Jarre

rigel
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Jarre

Post by rigel »

Continuing from a discussion of Jarre in the "recorded music" forum ...

I was ever so frustrated about Geometry of Love. Basically I never found a copy of that album. In the first place I missed it as I'd not been particularly into Jarre for a while. My first exposure to any music from this release was the track that Jarre plays on his Jarre in China live dvd. I absolutely love this piece and wish I had the whole CD to explore.

But as for Zoolook, I remember Jarre himself speaking highly of that album years later. It was very different and very original when it came out. Still sounds brilliant today, especially Ethnicolor, which still sends shivers down my spine. It's just so well put together. The album showcases a really inventive use of voice samples and some excellent backup from musicians such as the great Adrian Belew and Laurie Anderson.

I admit I have to be in the right mood to listen to and fully appreciate this album today, but it is amazing!
sparrow

Re: Jarre

Post by sparrow »

Aye Zoolook was way ahead of anything out there on its release. Klaus Schulze used similar sampling but years later. I remember buying Zoolook back on release and thought it was dire. However as a LP bought was an event back then persevered with it and its up there with Jarres best. I need to dust of the LP or CD and have a listen again as its been a few years since its seen th edeck.
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

I've just realised that I know virtually nothing of Jarre's output since Cousteau. I loved revisiting Cousteau a week or so ago - Calypso 2 is very good. and the long CD version of the title track was as good as I remember - my only criticism is that the lonely piano notes are too high in the mix, IMHO.
rigel

Post by rigel »

Steve C wrote:I've just realised that I know virtually nothing of Jarre's output since Cousteau. I loved revisiting Cousteau a week or so ago - Calypso 2 is very good. and the long CD version of the title track was as good as I remember - my only criticism is that the lonely piano notes are too high in the mix, IMHO.
I think it's a nice album to revisit. It has a great vibe to it and the contrast between side one and side two (as I still like to think of albums!) makes it an unusual album in the Jarre canon. Yeah, Calypso 2 is the most dramatic, funky, feel good, sexiest track ever. I love the slow build up, with the seagull sounds and underwater gurgles and whatnot giving way to layer on layer of synths, sequencers and great drum programming. And of course the steel drums in the background. And the way the track explodes with such energy and passion near the end ... best played loud on a good sound system I've found!

It's just an amazing piece and I wish Jarre has carried on making more music in this vein as I felt this piece was like the pinnacle of his most creative and successful period, from Oxygene to Waiting for Cousteau. Calypso 2 ended up being kind of like him going out in a blaze of glory, though I'm not saying he hasn't made any good music since - I've just found his subsequent albums inconsistent. Mind you, I may listen to Hey, Gagarin tonight!
TDludo

Post by TDludo »

This is a rare Jarre "ambient" project:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxMDOoDJ9UE
A new cosmic address for the Master Dreamer...