hypnotic soundscape (which stands up even today) and brings it down to something of a weak melody. It just doesn't do anything for me and doesn't seem to fit in with the piece by hey, as a whole album it is one of their best. My favourite track by far (and one of my all time fav TD tracks) is "No Mans Land" it is stunning and stands up as a true minimalist masterpiece up there with the great modern composers (Glass, Reich, Riley,Eno) I always think the voice in that track is saying "Eleven - B"
Marbury

Re: Sphinx Lightning

Post by Marbury »

Oh well, I thought so anyway.
rigel

Post by rigel »

No, you're not the only fan of this track, I can assure you. Nice write up. I think the Hyperborea album on the whole is very special, although chronologically it does sit between two live album masterpieces, Logos and Poland.

Actually I always think of this track under its slightly different original title "Sphinx of Lightning." Unless that was a misprint on the early Virgin pressings :lol:

I've never been sure what the robotic voice is saying on "No Man's Land"...but you could be right!

Next tme the sun is shining I'm going to lie in my garden and meditate to side two :)
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

I also like Hyperborea but it does, as Rigel says, suffer because it sits between two superb live albums. I always thought that Sphinx Lightening was the weakest track on the album and for me, it is a little repetitive, but still has some great moments. I like all of the other tracks, in particular no mans land.

Sorry I did not comment earlier Marbury - I know how frustrating it can be when you have something to say and no-one seems interested !
Donofrio_TD

Post by Donofrio_TD »

I'm also in love with this album. My favorite track has to be the title track, "Hyperborea" itself. My second favorite is "Cinnamon Road".

As much as I love "Sphinx Lightning", it kinda drags a bit and you're right about the ending. I believe most of that weak element is Johannes Schmoelling's fault, for he was the one who introduced TD to those sorts of pop sounds and experiments. And it may be a bit contradictory, but I like "Sphinx Red Lightning" a bit more, which is a version that appears on the album "Tangerine Dream Plays Tangerine Dream" (very good one, by the way). Probably because it is shorter and it ends on a calmer and melancholic tone.

"No Man's Land" is a great track but, for some reason, it's my least favorite from Hyperborea. I find myself skipping it most of the time, even though it never left my memory banks.
rigel

Post by rigel »

Donofrio_TD wrote:I'm also in love with this album. My favorite track has to be the title track, "Hyperborea" itself. My second favorite is "Cinnamon Road".

As much as I love "Sphinx Lightning", it kinda drags a bit and you're right about the ending. I believe most of that weak element is Johannes Schmoelling's fault, for he was the one who introduced TD to those sorts of pop sounds and experiments. And it may be a bit contradictory, but I like "Sphinx Red Lightning" a bit more, which is a version that appears on the album "Tangerine Dream Plays Tangerine Dream" (very good one, by the way). Probably because it is shorter and it ends on a calmer and melancholic tone.

"No Man's Land" is a great track but, for some reason, it's my least favorite from Hyperborea. I find myself skipping it most of the time, even though it never left my memory banks.
That's interesting what you say about "No Man's Land." To me, it is an absolute classic but I do find if I don't listen to it for ages, then spontaneously put it on, I rediscover its magic all over again. It is the same with the title track. It is beautiful, but very much a mood piece for me. When in the right frame of mind I find it very evocative.