Worst TD tracks

Jon
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: Worst TD tracks

Post by Jon »

zygote23 wrote:Albums I listen to:-
Zeit
Atem
Alpha Centauri
Green Desert
White Eagle
Tangram
Pergamon
Ricochet
Poland
Phaedra
Rubycon
Cyclone
Stratosfear
Exit
Logos
Hyperborea
Encore
Force Majeure
Thief
Sorcerer
Wavelength

Bar one or two tracks here and there from their other albums I pretty much dislike everything else :(

My most listened to would be Ricochet, Poland and Pergamon which I play weekly here.
Ouch, you miss a lot of good stuff post-1983... :shock:
rigel

Post by rigel »

One track I always disliked was "Twin Soul Tribe" which is on the OPTICAL RACE album.

I think this is because it appeared on an (for me, anyway) otherwise excellent record. I remember buying OPTICAL RACE on import vinyl (at the late lamented Virgin Megastore in Oxford St, London) in August 1988. Although it was the first studio album without Chris Franke, it blew me away at the time - it just sounded so fresh and melodic, with great rhythms and outstanding production. The only flaw for me was this flipping awful piece "Twin Soul Tribe." Nestled as it was between the beautiful "Mothers of Rain" and the fun title track, it just seemed so out of place.

I bet someone is now going to say they actually love this track :wink:
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

rigel wrote:One track I always disliked was "Twin Soul Tribe" which is on the OPTICAL RACE album.

I think this is because it appeared on an (for me, anyway) otherwise excellent record. I remember buying OPTICAL RACE on import vinyl (at the late lamented Virgin Megastore in Oxford St, London) in August 1988. Although it was the first studio album without Chris Franke, it blew me away at the time - it just sounded so fresh and melodic, with great rhythms and outstanding production. The only flaw for me was this flipping awful piece "Twin Soul Tribe." Nestled as it was between the beautiful "Mothers of Rain" and the fun title track, it just seemed so out of place.

I bet someone is now going to say they actually love this track :wink:
I think the only weak track on Optical Race is the title track.
PurpleTwilight

Post by PurpleTwilight »

One track I always disliked was "Twin Soul Tribe" which is on the OPTICAL RACE album.
What's your opinion of "Turning Off The Wheel"? That song does nothing for me. I can tolerate "Twin Soul Tribe," even though the apparent 'desert theme' is hardly original or noteworthy.

Just for kicks, I decided to listen to "Turning Off The Wheel" right now. It's not awful, but I'd need to be in the right mood to appreciate it. Someone once hinted that it's one of Edgar's compositions, and I must say I believe it.
rigel

Post by rigel »

PurpleTwilight wrote:
What's your opinion of "Turning Off The Wheel"? That song does nothing for me. I can tolerate "Twin Soul Tribe," even though the apparent 'desert theme' is hardly original or noteworthy.

Just for kicks, I decided to listen to "Turning Off The Wheel" right now. It's not awful, but I'd need to be in the right mood to appreciate it. Someone once hinted that it's one of Edgar's compositions, and I must say I believe it.
I think you're almost certainly right that "Turning Off The Wheel" is an Edgar track. I quite like it, although it is certainly a mood piece: repetitive and hypnotic.

I have just recalled that a long time ago I lent this album to a friend. He liked most of it, but told me that he listened to it once while stuck for ages in a traffic jam, and a few minutes of "Turning Off The Wheel" in these frustrating circumstances drove him nuts and made him want to throw the cassette out of the car :lol:
Jon

Post by Jon »

Twin Soul Tribe is indeed a weak track. Turning Off The Wheel is slightly better, while Optical Race is a quite fun track.
PurpleTwilight

Post by PurpleTwilight »

All this time, I forgot to mention "Storm Seekers" and "Cool Shibuya". I always skip them.
rigel

Post by rigel »

"Funky Atlanta." I suppose it's meant as a fun track and should be appreciated as just that, but I always thought it was awful. Although I enjoyed a lot of ROCKOON when it came out...
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

PurpleTwilight wrote:All this time, I forgot to mention "Storm Seekers" and "Cool Shibuya". I always skip them.
Wonderful tracks in my opinion.
phaedra1974

Post by phaedra1974 »

Worst track for me: "Dancing on a white moon"
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

phaedra1974 wrote:Worst track for me: "Dancing on a white moon"
I LOVE this track !!!!!
rigel

Post by rigel »

Steve C wrote:
I LOVE this track !!!!!
I've always felt like I shouldn't really enjoy "Dancing on a White Moon." But actually I do, despite myself. Kind of a guilty pleasure, this track :)

Another track I'm not keen on: "Gecko" from LILY ON THE BEACH. I was playing this album to a friend of mine and when this track came on he said: "Welcome to Wendy's Hamburgers!" :lol:
Jon

Post by Jon »

It had been better with a better vocalist. The song itself is not so bad.
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

Weird ... did you list Mozart's worst pieces? Wagner's? How about Beatles?

An artist is an artist, and we either appreciate thm as such or we don't. That you like the Blue period and don't like the Pink Period and think Guernica is off its rocker, is your personal opinion, and that has nothing to do with "worst" at all.

Now, you be TD for a minute and then read your comments again! I bet you would feel really good.

But that's not the point.

You either respect the artist for their work in its entirety, or go kiss some other top ten group out there and leave this board! Very simple!

I can not, honestly, say, that there are any pieces I dislike in TD! PERIOD!
Network23

Re:

Post by Network23 »

trekky and smurfy wrote:we do not really hate any TD music, but the LP ' LE PARC ' is pretty dire.

bought this on vinyl when it first came out, only played it a couple of times.

must be the best vinyl copy around nowadays, like brand new

steve/lisa
Wow, I am floored. Even though it is now 30 years old (!!!), I think Le Parc is the best example of the contemporary rock sound that TD would resume on Lily on the Beach. I lost count of how many times I played this when I first got it; loads of great melodies, fine piano playing, and carefully crafted compositions (as opposed to the blander sound that marred many a tune throughout the Miramar albums, though there's good material there, too).

"Le Parc," "Central Park," "Tiergarten," "Bois de Boulogne"...this line-up never disappointed. There may be a mere handful of pieces that the F/F/S config didn't outright impress me with, but by and large they never disappointed, and IMO they never produced anything I'd rate as "dire." :|