R I P Ravi Shankar

la sagesse du destin
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

R I P Ravi Shankar

Post by la sagesse du destin »

R I P Ravi Shankar,
A maestro of the music including of course the collaboration with George Harrison, but too a great album with Philip Glass (Passages)and...
Tana Mana the album realased on the Label Private Music (Peter Baumann)
Infinite thanks to all the peoples from Eastgate and TD for the Japan Raffle.
www.tangram-dream.fr
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

(Had to add to it, and we doubled up the threads ... I removed mine, btw and added things here to yours.)

Wanted to post it here, but then ... it is not electronic music, but I doubt that someone like Ravi would not be appreciated in many of the music schools in Germany ... that would have enjoyed the "raga" process, as so many bands did in the early days, of what eventually became considered "krautrock".

I remember seeing Yehudi Menuhin and Ravi Shankar in Chicago in one of their "East Meets West" tours and the large impact that it had. However, that night in Chicago is also one of the saddest visuals I have ever seen in my life ... the fat old ladies coming out of the theater, and one of them, louder than the others, speaking about ... "all that improvisation, and how can you call that music?" ... it didn't help that the folks in the class all thought that "Man of La Mancha" with Richard Kiley was way better and more important, which tells you about the pull a Hollywood pastiche has on the audiences here in America. No one had ever heard Yehudi, and the sitar was not an instrument ...

I will miss Ravi, no less or more than I would miss an Edgar, a Vangelis or a Mike Oldfield ... you take that inspiration to a level that goes beyond words, and each time all you can do is shush ... and enjoy the visuals one more time ... the same as the best works of literature do to you, the best art works do to you, and the best music does to you!

I always thought of the "raga" as the piece of music that is designed to help you get "off" the mechanics, and learn how to find that inner dervish within you that can help you define music ... like no ohter person can, in the instrument that you have.

It has been "decreed" by all modern music places, that you can not do this with electric instruments that no one with a guitar will ever do, it, or the stamina to play for an hour or two and then some ... and in this sense, folks like Klaus Schulze could be said to really hammer home this idea, of floating forever ... and Tangerine Dream did for a long time as well with the really long cuts that you could simply close your eyes ... and die with the music!

There are musicians, and then there are GIANTS ... and the giants will forever be remembered, because what they did was a lot more than just ... music ... it was the ultimate illustration that there is an inner language that we can communicate with ... that has a language, that we all understand, but rarely speak it, and many times, we shut it off because that is a sitar, or that is something else, like a noisy guitar!

With much love, care, and appreciation, for showing many of us ... that only the music matters!
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

RIP RS.
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
EDWEIRDO

Post by EDWEIRDO »

Jon

Post by Jon »

EDWEIRDO wrote:Image
Who's on the picture? Edgar, George Harrison...and...?
Jon

Re: R I P Ravi Shankar

Post by Jon »

la sagesse du destin wrote:R I P Ravi Shankar,
A maestro of the music including of course the collaboration with George Harrison, but too a great album with Philip Glass (Passages)and...
Tana Mana the album realased on the Label Private Music (Peter Baumann)
I had no idea he had released an album on Private Music! Seems like Patrick O'Hearn plays bass on it, and George Harrison synth. Interesting.

http://www.discogs.com/Ravi-Shankar-Pro ... se/1060732

http://www.amazon.com/Ravi-Shankar-Proj ... =tana+mana